Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up to my DH screaming my name. Hit the floor running to find Karma, my 5 year old Border/Jack on the kitchen floor unconcious. DH was trying frantically to get food out of her mouth. She had choked on her food and her tongue was purple. I grabbed her tongue as best as I could and pulled on it and kept trying to get her up onto her feet. I knew about pulling the tongue forward but I didn't know what position she was supposed to be in. Anyway, whatever I did she started to breathe and then she clamped down and of course with my hand being in her mouth it got chewed up pretty good but she is fine. She took about another 30 seconds to be able to walk steadily, but seems to be okay otherwise. She finished her breakfast and was nosing in the garbage, her usual morning antics. That was 2 hours ago and my adrenilin is still pumped. Oh, my Karma girl, I am so glad I gave you that name. I don't know what I would do if I lost you. Hug all your puppers today.

·
Registered
554 Posts
That is scary, and awesome that you saved her. I really need to learn what to do if my dog is ever choking...humans I can handle, dogs...no idea.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone knows exactly what to do, I would love to hear. This was a very scary thing and I think we may have just got lucky. Should I have kept her on her side, had her tilted with her head forward, her head back etc.? I still keep worrying about her and I am at work now and can't see her. :(

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I almost lost Remmy choking. I had some treats in the Van and when I got back in I gave him one. It had been in there for a while and I guess it had dried out. He took it, did not chew it and tried to swallow it. He all of a sudden stiffened out and flopped over not breathing. I grabbed him up and luckily it was just big enough that it had not jammed in his throat, just blocked off his air, and it popped out when I picked him up. Really scared me and just lucky it did not jam in his windpipe.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My sister almost lost a Springer puppy the same way and had a vet on the line telling her what to do. She told me this story and that is how I knew to pull the tongue forward but I never thought at the time she told me the story, about how the dog should be positioned. Wow, I am still pretty worked up, think I am going to go home early today. I just can't concentrate.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Wow! Just saw this! I am so glad you saved your girl! Very scary!!!

Go to this site and put "choking" in the search bar. www.peteducation.com

There are instructions ... all is printable too if you need to print it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Abbylynn, I checked out the site and it will be very helpful if it happens again. We are taking precautions to prevent that, but you can never be too imformed.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thank you so much for this thread. I had no idea what to do about choking in a dog.

Also, very glad Karma is okay. I can imagine how you felt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts