Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two puppies, 10 wks (Blue Heeler/Kelpie) & 12 wks (Bull Terrier). I read that I should follow the amount of food on the label but that only calls for 1/2 - 2/3 a cup of food for my 12lbs pups per setting. So my question is... I feed them twice a day and after eating they are continually looking around for more food.. sniffing etc etc.. even an hour or more afterwards. Is this natural?

I tried giving them a full cup and they still act hungry.. anything more and it looks like their bellies are going to burst. Should I be feeding them the recommended amount 3x a day?

Looking for feedback.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Some dogs will never have enough to eat! Chowhounds. My Rott ate an entire 20-pound bag in one sitting when he was that age (he pulled it off the shelf while his previous owners were at work). So don't go by how much they want to eat. Look at their body condition--if they're not too fat or too skinny, it's the right amount of food.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota would eat himself to death if I let him, but he's got a nice waist, a good tuck and nicely covered ribs, so he's fine.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
LOL - Bella lives to eat - she would have an endless bowl of food if she had her way.

I don't recommend going by what the bag of food says to feed (ask your vet how much is enough)!! Some foods say for a dog Bella's weight (60 lbs) to feed something like four to six cups a day!! She'd be walking on her belly if I followed that advice...I'm sure she wouldn't complain.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My Kelpie mix was a chow hound up until 6 months of age, becuase he was very active though, I feed him a little more than recommended amount. He eats raw mostly though and kibble usually on weekday mornings, but I was feeding him 1-3/4 cup of kibble in the mornings when he was growing rapidly, and he would get about 10 ounces of raw meat,bones and organs in the evenings and he didn't get fat, however I slowly decreased the kibble portion down to 1-1/4 cup, and now at 8 months he shows little interest in kibble so I feed 1 cup of kibble and increased his raw portion in the evening..which he wolfs down no probs, and he's still very lean dog but he gets sufficient moderate exercise on a daily basis.

·
Registered
246 Posts
LOL - Bella lives to eat - she would have an endless bowl of food if she had her way.

I don't recommend going by what the bag of food says to feed (ask your vet how much is enough)!! Some foods say for a dog Bella's weight (60 lbs) to feed something like four to six cups a day!! She'd be walking on her belly if I followed that advice...I'm sure she wouldn't complain.
Yeah, the thing about bag recommendations is that the formula used to determine them is as flawed as the human BMI estimations from height and weight alone. There are other factors that contribute to the overall picture. Every dog is individual and they all take fine tuning. I have a friend whose dog is eating double the bag recommendation and still seems a little on the bony side, while my boy, last time I checked was eating about half the bag recommendation, wasn't particularly hungry or food motivated and any time I experimented with going up a little, he'd start to get pudgy.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Since they are so young, I'd break the feedings into three times a day if you can. You don't have to give more, just spread out the meal to three instead of two. Little tummies like getting food more often. :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
actually, at my vet clinic we suggest our puppy owners to feed their puppies daily portion into 4 feedings. your breeds are very active and keep in mind they are growing puppies who burn off a lot of calories. so this daily portion should be a fair amount. just like with our children when they get into their growth spurts they want to eat you out of house and home. Puppies grow to maturity in approx. 1 years time. the food they eat and the nutrients they take turns into new tissue and bone mass as they grow. On top of their feeding they should get some inexpensive daily vitamins to help add even more nutrients. Get good quality food the better the quality the less they will need to eat. corn or corn meal should never been in the top 5+ ingredients. quality food DOES NOT come with a big price tag. as a matter of fact certain "expensive brands" of food have garbage ingredients take 5 minutes to look at the bags next time you visit the store. Also your puppies should eat puppy food for the first year of their life. However if you have any adult dogs puppy food will pack the pounds on them so I would not recommend letting them eat the puppy food. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Putting a portion of the puppies' food into toys like a Kong will make their meals last longer, keep them occupied and encourage them to chew on something other than your furniture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts