Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever feel alone with your breed of dog?
So If you dont own a Kennel Club dog and you brought a Mutt it can be so lonely.
No one to share your dreams and passions with.
I love Miniature fox terriers which are MUTTS so many people say.
Well a Mutt is only a mutt when they have no history recorded standards written, and litters and dams and sires recorded etc.
A pedigree has these things and also of course the have memberships with kennel clubs.
They were all mutts at some stage until they were accepted and registered reconised with a kennel club.
Im upset and Im sick of people that are catty and nasty about my dogs.
Perhaps I will get the same comments on here I dont know.
Maybe just maybe If im lucky I will find people that understand the frustration of it all.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Why so lonely? You can buy a mutt-i-gree, become a member of a kennel clubs for mutts, and even compete with your mutt. Mutts are still dogs after all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well In nz we have had the Miniature Fox terrier being breed here since the 1800s,
so many breeds have started in that time etc and have been recognized with kennel clubs.
We have many a breeder over here that breed them for money and cant be bothered joining our club and getting this breed to be recognized.
I have contacted Our NZ kennel club and they are taking this issue to the committee to discus as our terriers place of origin is NZ and its a nation wide well known breed.
It will not be able to be called a Miniature fox terrier tho as the breed looks nothing like one it just is known by that name.
So I feel lonely because no one cares enough to put in the effort to get the breed recorded generations etc.
We have a club and very little people have joined. I do all of the work along side my mother for the club and people that are joined just sit there exspecting everything to be done for them.
and well it is as we do not wish to let the club fall because of lazy people.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Why not find activities to do with other mutt owners? I actually find myself in the opposite predicament: people snubbing their noses at me because I have "purebred" dogs. Nobody believes that Kobe is a mutt, even though he's a Husky/Malamute mix. Evidently that mix doesn't count! :p

Most mutt owners don't have breed histories since 1800's. Actually, each and every one of their dog is unique. If people are giving you a rough time because your dog is a mutt, then they are not worthy of getting to know your pup.

You can find lots of mutts in group obedience classes. Some kennel clubs have a ton of mutts. I can't imagine it being that lonely, unless, of course, you are snubbing the people with mutts that have no history whatsoever. ;)

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Ahhh, I see now. It must be very frustrating. I can't even begin to know the challenges of breed recognition in the modern era, but I can imagine facing that challenge being a lonely journey.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have pedigree dogs Pomeranian and they are registered with the NZKC, the only reason Im pursuing this breed is every one has had one or know some one that does or did.
I had one as a child my mum did as a child and so on.
There are hundreds of them over here, being breed willy nilly for money. That bugs me, as its about the breed and history of our NZ dog.
***sorry, redirects to other forums are not allowed***
I am joined with a number of mutts clubs and that is fun we enjoy it.
My main focus for this breed is dog is having standards which we have started to work on and getting people to make that effort for the breed. Also documenting all dogs and litters etc.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am with CP. I did not understand the direction you were headed either.
All of mine are mutts, cept the cats of course. LOL.
Good luck in your pursuit!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts