Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had this problem since I got my dog Tiffera (2 years ago). She's only 2 years and about 2-3 months old. Every time we try to take her somewhere in the car (to the vet, park, pet store, etc.) she gets really anxious, whines, is restless in the car, and sometimes even throws up. We don't usually bring her places unless we absolutely have to. But the other day I wanted to bring her to the park so she could get some exercise and sniff around. I hadn't brought her anywhere in the car for a couple months, and I thought maybe she'd do better this time, since we weren't going very far. But again, she got anxious and kept trying to jump over seats in our van.
Then when we were at the park I realized how TERRIBLE she is on leash in public places (she's fine just in our neighborhood). But that's a different problem...

Do you have any advice on how to keep her calm in the car? Or should I just not bring her anywhere unless I absolutely have to? I've tried giving her valerian root in the past to keep her calm for vet visits, but it didn't work AT ALL. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wish I had advice for you, because I know exactly what you are going through. My Schnoodle is terrified of the car. He will drool ALL over the place within the first 3 minutes, and almost always throws up. It is just awful. I would LOVE to take him places with me, but simply cannot.

I will stick around and see what advice others may have.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Maybe Rescue Remedy could help.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My advice would be the same as I gave in this thread. You may have to start a little slower, approaching the car at first and watching her for signs of distress, but the approach and process is the same. I have been very successful with this method. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts