Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a female Border Collie/Kelpie mix who is 6 years old and weighs about 40 pounds. Her weight has always varied between 38-41 or so. I've always been confident that she was at a healthy weight and followed charts showing how the under abdomen should tuck in a little as well as a tuck on the sides looking down. I can also feel her spine easily enough but not too easily and I thought I was able to feel her ribs well enough as well. I've always prided myself on having a healthy weight dog considering so many dogs in the US are overweight. She gets hour long walks every day and lots of ball throwing and playtime in general. I do feed her some of my own food sometimes but only ever the very last little nibble from my plate. I would also let her lick out empty containers (of safe foods, of course).

Anyway, the other week I took her to the travelling, low cost vet that I usually take her to and this new vet told me that she's a little overweight and explained that he had to press in slightly to feel her ribs. He said she was only just slightly overweight but that even a pound or two can make a difference.

So, since then I've cut back her kibble by half a cup, eliminated food scraps completely, and have mostly stopped giving her treats except for peanut butter once in awhile. The other day I forgot whether I fed her in the morning because I was tired so I fed her again. I was expressing concern to my friend about whether I might have fed her twice and that worried me because of this weight issue he said, "I wish that guy had never told you that because now you're being a little OCD about it." Am I though? Am I cutting back too much?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Why don't you post a photo of her? I like to just barely see the ribs when the dog turns away from me (but my dogs have some coat) and I certainly want to feel them.

Sometimes I have my dogs skip a meal. They won'd die. Sometimes I skip a meal. I am still here. LOL

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I think cutting back half a cup of food is a little extreme. Like, a pound or two can be gained from having a couple more scraps or maybe not exercising as much for a few days. That's life. Dogs easily lose and gain weight, at least compared to a human! Before cutting back a full half cup and eliminating scraps and treats, just take maybe an eighth of a cup out of her daily kibble ration. If that still doesn't quite get her to where you want her to be, take a tiny bit more out. A few kibbles can make a difference!

And really, a pound or two isn't a huge deal for a dog that size. It's certainly not something I would worry overly much about.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't stress it but I wouldn't try to get it off. I'm bothered if I have to push to feel my dogs ribs. It doesn't bother me enough to make many changes, but it definitely prompts me to change things.

So. Don't obsess and worry but feed slightly less, watch and if that doesn't seem to be helping enough cut a little more.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You may be over-reacting a bit. Probably doing one of those things would have been enough to drop a pound. I.e. cutting out just the food scraps OR cutting back her food by a bit (maybe 1/4 cup).

Dogs' weights can fluctuate by a few pounds pretty easily so I wouldn't go too extreme.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just decrease by 25% or something until your dog's weight is better and yes, avoid table scraps and limit treats. It's pretty easy to overdo it and end up with an underweight dog too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts