Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have crate trained a puppy before, and with another puppy, the bathroom became his crate since it was the perfect size for him. I have a puppy who would be perfect for agility. He does not like confinement or does not take naps under or in things or in any small spaces. He prefer open space. I divided my room to be a small space for him as I potty train him. He has a training pad as well, but he prefer to pee outside more now, thankfully! Anybody else not crate training their pooch besides me? He lives on my bed. He is less than 10 lbs (16 weeks old chihuahua mixed with terrier).

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I remember a time before crate training. (Now you know exactly how old I am.)

I've never used a crate. If necessary, I just put the dog in a dog proofed room, usually the bathroom.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My dogs were never crate trained. Killian is over two, and Perkins is over one and I am currently trying to remedy that situation. They're good dogs, and they don't tear up the house or anything, but Perkins became a resource guarder and I can't risk him attacking Killian. I tried to just separate them in different rooms, but Perkins freaked out so much he tore open a ten pound bag of soil (that I totally forgot to move. It was a disaster to clean up). So now, we are trying to crate train so they can be in the same room, and still be safe.

It can definitely be okay to not have a crate trained dog though. However, I am seeing more benefits to crate training than not.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
We crate trained, but, we didn't use them a lot, and now we rarely use them at all.
When each of our dogs were puppies we crated them at night, just until they were potty trained. From then on, they've slept on the bed with us.

I teach, and so, I always arranged to get new puppies when I had summer break, or my two week winter break, so that I would be there to get them adjusted, and get a start on potty training. But, if I had to go out, shopping or doing errands, they were crated, because I wanted to keep them safe (from eating things that could harm them), I wanted to keep my house safe, and I wanted to keep accidents from happening.

When I started back to work, I used an ex-pen to confine them in one area, with their bed, water, toys. Then, they graduated to having access to the kitchen, with the doorway blocked off with a baby gate. Now, they are older, and have access to the whole house, with the exception of bedrooms.

We don't use the crates now, and, when they were puppies we only used them for when we couldn't supervise them closely enough, or for when we were away from home.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you think you might like to do agility, I strongly suggest that you get your puppy crate trained. Dogs ride to and from trials in crates, and they wait in crates for their runs. If your dog is not comfortable being crated, agility will likely be stressful for him. If they learn to like their crate, they can have a safe place to unwind.

Even if you don't do agility, there are so many situations made easier for your dog if he's crate trained. If you bring him on vacation, he can be welcome at friend's and families houses where he might not be otherwise. He can ride in a carrier with you on an airplane. If he is injured and needs to be kept quiet, crating is a stress free way to do that. If you ever have guests in your house who don't like dogs, or they have kids who are too young to be good with dogs, you can safely confine him in a place where he is safe and relaxed. If you have workers coming in and our of the house, you don't have to worry about the dog darting out the door.

You don't have to crate him all the time, but I strongly suggest you crate him enough so that he accepts it and is good with it.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
third dog I decided to get a crate, thinking it would keep the puppy safe around my adult and semi adult while I was at work.. It turned out the puppy Major, was a monster and the crate is what protected my adult and semi adult dog from the pup lol lol ... I do think being crate trained is a good life skill.. Major had to stay over at the vets when he had surgery and he was calm and happy to be in a strange place in a crate.. Even when he tried to mess with his IV and my vet joked at him to leave it alone Major did and just relaxed in the crate quietly and safely not to rip his stiches out.. Good life skill to have.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I totally agree with samshine that if you are planning on doing Agility you should work on having your dog comfortable in a crate. There are so many times when you have to leave your dog, like when you are walking a course and sometimes you may not have anyone to hold the dog. Dogs get to like their crates if you make it a happy place for them. Some of them never get to "love" it but they will learn to handle it.

It also comes in handy if they are used to being confined if they have to go to the Vet or travel somewhere that you cannot leave them loose or even travelling in a vehicle.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Crating didnt work for us either... When we lived in a 3rd floor condo, we had 3 big dogs no crate (well there was one left open in the living room but we never closed the door)...
We had someone home most of the time and just put things up out of reach, did alotta raw meaty bones/ other chew toys, and had a peepad down in the corner for the pup when we had a pup....
One of the dogs did come comfortable in her crate (which is why we had one in the living room for her) she used to go into it occasionally but as time went on she sorta quit it....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Amaryllis,

I remember a time crate training was unheard of. Of course, I don't want to do the old time training of putting the dog's nose into their poop and maybe smack him one. I am glad training have became more positive, for the most part, in modern times. There are people who don't relate to positive training, unfortunately. My puppy don't relate to negative training. Now, you probably can guess how young I am. Ha ha ha!

By the way, my bed is actually his main crate. It was hard to turn the whole divided portion into his crate but I finally managed by adjusting to him to where he would not poop or pee anywhere except his pee pad. I removed the news papers because he can stick to his pad now for when he needs to pee before going outside. I am nervous about taking him to the closed off area in my room. How long or what age, your dogs are fully potty trained? I don't think I will ever remove the pad until he stop using it for weeks at a time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Nuclear_Glitter,

Are you going to put both dogs in crates or just Perkins? What breeds are Killian and Perkins?

How long did it took you to potty trained without a crate? I have potty trained a 8 month old for about 2 weeks when I had him. My little baby does not like being in confined places, so I decided to not to crate train him. I have been trying to train him since January 5th @ 10 weeks. He have improved tremendously since I tightened up the lose ends. Now, he knows the pads are for him but still think the little rugs are too! Ha ha ha!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Crating didnt work for us either... When we lived in a 3rd floor condo, we had 3 big dogs no crate (well there was one left open in the living room but we never closed the door)...
We had someone home most of the time and just put things up out of reach, did alotta raw meaty bones/ other chew toys, and had a peepad down in the corner for the pup when we had a pup....
One of the dogs did come comfortable in her crate (which is why we had one in the living room for her) she used to go into it occasionally but as time went on she sorta quit it....
Hi Candy

I would like to hear about your potty training method and how long did it take? I heard the option of crate or small room, so I put boards by my bed to divide my room and made it smaller for the dog, so he can stay on my bed where he feels most safe and comfortable. At first, my bed was his crate where I fed him and he had to climb down to use the pad or wait until I take him outside. Now, his food is on the floor with only his toys on the bed now for about a month now, thankfully! I had to keep adjusting the environment until he would only pee on the pad. Yay!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would like to hear about your potty training method and how long did it take? I heard the option of crate or small room, so I put boards by my bed to divide my room and made it smaller for the dog, so he can stay on my bed where he feels most safe and comfortable. At first, my bed was his crate where I fed him and he had to climb down to use the pad or wait until I take him outside. Now, his food is on the floor with only his toys on the bed now for about a month now, thankfully! I had to keep adjusting the environment until he would only pee on the pad. Yay!
For us we had roommates and me and partner worked opposite schedules so our pups were never really on their own for too long (maybe a couple hours max during the day).... When werent home or at night (later when we had the Berner pup he slept with the 2 big dogs)we did partition them off into the the living room, its huge and opens onto the kitchen which the people home could close off if they wanted them too... puppy pee pads went onto a cardboard "lid" (think upside down shoebox lid, but big you get them off big boxes at Costco)in one corner that way the lid kept the pee pads from sliding around the wood floor and was an extra layer of protection... Our dogs were quite a lot bigger (2 boxers, then a giant schnauzer, then a bernese Mt dog) and times to potty train really varied from a few months to almost 8months-- and for the 1st year or so most of them would have "accidents" when excited, etc...
They were trained to go outside, but the potty pads were where they were suposed to go if they couldnt wait... They didnt have potty pad confusion or anything like that....
You seem like you are doing a great job of adjusting your environment and working out a pee pad arrangement that works for you! Crate training didnt work for us because we had a really cranky neighbor who would call 911 over noise (like when our other neighbor was trying to sleep-train her toddler to his own bed)...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For us we had roommates and me and partner worked opposite schedules so our pups were never really on their own for too long (maybe a couple hours max during the day).... When werent home or at night (later when we had the Berner pup he slept with the 2 big dogs)we did partition them off into the the living room, its huge and opens onto the kitchen which the people home could close off if they wanted them too... puppy pee pads went onto a cardboard "lid" (think upside down shoebox lid, but big you get them off big boxes at Costco)in one corner that way the lid kept the pee pads from sliding around the wood floor and was an extra layer of protection... Our dogs were quite a lot bigger (2 boxers, then a giant schnauzer, then a bernese Mt dog) and times to potty train really varied from a few months to almost 8months-- and for the 1st year or so most of them would have "accidents" when excited, etc...
They were trained to go outside, but the potty pads were where they were suposed to go if they couldnt wait... They didnt have potty pad confusion or anything like that....
You seem like you are doing a great job of adjusting your environment and working out a pee pad arrangement that works for you! Crate training didnt work for us because we had a really cranky neighbor who would call 911 over noise (like when our other neighbor was trying to sleep-train her toddler to his own bed)...
Thanks for sharing that with me. I think multiple dogs may be harder for me. I think that is a talent to do multiples as you have. I will keep his pee pads as long as he needs them, but I need to have my whole room back and enjoy the cut off portion again. After he uses the bathroom, I may start training him to be in the rest of my room as I gather clothing. If I leave him in the other part of the room, he cries. I can relate to the noise dogs make because John did that too when I tried to crate train him. He is not a cave animal. He can be crated at the Groomers, somewhat. He was held most of the time. When I leave him alone on my bed, I leave the radio on for him. He has a lot of toys to play with and things to chew on. I try not to stay gone longer this his need for the bathroom. You have a cranky neighbor who complains, and I have a grumpy boyfriend who complains! Ha ha ha!! Thanks for your support. I will buy another pee pad holder for the down stairs. Putting a pad down there seem to stop him from peeing on pillows and rugs... I HOPE! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I remember a time before crate training. (Now you know exactly how old I am.). . .
Not even approximately, and not if you lived in Europe, where crate training hasn't been generally accepted. In some EU countries, using a crate is considered inhumane. (In one of them, people think nothing of force-feeding a goose until it has coronary artery disease, then eat the goose's liver.)

I remember doing paper training first, then trying to retrain it to go only outside. Not because I wanted to, but because we didn't have crates ( or pet stores, or vets that specialized in small animals). Purina Dog Chow hadn't yet been introduced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts