Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a a new 10 week old Mini Goldendoodle that got a couple days ago. I have been been getting him used to a crate by giving him some treats and sitting by him. However, at night when we first put him in he likes to bark and whine. I will then sit next to him and just comfort him and pet him a little through the crate (I do not give treats at this time). He then lays down and goes to sleep.

My question is, am I reinforcing bad behavior with this? Or this is ok to show he is comforted. His crate is the end of the bed. Would it be better to put it next to me too?

Thank you to everyone for the help as this is my first post! Just couldn't find anyone else with the problem here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've always kept puppies in a crate beside my bed where I could tell them to hush if I needed to. Never petted them in the crate, though. I think it's best to be matter of fact about it but also give them the comfort of close presence. All mine ended up excellent in crates.

P.S. I also always slept fully dressed when they were little so if they started fussing in the middle of the night all I had to do was stick my feet in shoes, get them out of the crate, pick them up, and hustle them outside. :)

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I think if you're petting him proactively as part of the ritual of soothing him and putting him to bed, as opposed to petting him after he gets noisy or whatever, you're good. The thing is just not to reward undesirable behaviors. My puppy still sleeps in his crate (18 months...he's not reliable around the house unattended at night yet) right next to my bed and I often reach over to scritch him through the bars while I'm reading or whatever in bed, but only if he's being quiet and calm and settled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for that! I actually moved his crate right next to my bed and it seems to have helped. I can just put my arm down and he knows I am there which helps him stay quiet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts