Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Corso Bane got his ears cropped yesterday. Today I removed all the bandages and left the cup there. I put an ecollar on him because he was trying to rip the cup off his ears. However now he has refused to walk with the collar on :(

Is there something else I can use to get him to stop trying to itch that cup off? He absolutely hates the e-collar, but I can't get his attention off that cup on his head (I don't blame him)

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
The common alternatives to the "cone of shame" are a soft ecollar, inflatable collar, rolled towel and clothing. The soft collar might work in your case, it is fabric over strudy panels and fits a lot like the plastic cone but a determined dog can sometimes bend it out of the way. The inflatable collar looks like a human neck brace slash swimming floatie and does not at all stop a dog from getting a paw to his face or head. Same with the rolled towel, it mainly restricts neck movement when the problem is licking the upper body. Clothing is stuff like tee shirts or underwear to reduces licking for spay and nueter areas.

For face and head surgery, I haven't yet found anything that will stop paw scratching etc aside from an appropriately sized plastic cone. Most dogs hate the cone. Can't blame them but it usually works. A few days go by and he may get used to it. If its got a rough plastic edge against his neck, you might try gluing some fabric or padding on that edge.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Did he get pain meds? Sometimes having some sedative the first few days helps. Most pups will be running around in a few days ignoring the cone Call your vet and ask if there is anything that can help your pup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! He has only had the cone on for two hours so I think it's a lot of not being used to ever seeing one of these, plus the cup holding his ears up is probably extremely weird!

They have him on Tramadol for pain, so I think that is making him really drowsy because he is napping quite a bit. But when he's awake he just stands there with his head down :( poor guy is making me feel terrible about that cone! But I really am out of ideas on what to keep him away from that cup on his ears

1 - 4 of 4 Posts