Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Joey is now 12 weeks old and I would like him to spend some alone time in his yard pen. He likes his pen but he goes nuts when I leave him there alone. I can give him a Kong with treats in it and it will keep him happy until he's finished with it and then he starts jumping at the door again. (He has access to his pen right from the back door)

Any suggestions how I can get him used to spending some time out there? I sometimes need a break from him... y' know? I'm retired and it's just him and I here. I don't want him being too clingy.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I would have a look at this video: http://youtu.be/LGxhcb-itO4

But really, a 12 week old puppy isn't supposed to spend a lot of time on his own, he's still a baby. I would also work on him going to his bed on cue, and staying there even though you leave the room. Build lots of value for being on the bed, then take a few steps away and reward for staying there, go back, reward, step away, reward, repeat. Gradually increase the distance between you and the bed, and pretty soon he will be content to lie there even though you're somewhere else in the house.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank. Lil_fuzzy. I realize now that he's too young but I do want to slowly introduce it him to some alone time. When I had to leave him for any length of time I was using a puppy pen but he very quickly learned how to climb out using it like a ladder. So now I'm going to have to use a crate. I guess what I'm trying to do is avoid any separation anxiety issues. I will try the method in the video but I'm not going to climb in the crate. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts