Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing some commercials and see some Flea and Tick products in the pet store other than Frontline..I am interested in switching from Frontline as the cost is, to me, too high.

Does anyone use another brand and if so how do you like it and how much is it?

·
Registered
583 Posts
micahsmom ,

Vet quality products will work best for you in my opinion. If using a topical, make sure product goes on skin and not fur. Check out this link to compare flea control products.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=325

What I do is buy Frontline plus in the extra large dog size (89 to 132 lbs dog) and empty contents into a small screw top bottle , then draw the correct dose as per dog weight into dosing syringe and apply to dog skin. I buy from a trusted source online and this saves me a lot of money as I treat 11 large dogs , 65-85 lbs each. The last I bought was aprox $116.95 for 12 doses of 89-132 lbs size and no ship chg.

I have used other products , however , for flea and tick protection the Frontline plus works best for me.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have been seeing some commercials and see some Flea and Tick products in the pet store other than Frontline..I am interested in switching from Frontline as the cost is, to me, too high.

Does anyone use another brand and if so how do you like it and how much is it?

You've got to be very careful with the alternative flea & tick topicals that you get in, say, a discount store. The difference may not be in the active ingredients- which must be listed- but in the so-called inactive ingredients - which are not disclosed and in fact are often trade secrets.

You can save some by purchasing the brand name topical from a reputable on-line source. It will still be more expensive, but not as much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am glad you told me about the ingred. that are NOT listed...they are the risky ones...b/c the add on TV for the product my husband and I saw the other night (I cannot remember the darn name of it) anyway they said "With the same Ingredients as Frontline"....

·
Registered
507 Posts
I bought some topical flea stuff a couple of years ago at Wal-Mart (IIRC), don't remember the brand now but it smelled sort of citrusey. Kenda HATED the stuff, acted like I was dripping Drano on her. I switched her to Frontline Plus and she stands still and relaxed while I apply it. There must be something in the cheapo stuff that either irritated her skin or she really disliked the odor. Either way, the Frontline Plus works better and is only trivially more expensive. And I'll pay a few bucks to not make my dog miserable every month.

We have also used Advantix with no drama and good results, but it's more expensive, around here at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts