Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, our pup is really doing fantastic. After less than a week he is almost completely paper trained. At this point, unless REALLY excited, he has no accidents and never misses the paper.

He is currently segregated to an area of the house with tile floors, bathroom and small hallway. He does really well, but whenever I allow him in our home office, which is capeted, he comes in, and pee's. Every single time.

He only pee's once, and then, after that if we are in the office for hours, he never misses walking back out and using the pad if he has to go.

It does not matter if he has gone to the bathroom before we go into the office or not, still, will pee once. Is he marking? There was a dog here previous - so its possible its just a "this is where pee happens" - I do not know.

How do I correct this? help is SO greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
It may be the smell. ??? Anything that smells like ammonia or old mistakes in the carpet or pad might trigger it. You could wash the carpet and use some enzyme cleaner from PetsMart or some vinegar to try to erase the odor.

I imagine that he gives some warning - sniffing and then squatting - so you could try interrupting him, saying, "No!" and carrying him to an appropriate spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vinegar is a good idea - we had steam cleaned the carpets, but I know that he is smelling stuff we cannot even come close to noticing. I will try the vinegar, and then when I can make it to petsmart - or maybe wal-mart (small town) and try a different cleaner besides the Resolve Pet spray. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Are you cleaning it up with an enzymatic cleaner? Otherwise he might be smelling the pee on the carpet, which encourages him to do it again.

Otherwise, I would advise you to keep him on a leash when you let him in the office, so you can keep a closer eye on him. He might also be confused about paper vs. carpet, since he's only missing the paper when you let him in a carpeted space (right?). This is one of the major drawbacks of paper training. Why not just train him to only do his business outside?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why aren't you teaching your dog to go outside to eliminate?
Its not that we are not trying to teach him to go outside. We live in an apartment, and he is not leash trained at all - so while I take him down, he does not go, he simply sits down and looks up at me with a "what is this crap on my neck" - so leash training in combo with getting him outside is an issue along with the paper/pad training. The initial item is getting him at LEAST paper trained. Also, we have had him for exactly six days, he is a highway rescue dog, so, to be honest its learning step by step for us as well as him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you cleaning it up with an enzymatic cleaner? Otherwise he might be smelling the pee on the carpet, which encourages him to do it again.

Otherwise, I would advise you to keep him on a leash when you let him in the office, so you can keep a closer eye on him. He might also be confused about paper vs. carpet, since he's only missing the paper when you let him in a carpeted space (right?). This is one of the major drawbacks of paper training. Why not just train him to only do his business outside?
I never thought about putting him on a leash to take him into the office. I feel a little silly for never considering it. In regards to the outside question, I attempted to explain the challenges in one other response. However, those challenges can be overcome with the idea of putting the leash on him to go into the office. currently - I have been putting his collar on for short periods so he can get used to it, and then just using the leash when we are outside. However, this is a good addition to both those challenges.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yeah, if he's not used to the leash, putting the leash on him and letting him drag it around the house (even outside the office) might help.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Using paper or wee wee pads teaches the dog it is okay to use the potty in the house as long as they are on something similar to paper or a pad, which to a dog could be bath mats, carpets, towels left on floor, etc. They can't really differentiate between carpet and pads sometimes.

I also recommend a harness instead of a collar for attaching leashes. Collars tend to push on the trachea, and depending on the dog cause severe damage. You also don't have very much control over the dog with just a collar, you have control over their head, but not their body, which is the part you want to control. Accidental jerks can also cause damage to neck, even if you didn't mean to. For example, I tripped a leash while walking my dog Jack. Had it been attached to a collar, I feel I could have caused severe damage, possibly permanent. But because it was attached to a harness, all that happened was his body was pulled down. Still scary, but not as bad as it would have been had just his neck been pulled down.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I live on the 8th floor in a building undergoing elevator repairs for 4 months so my pup uses a piddle pad, too- we do go for walks and she knows to go when we are out but she will always have a piddle pad

·
Registered
34 Posts
My pooch did that up until about 1 month ago, shes 7 months now and I can finally have the carpets back out on the floor. I started with pads as well and you want to get them off of the pads asap, especially if you have a larger breed. What worked for me when my dog went outside and wouldn't go, was to take 2-4 minute brief sessions of going outside and telling her to "go potty" and if she went, I would go nuts and praise her like a miracle just happened. If she didn't go, well we went back upstairs into the kennel and would wait 10 minutes and try again. You want to have a specific spot that your dog goes in too, as they will eventually become comfortable with that spot and return there when they have to go. If you want to stop them from going on the carpet you need to catch them in the act -- during it - not after -- and give a strong NO or whatever you say to your dog to let them know what they're doing is not ok, and then take them outside to their spot and encourage them to "go potty".

Also, if your dog is uncomfortable with the leash, try leashing the dog around the house and letting them get comfortable to the idea of having it on. Leash training shouldn't be that difficult as long as you're not jerking your dog around on the leash, or creating any negative connotations to the leash. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts