Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I feeding my Husky/Labrador mix right?

Hi,

I feed my dog the regular Pedigree adult food, yellow bag with the blue letters as well as meats, bones, etc.

He's 5 years old and is a Husky / Labrador Mix.

Is that ok?

I will also read the stickies for more info.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Well there are certainly better foods out there than pedigree, you could probably get a food that's way better quality for just a little bit more. Make sure the bones you give him (if they're raw) have meat on them. Pedigree is low quality and has been involved in quite a few recalls and several dogs have died from bad pedigree during the recalls. But if it's the best you can feed then it's just simply the best you can do, there are plenty of people who don't even feed their dog. Pedigree is pretty cheap but I think Diamond foods are close to the price of Pedigree and it's pretty good, and if you have a Costco nearby I've heard alot of good things about kirkland dog food and it's cheap.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What kind of dog food budget are you on? If you have some "wiggle room" I'd say there are definitely MUCH healthier foods out there for your dog.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well there are certainly better foods out there than pedigree, you could probably get a food that's way better quality for just a little bit more. Make sure the bones you give him (if they're raw) have meat on them. Pedigree is low quality and has been involved in quite a few recalls and several dogs have died from bad pedigree during the recalls. But if it's the best you can feed then it's just simply the best you can do, there are plenty of people who don't even feed their dog. Pedigree is pretty cheap but I think Diamond foods are close to the price of Pedigree and it's pretty good, and if you have a Costco nearby I've heard alot of good things about kirkland dog food and it's cheap.
Oh really? And I always thought it was a better food source.

So Diamond foods and Kirkland dog foods :)?

The last major recall was with the Menu Foods disaster, so I avoid all their brands, and they have quite a few. Thx for the info!

I've been giving him cooked meat, and barbequed meat like steaks, sausages and hamburgers, and sometimes cooked bone with no meat on it. Think that's ok?

What kind of dog food budget are you on? If you have some "wiggle room" I'd say there are definitely MUCH healthier foods out there for your dog.
Hi there, I can probably spend let's say double of what I'm spending now I guess, the thing is that he isnt even eating his food on a regular basis because he waits and waits until I put him some type of our food in his dish now lol. I would love to switch to a different and better type of food right about now, especially if it's much healthier for him.

Please recommend me some food brands, and deserts/snacks also :)

Thx guys.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm still fairly new to this myself as I'm only on my dog's second brand of food but I've come across alot of info online thats "enlightened me". I fed my last dog almost exclusively Purina or Pedigree or whatever Wal-Mart had at the time and I really regret it now watching his health deteriorate so much in his later years. Theres a ton of information out there that I'm sure will "open your eyes" too.Be sure to check out www.thedogfoodproject.com and www.dogfoodanalysis.com. These sites break down what's in just about every food on the market right now.

The 2 brands that I've used most recently for my 2 year old Husky are Blue Buffalo and Wellness Core and both I feel would be a major step-up from Pedigree. A few other brands that I would look into(haven't tried them but have heard many good things about each of them)...Orijen,Taste of the Wild, Innova, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, California Naturals, Timberwolf Organics,and Solid Gold...I'm sure I've left some good brands off by mistake but thats a good starting point. Many of them might not be available locally but they're all available online(what isnt now?)

Also with the meat that you supplement...I think thats a great idea. I feed Nico ground beef,turkey drumsticks,chicken livers,etc all the time. She loves it and I see it as being one of the healthiest treats I can give her.

Good luck with finding a great food for your pup

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Never feed cooked bones. Cooking hte bones makes them brittle and prone to splintering which can perforate a dog's intestines. Feeding cooked meat is fine. But it seems that you have now acclimated your dog to the idea that his meal is not complete without human food. Not sure this is a good idea in the long run. If you want him to eat dog food then you need to stop feeding him your food. He could become a picky eater if you continue the practice of feeding human food. And then you will get into a perpetual cycle of trying every dog food on the market. I guess my bottom line is either feed a raw food human grade diet or stick with dog food...and no treats from the human table.

I would investigate the websites mentioned above and then decide on 3-5 foods that you could live with for your dog. If you have a ranch/farm store or independent (privately owned, not Petco type) dog store you could see if they have free sample bags of the food you would like to try. You may think something is an awesome food but your dog may not agree. So I would try a few and see which he likes best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we feed our dogs NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE Dog Food they like it and where I live we can get it for 30 to 40 dollars for 40 pounds. It is good enough that humans can eat it....never tried it though, sounds like a kid thing to me. lol

·
Registered
566 Posts
I currently feed my dog Sadie Kirkland, and she's been on it for a while. She is doing really well on it. And she loves it.

I was going to put Kina on their puppy formula, but there is something in the food, and I suspect that it is chicken, that she doesn't agree with it. So I went with California Naturals for her.

I'll be switching Sadie to the same food as Kina, just to keep both dogs on the same food.

But if you're on a budget, by all means, go with Kirkland. It's a good quality food.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh really? And I always thought it was a better food source.

So Diamond foods and Kirkland dog foods :)?

<snip>

Hi there, I can probably spend let's say double of what I'm spending now I guess, the thing is that he isnt even eating his food on a regular basis because he waits and waits until I put him some type of our food in his dish now lol. I would love to switch to a different and better type of food right about now, especially if it's much healthier for him.

Please recommend me some food brands, and deserts/snacks also :)

Thx guys.
How much do you spend per lb right now? Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lover's Soul is a nice kibble for a good price. And TOTW is a great food for a good price. I think they both run about $1/lb...TOTW maybe a bit more. Kirkland runs about $0.50/lb, and while it is not quite the quality of the two listed above, it's better than Pedigree. It's a good food for the price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm spending around 1$ per lbs now. LoL, you guys all have a different opinion arghhhhh! How are we going to figure all this out, how should we do this? Should I buy 2 at a time and figure out which one he likes best?

I think I've ruined his coat/fur as well because of bad grooming, but Ill ask in the grooming section, not sure if there is a type of food that helps with the coat as well?

Ok so no more cooked bones for him, no more table scaps either? He eats a lot of meat, he could probably eat 10 lbs in one setting, easily I think.

He's 50 to 60 lbs now. I need to make a list of everyone's suggestions!

PS> At the Wal Mart and every supermarket here in my area, and probably in Canada, an 8kg bag (around 17lbs) costs like 15.99-18.99, let's say around 15 US. A bigger bag would cost less per lbs for sure. I honestly dont mind paying double for his food, as I dont have many expenses and a better job now as well. Especially if the food will make him healthier, another thing is that I only walk him around 20 mins per day, 2 walks of 10 mins each, but I do plan on getting a mounatin bike and taking him for longer runs. I will definately cut down on the human foods as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't give him meat,bones,scraps etc if he doesn't eat his own food...give it to him AFTER he eats his dry food.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm currently feeding my dog Innova EVO and she's doing very well on it. I've also heard wonderful things about TOTW and Orijen, which I do plan on trying in the future.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you're able to spend up to $2/lb, you'll be able to choose from just about anything. :)

I would recommend getting some samples of whichever foods you like best, and see which one your dog loves. Most companies send free samples.

Horizon Legacy is a great food that is made in Canada. It is not readily avail in the US though, so I don't know the cost/lb of it. Orijen is also made in Canada, and is a fantastic kibble. Taste Of The Wild is a great food and seems to be a tasty hit even among picky eaters, so I would try that one (if available).

It might help to browse www.dogfoodanalysis.com, and get a feel for how things rate. It might take a bit of trial and error to find which one he likes.

Hope that helps :) Good Luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So far you guys recommended the following foods (for my 5 year old Husky-Lab mix):

Diamond foods
Kirkland x 2
Blue Buffalo
Wellness Core
Orijen x 3
Taste of the Wild x 3
Innova x 2
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul
California Naturals x 2
Timberwolf Organics
Solid Gold
NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE
Horizon Legacy

I've also banned all these foods for poisining my cat and many other pets 2 years ago. http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

I will also look at these websites to help me choose:

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

www.thedogfoodproject.com

Thx :D

I think I am going to go with Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Adult! since Huskies and Labs are not very big eaters, and since I feed him a lot of healthy human foods, I will barely notice the price differance, it will cost around 2$/lbs.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2292&cat=8

I just hope it's sold in my area, if not I will probably go with Innova I think.

After reading on Husky and Labrador natural food diets, I think this one's good since it has a nice fish diet in there as well.

It has very good reviews also, I also see a lot of people talking about Innova and BARF diets. Wow, I was amazed at some of the stuff I just read, I feel like slapping myself silly for having shoved that *^(*&^ Pedigree down my dog's throat. Wow......:eek: One of the worst foods on the market.

Definatey going to keep feeding him human food as well, no beef, just chicken cutlets and stuff.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
I would take Nutro Natural Choice off the list. It's a midgrade food and there are so many better ones. All the other foods on your list are great. And I'm going to add one more :) Eagle Pack Holistic. My dogs have always done great on it and it's in my rotation (I rotate foods for variety).

I believe in dogs enjoying what they eat, not just eating dry kibble because they have no other choice. I mix in canned dog food so that it doesn't change the balance of nutrition. Adding other foods like meat is okay though as long as it's less than 25% of the dog's diet (I think).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey I might even try http://www.lanichesante.com/shop/Dog/Food---Treats/Dry-Food/Orijen-Adult-Dog-13.5-kg ORIJEN ADULT, since I found a retailer near my house with decent premium foods.

I was looking for one with some type of Labrador/Alaska/Siberia fish in it, this and Blue Bufallo Wilderness will be the first 2 I try, thx guys.

http://www.lanichesante.com/shop/Dog/Food---Treats/Dry-Food/

I would take Nutro Natural Choice off the list. It's a midgrade food and there are so many better ones. All the other foods on your list are great. And I'm going to add one more :) Eagle Pack Holistic. My dogs have always done great on it and it's in my rotation (I rotate foods for variety).

I believe in dogs enjoying what they eat, not just eating dry kibble because they have no other choice. I mix in canned dog food so that it doesn't change the balance of nutrition. Adding other foods like meat is okay though as long as it's less than 25% of the dog's diet (I think).
Roger for the Eagle brand, I may try that in canned food and mix it all together.

Updated:

Well, I went and bought him a 29.7lbs Orijen (The ingredients do look better than all I think, even Blue Buffalo) for around 55$ US, which is really not bad!

Hope he likes it! ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Its good that you're so open-minded about your dog's food. So many people walk around with blinders on in denial about what they feed their pet...you wanted the best for your dog, you researched it, asked questions, and realized that the food you were accustomed to feeding was inadequate (just like me). I applaud you and good luck with finding the perfect food for your pet.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Updated:

Well, I went and bought him a 29.7lbs Orijen (The ingredients do look better than all I think, even Blue Buffalo) for around 55$ US, which is really not bad!

Hope he likes it! ;)
Very nice choice!! ;) Good luck, and I hope he likes it...please keep us updated.
You can also rotate kibbles like luvntzus mentioned. If Blue Wilderness is your 2nd choice (great food BTW) then you could rotate the two...assuming he likes both of them. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thx, he's eaten 3/4 of a bowl so far, not bad :) He actually chased me around when I took a few from his bowl and pretended like I was eating them lol, so that's VERY good. He also ate some from my hand which is also VERY good.

I think he's gonna be happy with Orijen. :D

I still want to punch myself for having fed him Pedigree as a puppy and for 5 years afterwards....:mad:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thx, he's eaten 3/4 of a bowl so far, not bad :) He actually chased me around when I took a few from his bowl and pretended like I was eating them lol, so that's VERY good. He also ate some from my hand which is also VERY good.

I think he's gonna be happy with Orijen. :D

I still want to punch myself for having fed him Pedigree as a puppy and for 5 years afterwards....:mad:
Oh how funny!! I'm envisioning you pretending to eat it. lol I'm glad to hear he likes it.

Don't be upset with yourself for having fed him Pedigree. The past is the past and you didn't know any better, right? :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts