Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been feeding raw for close to two weeks.

We are still on chicken quarters. The collies love it and already the two younger ones are back to normal on stools, and the two older ones are almost there.

I'm really surprised that I didn't get a ton of messy poops and I didn't get any vomiting at all. Easy transition.

The hardest part about raw is that it's more time consuming than feeding kibble. lol

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Hang in there. You'll develop a system.

I'm down to just under 10 minutes to prepare about 20 pounds of meat and put in the freezer.

This also includes washing my hands to change the song on my ITunes.. so I could probably shave a minute or two if I wanted to lol.

My 3 had an amazing transition too. And their poop now just disintegrates. Its niiice. I still pick up what I see once a week, but thats just my OCDess coming through lol

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Feeding raw does get easier as you build your supplies and a system. When I factor in the time and gas spent to buy commercial dog food, feeding raw is easier.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It took me a few months to get the hang of all of it. Being careful of the menu the first couple months is important and time consuming as well. I imagine when I start another dog on raw it will take me longer again. This month I had chicken bits and organ in the freezer, bought my boneless pork and it took 10 minutes to bag up 20 meals which includes weighing every meal.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The time and the cost are the hardest things so far. I wish meat was cheaper. :p But chicken quarters aren't that bad. I figure it will be easier in the future as I find my scources and learn how to cut costs.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Make friends with the butchers at your grocery and ask them when mark downs are made. They usually do it on a morning, sometimes Mondays, since stuff has been sitting around all weekend and is about to expire. I get some great deals by being first in line for markdowns. I also scan the weekly grocery ads for sales. Anytime whol chickens go below 99 cents per pound we stock up. I prefer the whole chickens because the dogs get all of the benefits of the different cuts of meat / bone, and they come with organs inside. We also seem to feed a lot of pork around here. And beef heart is always 98 cents per pound so we get a lot of that too. I round it out with a couple of cans of mackerel.

On markdown day I'm sometimes lucky to get some ground beef for less than $1/pound.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sometimes raw may cost a bit more than kibble to fed but in the long run the benefits that come with raw will end up making it less expensive. With raw you no longer have to have your pets teeth cleaned - they'll be pearly white by themselves in no time. After some time on raw your pets immune system becomes stronger making them less attractive to fleas/ticks to the point that you can cut back, if not completely off, on flea/tick preventatives.
txcollies, you're in Tx so is there an HEB near you? They usually have beef kidneys way under $1lb (.64 to .79lb) and unenhanced chicken quarter 10lb bags for $5 or less. HEB also has great markdowns on beef tongue, chicken breasts/thighs and other meats. Oh, I also get lots of pork briskets and roasts for .99 to $1.29lb there as well.
I'm feeding 5 dogs between 60 to 135lbs and am paying about $200 to $250 month on raw. That's averaging $40 to $50 per dog per month. If I were feeding kibble I think I would be paying more. Not to mention needing Frontline which I don't need at all with raw. Now if I take in a foster he/she will need one Frontline treatment but no more.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts