Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

Please take the time to read my girls story so you know all the details.
It is long and complicated but I will try to keep it short.

I got my Belgian shepherd when she was 6 months old and she is now 1.
She wasnt given any training, socialization or direction during her time at the breeders home. (breeder is a lovely person and loves her dogs, she had had an accident and couldnt give it 100% and it was an accidental litter)

She has come a long in leaps and bounds since I have had her.( I am a vet nurse (only recently) so know a thing or two about training but not a whole lot.
She was clicker trained but doesnt have much drive at all.

She still has very very serious anxiety/stress and seperation anxiety. She is pretty much scared of everything in the house and it takes her a long time to settle down after an episode and she will just sit and hyperventilate and drool.

I do know dog behaviorists and have tried a number of methods.

We have just moved country from NZ to australia and pretty much all my training regarding her anxiety went out the window.

I know I need to give her time to settle again and keep her exercised but I am just wondering if anyone has any home remedies or alternative training methods for me to try with her. I am always looking for new methods as she has pretty much come to a stand still. So I thought new country new method to try an tackle it!

It is getting to the point where I am considering medication for her anxiety because it is so unpredictable and she will just melt down at any time without an apparent cause.

Please keep in mind the points above as I have tried ALOT. However I would love to hear what other people think and if they have had similar problems and how they dealt with it.

Oh, and another thing, she shines in the presence of other dogs. All her problems seem to go away, she eats, isnt scared of people and will even jump up on some occasions and that is amazing for her. I do want another dog, just want to make sure my Indie is in a good and happy place before I get another.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Melatonin can help. Dosage is 1 mg per 20 lbs up to 3 mg. Giant breeds can have up to 6 mg. Only give to healthy, non pregnant dogs.

Thundershirts seem to work well for many. They have a money back guarantee.

Training- NILIF can help insecure dogs because it helps them know what to expect.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I am from New Zealand and never heard of Thundershirts before so I will look it up! Not a very common thing in New Zealand I think although i do know they are available there and Australia where I have just moved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts