Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

alternatives to hooves for long lasting chewing?

8K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Nissa M 
#1 ·
My 18 pound year and a half dog just LOVES hooves, and they're so long lasting; great distraction when, for instance, I bring him to my friend's apartment upstairs. But I'm reading about all the possible dental problems dogs can develop, and I'm a bit worried. He gnaws on them, not a big chomper, and it's taken him like twelve hours to go through one. So it seems like there wouldn't be any dental problems, but I really don't want to risk it.

I've seen similar posts, but was wondering about other 1) extremely cheap and 2) long lasting chews that taste good? I've seen some postings about chicken feet, etc. Where do you get them--supermarkets? Do butchers give them away for free?

Thank you!

#2 ·
wow 12 hours I have yet to have something last that long. I have tried: half antlers, pig ears, dried halved Sweet potato (for my female cant have many things), Chicken feet. So far the longest any have lasted is 7 hours. I have gotten the feet at my market and one of the small petstores had them one time.
I have paid about $10 for 2 but that was at the petstore, I have found them cheaper at the market depending on the day.

#3 ·
Meh, any chew can be a danger. If he likes hooves, stick with hooves

#10 ·
Hooves seem less likely than bones or antlers to cause broken teeth imo. I like hooves. Another option is to stuff them with something (I use canned food) and freeze them. Like an edible Kong!
Yep. I think hooves are probably the longest lasting thing you'll find that's least likely to cause dental issues. I've heard of problems with antlers but not hooves.

#4 ·
I agree. If you dog was trying his hardest to crack it in half, I'd be worried about dental issues. If he just gnaws it, I wouldn't worry.
I give my dog all the chews that people say not to (antlers, hooves, rawhides) and my dog is totally fine because he gnaws gently, and doesn't swallow chunks.

#5 ·
Hooves seem less likely than bones or antlers to cause broken teeth imo. I like hooves. Another option is to stuff them with something (I use canned food) and freeze them. Like an edible Kong!

#6 ·
Maybe you can try tendons

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/beef-tendon-dog-chews

Any chew like this or a bully stick, etc, I would put a vise on the end or something so they can't swallow whole and cause a trip to the ER.

I like cow ears. They are not greasy like pig ears so no upset stomachs. It takes my big dogs awhile to finish and it's not that high value of a treat so they don't just try and swallow it.

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/jumbo-cow-ears-10-pack

Dehydrated chicken feet is about .99 each. Totally expensive when you have a dog like mine that can eat it like a cookie.

If you buy it raw - yes usually asian/mexican markets have them. My local super walmart sells packaged chicken feet. Again, they're really just snacks - nothing long lasting.

I personally stay away from hooves. My big dogs chew it up and my shepherd once ate the shards of the hoof and it was too late when I noticed. The shards sat in his stomach for 1-2 weeks before he vomited it back up, never again will I buy hooves.

#7 ·
I found beef joints to be the best solution. Can get for $2.50 at Mud Bay, and the big ones last a week+. No worries about chipping, is strong etc. And not as bad a smell as the hooves. Thanks all.

#8 ·
Indy Likes nylabones. Assuming you inspect it regularly so your dog can't break off and swallow a chunk, it should be safe. Is passing little bits of plastic through his system a good thing? No, but neither is breaking a tooth on a hoof. So something organic would be better but nylabones aren't nearly the worst option either. (Not the strongest endorsement)

#9 ·
I've heard that buffalo horns are not as hard as deer antlers, but I haven't tried them with the dogs. They love their deer antlers and don't ever try to break them up and eat them so I don't worry about teeth problems. In fact, the deer antlers help to keep their teeth very clean. I know a couple of hunters so the dogs have two whole antlers (with just the tips cut off so they're not sharp) and they've lasted almost two years so far. The one's getting a bit small though.

#11 ·
I personally love hooves and also give recreational bones - lamb femurs with meat, beef marrow bones with lots of meat on the outside, frozen turkey necks, etc. I've had a lot of success with hooves but I don't usually give them to my older dog since they seem to upset her stomach. My 14 month old puppy is pretty good with them, she does break off some small pieces and swallow them sometimes but not enough for it to be a big concern. She LOVES them and they're cheap here - 1 big cow hoof for only $1. Always supervise!

#12 ·
My dogs get hooves a lot, never had a problem, they love them, I love that they are cheap and last longer than most things. I have a couple horns lying around but they don't chew those as much. They were way more expensive too. Last a long time but they aren't as exciting to my dogs.

#14 · (Edited)
Seriously: check out joints for a substitution. A lot sturdier, thicker, and my 18 lb dog loves carrying around a half pound one, he looks so cute; best of all, it cost $2.50 and has lasted three weeks with no sharp edges or splintering. Here's a kneecap: http://www.amazon.com/Merrick-Treat...1438624182&sr=1-1&keywords=beef+bone+dog+knee.

I get mine from the regional NW chain Mud Bay, and they sell Jones Natural Chews, www.jonesnaturalchews.com. Jones says it tests all its bones for splintering (pressure tests, moisture tests). Mud Bay sells the "top crests." They won't sell the hooves because of concerns out of danger, but they do sell these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.