Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My peke is being crate trained. No problems with that and she's doing fantastic with it. She stays in the crate all night without a peep. (All night = midnight to 7 AM.) When I take her outside 99.9% of the time she will potty cause potty = praise.

Except at night the only time she's in the crate is when I can't physically watch her, I'm in the shower, eating dinner, washing dishes, vacuuming. I'm a stay at home mom so I've been completely available for the past week to take her out every 2 hours and in between.

My problem is I have some business to attend to soon where I'll be away from the house, from about 6:30 AM to I'm hoping till noon. If I put her in the crate she'll be there for 6 hours after being crated all night. My peke is 10 weeks, and I try not to leave her in the crate more than 3 hours, except at night.

My mother-in-law would normally babysit my kids and my pup, but she has to work, luckily my kids are able to go to work with her, but my pup cannot.

Would it be okay to say lock her in the bathroom with her food, water, toys and clean up whatever messes she leaves? I didn't buy puppy pads cause we're training her straight to go potty outside without pad training.

EDIT: This is a 1 time only thing not a regular occurrence.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think it'll be alright to put her in the bathroom. I would put her crate in there with her so she can curl up in it for a nap if there is enough room, if not her cushion. Also I would lay down newspaper either all over the floor or half of it so it's separate from the rest of her stuff so it kinda looks like a potty. If you have a baby gate that would be better so she doesn't feel 100% enclosed and isolated in the bathroom. Since it's only a one time deal, it won't affect her potty training (or at least I don't think, lol). Try to give extra exercise that morning so she is extra tired. She might just sleep the whole time you're gone and be fine if she's tired enough. Good luck! I'm sure everything will be fine.

Added Note: Also if you do put her crate in with her, take out the door so she doesn't get caught in it or it closes and she can't get into her crate.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't see a problem with the bathroom. That should give her room to move around, and if she does go on the floor, bathroom floors are easy to clean. If I had to be gone for an extended period of time, I keep my dog in the bedroom or bathroom, and he's quite trustworthy along in the house. I just like to cut down on things to worry about. (Due to a quirk in the layout of the house, the upstairs bathroom is 2 rooms and the one is absurdly large. I've had bedrooms smaller.)

·
Banned
158 Posts
You should be ok - just make sure that the room is SUPER puppy-proofed!

The other option for a one-off occurrence is doggie day care! I'm not sure if you have any - there are loads of them in my area. You may have some issues because of her age, and not being fully vaccinated, but some places will take them on, sort of like day-boarding, and keep them separated from the main pack. It's something to look into, as is hiring a dog sitter - just make sure that you get a reputable sitter with a full cirminal check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts