Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Merlin is home and what seems likes so far he has been pretty well behaved. He pees, poos outside and has been responding to his name etc. Well I suppose I cannot be so lucky throughout all my experience as I has imagined. I have done all my research and I felt very very comfortable with bringing my guy home
All is fine and dandy, he's been in the crate ( travelled silently home in it ) and loved his play pen. My better half and I get him ready for bed, he goes in, he has his snuggle puppy all warm and ready, a blanket with his siblings scent one it and a blanket over the crate.
There is the occasional whine, we ignore it, not wanting to promote it and he finally falls asleep. I was thinking myself luck!wow this is unheard of. Sleeping, no accidents. Around 1:30 he let out a little whimper , I was aware he would have to do his business in the night. Take him once the whining stops. He goes out, pees and poos. Back to bed. Well this was not his idea once in bed whining starts, I ignore, no giving in. It getslouder and more sad ( seriously breaking my heart)but we leave him. We live in a townhouse so the neighbors can hear and start complaining. My fiancé gets on the ground hand in crate, nothing, it's getting worst. He takes him outside again, puts back in crate, crying is fierce. We have to make a rash decision. Jeff sleeps on the floor with Merlin, who is half in half out ofthe crate. He sleeps through the night. I am kicking my self. Have I created a monster?

Next steps?...

Lucky for puppies they are cute lol... Who needs sleep right?

Advice welcomed!

Pics on there way.,

·
Registered
89 Posts
You will have if you keep giving in to him. Just be persistent and ignore him, not even eye contact. He will get it eventually. Otherwise, he's probably going to end up sleeping with you forever.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I agree with all the above and would add doing some crate sleep/conditioning during daytime hours.

oldhounddog
Seconded. Work on it during the day as much as you can. Your neighbors will be more forgiving up the volume then that in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You should also talk to your neighbors and explain what you're doing. The whining will get worse before it gets better but if you don't give in it will go away, which is what you all want. Beg them for patience and emphasize that you are doing absolutely everything you can to raise a well-behaved and QUIET dog.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Frequently, if you can ignore the whining, it stops after the first 3 nights... It sounds like you don't have that option. Another suggestion is to take the pup out for potty every hour, or every two hours, then put the pup back into the crate with no interaction, except potty duty.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You might consider the old tricks of a warm waterbottle and a ticking clock wrapped up in a blanket in the crate with the pup to simulate the warm body and heart beat of his littermates/mother. Might help you get through the first few nights.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I agree with talking to the neighbors and working on it during the day time.

I hated it when we were crate training Kodi, because he doesn't just cry when he is sad, he HOWLS!. And it is honestly the saddest sound I have ever heard in my life, (except Taps at a funeral). I swear it is a sound straight from his soul. He only does it when he is locked away from the family and cant see us. Thank goodness I only hear it like 3 times a year.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You should also talk to your neighbors and explain what you're doing. The whining will get worse before it gets better but if you don't give in it will go away, which is what you all want. Beg them for patience and emphasize that you are doing absolutely everything you can to raise a well-behaved and QUIET dog.
I hate neighbors >:/. I had complaints when I lived in thr city & I explained to them that i had a new baby puppy & it gets worse before it gets better, some didn't get it, if they didn't then too bad for them IMHO. Which is why I don't miss living in the city at all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update!

Thank you everyone for your kind messages and advice

Spoke with Neighbours and found them to be understanding. It was a night we left the window open as did they so they could hear our little bundle screaming bloody murder. Back to the ignoring.. He has been a delight

It is night 6 and Merlin has been going to bed without crying, wakes up at 2 and then 5 for potty. He has come a long way!

How does one attach the pictures I promised?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep the payment for good advice is cute puppy pics ;) (meant humorously of course :) ).
Yeah! Piccies! :D

I second all the above advice, and add make sure your puppy is getting LOTS of stimulation during the day. Not just exercise, but learning and socialization. That will tire his little self out, and keep him from developing neurotic behaviors too. Bonus!

BTW, to attach a picture, save them to someplace like your website, Photobucket or some such, copy the URL address, then come on over here and use the little picture icon above the posting window to paste in your picture's URL. Give that a shot! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts