Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through being a member of this and other dog forums, I've learned to read basic behavior cues from my dog, but there are times I almost wish I hadn't learned these things.

I realize that probably doesn't make any sense and that I'm better off (and my relationship with Cobber is better off) because I can read him and his comfort level, but still...

Last night, I went to cuddle up with him down at his end of the couch. He turned his head away, licked his lips and yawned. So I backed off and assured him that the only cuddling would be when he wants it and comes on down to where I'm sitting. :) That's the right thing to do, but at the same time I felt a little sad or disappointed about it because I've always wanted more of a snuggle-puppy, and before I learned those signals of discomfort with a situation, I would've been able to fool myself that he was happy for me to snuggle up to him.

It's not really a question, more of an observation about his behavior. There are times he's SO happy to see me, but obviousy other times when he'd like me to get the heck away because he wants to sleep without me bothering him. Anyone else have a dog you wish would be a little more snuggly?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I had two dogs (at the same time) that needed to be touching me at all times and I would trip over them daily. It was nice to be so wanted but, it gets old after awhile. The dog I own now, will come over for some loving, maybe even snuggle up on the couch by me for a little while but she gets hot and will move over to hard floors and lay down near by. I prefer when dogs come to 'check-in' and then lay near me instead of ontop of me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
yep, I occasionally "joke" with my wife that we got a dog with a cat personality. He'll interact with you, but only on his terms, and isn't uber-affectionate except in certain situations. Basically he *loves* it when I play a little "aggressively", meaning hyper-belly rubs, using my mouth to blow on his neck from 2" away. I always stop and back away to make sure he approaches me to continue (vs me alpha rolling), he always always wants more, and will lick my head as I'm doing it. But he only allows me to do that for 10 minutes per day before getting up and walking away.

This isn't just when he's tired, he just seems more interested in the environment than us. But its only been 3 months (yesterday), and he's about to be a year old, so I'm hoping he approaches us more as he gets more comfortable with the house, us, etc.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
My pups are pretty snuggly, but I always want more. The other night I had both of them lying on/next to me and it was heavenly.

I know what you mean about knowing body language. It's hard to watch them be uncomfortable in situations - especially if it involves you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have three completely different personalities in my dogs. The Chihuahua almost never wants to be held or touched, the Golden wants it on his terms, and my Husky mix puppy has to be touching me and in my lap all the time, he is a total snuggle pup(55 pound lap dog) haha

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
My girl is maybe affectionate for a total of 30 minutes a day: first thing in the morning and when I get home from being out.

I much prefer this over a dog that would want to be touching me all the time. She does follow me most of the time and sleeps on the bed, but is not velcro in the least bit. The majority of our quality time is spent doing things together. She is much more a dog that wants to be involved in whatever I'm doing. She hates when she can't come somewhere with us. But when we aren't doing anything, she just sleeps.

My cats are extremely affectionate and velcro and it drives me crazy. Ernie will literally jump on my back while I'm brushing my teeth if I ignore him. He always needs to be right on my chest and will pounce on my chest all night long.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Last night, I went to cuddle up with him down at his end of the couch. He turned his head away, licked his lips and yawned.
Hahaa, I pull my dog into tight hugs and throw myself on top of him even though he sends off these signals. I am really a horrible person or my dog is just very patient with me... Either way, I 'harass' him all the time (though other people are not allowed to) :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a very affectionate and very pushy cat, so I know what you mean d_ray. I guess with Cobber, I just meant that when *I* want a cuddle and a kiss from him, it'd be nice if I wasn't rebuffed. I've had other dogs who also weren't velcro but were so happy to receive attention from me in any form that they were more than happy to accept a hug and give me a kiss back. It's a little thing, but Cobber is a bit more independent and stand-offish than I'm used to, although when he *does* snuggle up to me or get all super-excited to have me home, it means a lot since I know that's not his usual behavior :)

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I'm "mean" and will occasionally ignore Tobys "go away" signals and kiss his face - he doesn't love it, but doesn't leave either.
He does end up snuggling with me a lot of the time. Usually if I'm at the computer he'll curl up on the couch because he knows I'll end up over there too. If I leave the room though he follows me around to the next comfy spot he thinks I'm going to... like the bed.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Dogs make choices, but it's not the end of the conversation.. if you have more to offer that interest them as an individual... when a dog repels from you, what do you know of worth to draw them in towards you of their own free will to make a choice..

my two new breeds are more independent in nature so so different then 20+ years of my shadow mom's my idol GSD's... I try my best to ruin the two new ones to free them of their traits and cross over to the lighter side :) :) :) It's not me ignoring their signals I don't push myself on them... I do what I know about them to interest them that they want to be close, to be interested, that it's them that comes into me and my activity ... and not me invading into their activity that they quiet happy doing on their own without me.. Anything can be turned around.... your awareness of what and why they do things makes it perfect to think of what to do to bring them in to your side..

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Most of the time, if I wake Kabota up by petting him, he's all "oh, you're petting me, that's nice, snoooooore." Sometimes, I'll wake Kabota up and he'll give me this disgusted look, huff at me and go to the bedroom to sleep. Yes, I apologize to my dog for disturbing him.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Hahaa, I pull my dog into tight hugs and throw myself on top of him even though he sends off these signals. I am really a horrible person or my dog is just very patient with me... Either way, I 'harass' him all the time (though other people are not allowed to) :D
Same here, it kinda makes up for all the times she sticks her wet beard into my covers in the AMs to wake me up because she has decided its time to get up, or when she paws me to keep scratching her neck behind her ears (have had some coffee accidents with that behavior)....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Arya LOVES pets in the morning when she first gets up....and that's all. When we're watching TV in the evenings, she curls up on the couch by herself. I will start to approach and she does all the "No, thanks" signs and I'm all "awwwwwww, OK". However, my husband just plops down next to her and pulls her onto his lap. I tell him she's not interested and he's like "Don't care, loving the dog now!" She's very patient with him.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I'm the same with Caeda.....although if she continues to seem uncomfortable I'll back off after a bit.....usually I get an odd yawn and lip lick and then she puts up with me and doesn't seem upset or uncomfortable....though still not in cuddle mode (a rare thing for her). I agree though, only DH and I are allowed to do that, no one else.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Raggy is six now and still have troubles getting him to cuddle calmly. I think this is why I also like cats,I've had better luck with them cuddling than dogs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts