Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We kind of damaged the verbal cue "Leave It" by not really fully understanding positive reinforcement training (overusing the command before the dog knew the behavior). After watching kikopup's excellent videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc) we're starting to get it. And getting much better results. But now I need a new verbal cue for "Leave It", was wondering what other folks might use. Or do you think I can salvage "Leave It" on my 12 week old puppy after 3 weeks of using it incorrectly?

I was thinking of "Away".

BTW, we did GREAT with training tricks, it is training the basics like Leave It and Stay that we've been struggling with until we started getting that the dog has to DO the behaviour before we can put it on cue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I use "enough" because I accidentally taught my dogs that "enough" means leave whatever it is they're messing with alone. I never had to teach leave-it for real.

I use "away" to get my dogs to move away from me, like if I'm in a hallway and they stop to look up at me to see what I'm doing and I REALLY need to get through to go pee, lol or if I just need some space while they're crowding me.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Through an innocent act of miscommunication, I taught "leave it" and she taught "mine". Anyway, now we use "mine" if we intend to pick up whatever it is, and "leave it" if we just want it left. Did that make sense? And "wait" means "you can have it in a minute" whereas as leave it and mine are permanent. Ok, they aren't exactly permanent yet, but we hope they will be soon.

In my house, "back up" functions as your "away"

·
Registered
720 Posts
Through an innocent act of miscommunication, I taught "leave it" and she taught "mine". Anyway, now we use "mine" if we intend to pick up whatever it is, and "leave it" if we just want it left. Did that make sense? And "wait" means "you can have it in a minute" whereas as leave it and mine are permanent. Ok, they aren't exactly permanent yet, but we hope they will be soon.

In my house, "back up" functions as your "away"
Brody has "back up" as actually walking backwards until I give him a release cue. Oh how I love stupid dog tricks. The looks we get when I'm outside taking my dog for a walk and he's walking backwards!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Verbal cues can be just about anything so long as you are consistent in using them.

Dogs don't care what verbal cue you use - they're not going to look those words up in a dictionary :)

They don't have to be in any particular language, or even be actual words at all.

You can use whatever suits you and that you can easily remember.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
We kind of damaged the verbal cue "Leave It" by not really fully understanding positive reinforcement training (overusing the command before the dog knew the behavior). After watching kikopup's excellent videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc) we're starting to get it. And getting much better results. But now I need a new verbal cue for "Leave It", was wondering what other folks might use. Or do you think I can salvage "Leave It" on my 12 week old puppy after 3 weeks of using it incorrectly?

I was thinking of "Away".

BTW, we did GREAT with training tricks, it is training the basics like Leave It and Stay that we've been struggling with until we started getting that the dog has to DO the behaviour before we can put it on cue.

Thanks!
Good thinking on change the cue. I know some people who use "off" (which wouldn't work if you are using "off" for not jumping) "Away" should work. Basically, I tell people if you can remember it, it doesn't sound like another cue you are using, and your dog understands it - it's all good. Sounds like you are doing your homework and proceeding well!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Brody has "back up" as actually walking backwards until I give him a release cue. Oh how I love stupid dog tricks. The looks we get when I'm outside taking my dog for a walk and he's walking backwards!
You really do need to do freestyle with that dog!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Verbal cues can be just about anything so long as you are consistent in using them.

Dogs don't care what verbal cue you use - they're not going to look those words up in a dictionary :)

They don't have to be in any particular language, or even be actual words at all.

You can use whatever suits you and that you can easily remember.
Hehe, someone read the title but not the post.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I always just say " Mammas " for " leave-it "

" Back " for my crew literally means back up :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
You really do need to do freestyle with that dog!
We start Jan 29th. Tonight I started working on circling backwards around me. He lives for tricks like this. I love the "aha" moment where he figures out what I want him to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts