Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I adopted a puppy, Loki, on 6/10/18 from a no kill shelter. He had the following vaccinations:

iDAPP with no lepto - 5/23
Canine Influenza - 6/7
Bordatella - 6/7

He was neutured on 6/7

He could have his next iDAPP on 6/13 and his next CI on 6/28 - I had called my vet early last week and they said it would be okay to just bring him on 6/28 for both.

Saturday night (6/16) he had a funny odor about him and when I woke him up to go potty at 3 am Sunday I saw yellow discharge from his nose. I don't mess around with dog illnesses - so I took him over to the emergency vet right away in the middle of the night.

He has no fever
No discharge from eyes
No cough
Has only sneezed twice
No vomiting
No noticeable lethargy (plays and sleeps normal as far as I can tell)
Urine normal (no blood)
Defecating normal (no blood and stool is firm)
Eating/Drinking normal

The ER vet diagnosed an upper respiratory infection and gave me liquid antibiotic. No other changes have occurred with his condition other than he still has a runny nose, the discharge was thicker Sunday but now its thin and mostly clear.

In 11 years of owning multiple dogs/pups - I've never dealt with this before. If it were distemper or parvo would I be seeing more symptoms by now than just a snotty nose? I talked to my regular vet this morning and they said just monitor him and if anything changes like he starts coughing/sneezing to call them back. Between the ER vet and my vet, they don't seem majorly concerned.

I haven't taken him to any places like dog parks. He's only been on the ground in my backyard. My three adult dogs are all vaccinated annually (show no signs of any illness). I've taken him to some dog friendly stores earlier last week, but I carried him and never put him down. I'm just really hoping this is nothing major and he'll make a full recovery! I am really paranoid when it comes to dog illness. We lost our almost 8 year old GSD, Zen, in October 2014 when he was on a steroid and ate the inside of a dog bed. He had an intestinal blockage and didn't make it after surgery. Then in January of this year we lost our 9 year old pitbull. He had a normal checkup in December and within a month a massive tumor grew in his abdomen and it was too late to treat by the time he had symptoms. I guess I go into everything expecting the worst now.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Sometimes dogs get "colds" just like we do. The bordatella vaccine doesn't protect against everything, just like the flu vaccine doesn't protect against everything in humans. If your vet isn't too concerned, don't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye on your pup and watch for changes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes dogs get "colds" just like we do. The bordatella vaccine doesn't protect against everything, just like the flu vaccine doesn't protect against everything in humans. If your vet isn't too concerned, don't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye on your pup and watch for changes.
Thanks, Lillith! I just wish they could talk sometimes and tell me what is wrong. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dogs can get colds and, they can have allergies too. If you launder his bedding, try a hypoallergenic soap or a vinyl bed that can be wiped off with warm water as needed. If you're using a cleaner regularly in areas he has access to, air fresheners and such, stop using them or change brands.

Is anything in his outdoor area producing pollen? Chemicals on the grass or other plants he goes near and sniffs?

Ask your vet about allergies if the antibiotic doesn't clear it up.

My Halo is allergic to some laundry soaps and Bahia grass pollen - have to keep the pen mowed so there is never any seed heads on the grass since it is Bahia and, if we go out where there is Bahia pollen, he need a Benadryl.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dogs can get colds and, they can have allergies too. If you launder his bedding, try a hypoallergenic soap or a vinyl bed that can be wiped off with warm water as needed. If you're using a cleaner regularly in areas he has access to, air fresheners and such, stop using them or change brands.

Is anything in his outdoor area producing pollen? Chemicals on the grass or other plants he goes near and sniffs?

Ask your vet about allergies if the antibiotic doesn't clear it up.

My Halo is allergic to some laundry soaps and Bahia grass pollen - have to keep the pen mowed so there is never any seed heads on the grass since it is Bahia and, if we go out where there is Bahia pollen, he need a Benadryl.
Thanks Bluemoods! I live in Central Florida, there's always pollen EVERYWHERE! My 10 year old GSD has environmental allergies and has a drippy nose during certain times of the year. So far everything is still normal other than the nasal congestion/discharge. If it doesn't clear up I'll try your suggestions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today is the last day of antiobiotics for Mr. Loki and he's doing great. No more discharge from his nose and all else still normal. Whew. We go to the vet in 5 days for his next round of boosters. Had a fecal test done on him last week while I had another dog at the vet and it was normal. He is supposed to start puppy school on the 30th so hoping the vet signs off that he's good to go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts