Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I think I can safely say it's not heat exhaustion and it's only affecting the puppies.

The symptoms of course include:

Diarrhea
Vomiting (may be regurgitation? Looks more 'solid' than usual)

The puppies have a normal appetite, no lethargy, and appear to be fine with the exception of the listed symptoms.

I noticed earwigs in the vomit so... pesticide maybe? Worms? Parasite?

They've had all their shots.

I'm really at a loss here guys. We really don't have the money to take them to the vet at the moment so home remedies are the best I can do.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Are they inside? If you don't have air conditioning, I would look on craigslist or another secondhand type site for a window air unit. Should be able to find one for $50-60 used; even new they are around $100-120 for a basic model which I figure it cheap compared to treating heat illness. Heat illness can be deadly and if the dogs go into heat stroke when you aren't there ....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they inside? If you don't have air conditioning, I would look on craigslist or another secondhand type site for a window air unit. Should be able to find one for $50-60 used; even new they are around $100-120 for a basic model which I figure it cheap compared to treating heat illness. Heat illness can be deadly and if the dogs go into heat stroke when you aren't there ....
Yes. They're in the house where it's air conditioned and they're always supervised.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Then they shouldn't be having that much difficulty with the heat. "Room temperature" of 72-75 degrees should be fine for a short coated breed. If they got overheated once outside and then came back in, once you cooled them down, you shouldn't be seeing continuing symptoms. Immodium AD will only treat the symptom of diarrhea which can help prevent them from getting dehydrated but it won't be treating the cause. And it doesn't sound like heat is the cause unless you are keeping your house at 80 or 85, then maybe.

507 Posts
How old are these pups? Neonates should not be wet down (not without a through drying).
I'd ask youe vet about this practice. If they are in A/C and getting wet down, you are probably making them too cold.
You should get them to a vet to get checked if you haven't done so. You can't do a plain rice diet for long.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How old are these pups? Neonates should not be wet down (not without a through drying).
I'd ask youe vet about this practice. If they are in A/C and getting wet down, you are probably making them too cold.
You should get them to a vet to get checked if you haven't done so. You can't do a plain rice diet for long.
They're both 5 months and I make sure to dry them off afterwards :)

You know I just realized something.

This morning I woke up to take the dogs out and found some vomit in the enclosure. Plain rice with bits and pieces of earwigs which means the one getting sick has been Taz (Gizmo eats them too, but not in bulk like Taz does)

Now, my family hasn't sprayed yet so it could be that the neighbors have and the earwigs have pesticide in them, therefore making the dogs sick.

Because taking into account some of your guy's posts whatever's going on with Taz doesn't seem like heat exhaustion anymore.

I will be sure to ask my neighbors to see if they have sprayed, and will keep the dogs from eating any insects they find.

If Taz doesn't get better within the week or gets any worse I'll have my mom schedule an appointment for the vet. He doesn't seem to bothered by the throwing up and seems fine other than that and the diarreah so... well I won't say I'm not too worried lol I've been looking up everything I can to help him.

I just hope it's not anything too serious.

EDIT: It's both dogs apparently. Kodi is fine it's just Taz and Gizmo. I'm thinking it's the earwigs. Nasty little bugs... they probably carry all sorts of parasites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts