Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok being a vegetarian I actively post on one of the popular vegetarian sites. Today I posted a recipe for some liver treats I'd made the other day for Chocolate. Mind you I posted this in the RECIPES FOR PETS section, not the main vegetarian section of the forum. Nor were there any rules or sticky's saying there were restrictions on the types of recipes you can post. AND many posters on that board feed their dogs and cats a meat-based diet.

I basically started by saying I thought I'd be a good alternative for people who don't want to buy the crappy treats offered in grocery stores and don't want to spend tons of money on the high end meaty treats. And I simply posted the recipe. There was nothing inflammatory about it. I titled the thread "Liver Treats for dogs" so If someone wasn't comfortable with cooking meat they wouldn't click the link(and of course they did)

In response I get a couple nasty comments. One part of the recipe I mentioned "Any kind of liver is fine", one lady says "well can I use your liver then". And shortly after I got a message from the moderator saying that my thread was deleted. The mod said

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I deleted your recipe for liver treats. Although many of us here feed our pets meat products, this isn't the place to be posting recipes about preparing meat. The pet recipe section is meant to be for veggie treats only.

I guess what irritates me most is the fact that people are willing to compromise their pet's health out of their own personal interest. I feel like I may be getting way to worked up about the whole thing but it honestly makes me crazy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ehhhh.....seems a little nit picky (on their part) to me. But the lady that asked to use your liver--seems a little nutty to me. Then again, I'm not a vegetarian, so that is the perspective I'm coming from.

But I guess in the grand scheme of things, their forum, their rules. And the good thing about forums is, if they tick you off--you can take a break and go back later, if you so choose. :)

I got dismembered from a fish group on facebook--all because an ex-member of that group either left the the group, or got deleted and then started her own group and added me. I was told that it was disrespectful to be on that group since it was run the same way. Well, I was just added, I didn't ask to be, nor accept--but seriously? Grow up dude. It is just a group on facebook. Not your livelihood. I don't do drama well and I sure don't do well with dictation of what I can or can't do from something so trivial as a dag on fish group. Whew, there I feel better.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ok being a vegetarian I actively post on one of the popular vegetarian sites. Today I posted a recipe for some liver treats I'd made the other day for Chocolate. Mind you I posted this in the RECIPES FOR PETS section, not the main vegetarian section of the forum. Nor were there any rules or sticky's saying there were restrictions on the types of recipes you can post. AND many posters on that board feed their dogs and cats a meat-based diet.

I basically started by saying I thought I'd be a good alternative for people who don't want to buy the crappy treats offered in grocery stores and don't want to spend tons of money on the high end meaty treats. And I simply posted the recipe. There was nothing inflammatory about it. I titled the thread "Liver Treats for dogs" so If someone wasn't comfortable with cooking meat they wouldn't click the link(and of course they did)

In response I get a couple nasty comments. One part of the recipe I mentioned "Any kind of liver is fine", one lady says "well can I use your liver then". And shortly after I got a message from the moderator saying that my thread was deleted. The mod said

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I deleted your recipe for liver treats. Although many of us here feed our pets meat products, this isn't the place to be posting recipes about preparing meat. The pet recipe section is meant to be for veggie treats only.

I guess what irritates me most is the fact that people are willing to compromise their pet's health out of their own personal interest. I feel like I may be getting way to worked up about the whole thing but it honestly makes me crazy.
I agree. We have no place putting our moral beliefs on other animals, I think it is cruel, especially when it can be detrimental to their health. That is why PETA pisses me off, they want people to give their dogs and cats vegetarian/vegan diets (http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/vegetarian-cats-and-dogs.aspx). Make me ANGRY. Dogs do not need veggies, and cats should not have veggies ever. Their bodies are designed to properly digest them, can you imagine a 100% veggie diet for a carnivore?

I think they should have been clearer in their rules.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The way I see it, if you don't want to feed your pet carnivore the proper food, then don't get a pet carnivore. Get a vegetarian pet like a rabbit.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I guess they aren't against feeding their pets a meat-based diet (well, some of them probably are), but actually cutting up meat and cooking it is probably too much for them. I know that the smell of cooking meat makes me nauseated. . .and I'm not (fully) vegetarian! And, ugh, especially liver. I wouldn't immediately jump to "they're compromising their pets' health!", as long as they do feed some meat-based foods to their carnivore pets. But they should be more clear in their rules. If meat recipes aren't allowed in the pet recipes section, they should say so.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I think the issue of how others on that site may or may not feed their pet is a completely separate issue from whether recipes containing meat are allowed to be posted. Their board, their rules, and honestly it makes complete sense to me to prohibit meat-containing recipes on a vegetarian site. Although - it should be clearly communicated in the pet section for sure. They probably assume it's implied in the general board rules but that's what assuming gets you, I guess.

I do think the "can I use your liver" comment was pretty unacceptable, though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess they aren't against feeding their pets a meat-based diet (well, some of them probably are), but actually cutting up meat and cooking it is probably too much for them. I know that the smell of cooking meat makes me nauseated. . .and I'm not (fully) vegetarian! And, ugh, especially liver. I wouldn't immediately jump to "they're compromising their pets' health!", as long as they do feed some meat-based foods to their carnivore pets. But they should be more clear in their rules. If meat recipes aren't allowed in the pet recipes section, they should say so.

yeah i'm starting to realize that's the main thing they were getting at, but then again no one was making them click the link.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Imho, if some feed their dogs a meat-based diet, and they have a pet recipe section, then they should allow your recipe. Unless the section clearly states no recipes made with meat should be listed, then you did nothing wrong. But, I've found that quite a few "blogs" and "forums" have rules for some people that are different than rules for others. Oh well....I agree you should post the recipe here where I'm sure it will be well received. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
For my 2 cents worth I would not post or lurk on any site, I'm not wanted at or who's values do not reflect my own.
So I would beat the feet as it were.

BTW I would love to have the recipe as well . ;)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm vegan and have been very active on veg sites online for many years. All the sites I've been on have rules where discussions about consuming or preparing meat for anyone/anything are not permitted. MOST veg*ns support feeding meat to cats/dogs, and many feed raw diets. It doesn't mean they don't believe that liver treats are good for dogs, but the guidelines of the boards probably are clear that posts promoting the purchase/preparation of meat are not allowed. I don't think it's worth complaining about, since I'm sure you agreed to the rules when you registered for the forum (same as agreeing to certain rules when registering for this forum). So yea, I think you're overreacting. It doesn't sound like you got banned, and no one was rude about it.

(FWIW, my three cats and dogs are all fed meat based diets)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts