Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My German Shepherd puppy is 8 months old and weighs 37kg. I have always fed him based on an adult weight of 40kg and wondered if I should up his feed to say 45kg - 50kg? Can anyone help?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Puppies should get a lot more than what they will eat as adults. My puppy got 3.75 cups a day when she was a baby, she is now 8 months old and I have cut her down to 3 cups a day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that, at the moment he's getting 300kg for both breakfast and dinner, do you think that's enough?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i would love to help but your post doesnt make sense.... if your dog is going to be 40kg full grown... youre feeding him 45kg of food?! from what i find 45kg is 99lbs! this cant be right. then later you said youre feeding him 300kg for breakfast and dinner.... what? lol. im soooo confused! 300kg is 661lbs!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry GreatDaneMom got my kg and g mixed up.... My German Shepherd Pup is 8 months old and is currently weighing 37kg. I'm not sure how what his weight will be when fully grown. I have always based his feed on him being 40kg when fully grown which works out to be 270g for both breakfast and dinner. But seen as he is now 37kg I'm wondering if I need to up his feed based on him being say45-50 kg or heavier?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We deliberately underfeed our pup a bit on kibbles because we're training with a lot of food rewards (most of which are just kibble) so he makes up the calories in rewards. As long as he's growing well, and his ribs are palpable but not visible, and isn't acting hungry all the time, I imagine he's getting enough.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't know much about GSDs but a quick google search tells me males typically weigh between 30 and 40kg. If he is 37kg at 8 months that seems about normal. The major growth spurt usually ends after 6-8 months. As a larger breed he wont be fully grown until around 18-24 months but the last months of growth are much slower compared to the first in my experience. I would still feed based on him being 40kg full grown unless he is a mix breed or his parents were larger than the breed standard.

How is his body condition? Can you easily feel his ribs? See a waist line?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Gally, Thank you for your response that's really helpful. Logan is a pedigree GSD, you can see a waist line but can't see his ribs, people i have spoken too don't think he will grow much taller but will just fill out. The feed he gets is a growth feed for all breeds but it is for the larger dog. I does say that he will need to go over to adult feed at 12 months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for that, Logan is also in training and get s a fair amount of rewards but these are actually treats. I might use his kiible as you do which will hopefully give him that little extra and if he starts to put too much weight on I'll readdress the issue. Thank you again. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts