Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently got two puppies. A 12 week old pekingese cross, Luna and a 5week old Boston terrier cross, Ginny.
The two play fight all the time,which I believe is normal puppy behavior, but the older pup can get a bit rough and get the overhand as she is bigger and heavier. The small pup never complains and when I stop the older pup from the play, the small one always comes back for more.

Do I allow the play fighting to continue or should I keep stopping the bigger pup?

I already know that it was not the best thing to get the two pups together, but I have no option of returning one so I’m looking for some help, please.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I would suggest gently separating and giving them separate spaces to calm down if the playing gets too rough. Puppies can sometimes teach each other bite inhibition but letting them carry on for too long and just 'figure it out' isn't ideal. I'm not here to ask or judge, but I will say that 5 weeks is young for leaving a litter, speaking from a behavioral perspective. I would not let your older puppy play too long or hard with a puppy that is so much smaller and younger.

Here's an article about littermate syndrome: http://www.successjustclicks.com/littermate-syndrome/

If you don't feel that you have the time or energy to do 3x the amount of work and do some significant separation training for both puppies, I would suggest rehoming one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice. When I got the 5 week old the breeder told me she is 7 weeks old. I only found out her real age when I took her to the vet. The conditions at the place I got her was not great so I decided not to take her back.
Starting today I separated the two and am doing separate training. They do get short supervised play sessions together. They both seems calmer and less stressed already. It’s only the fisrt day but I’m hopeful. ��. It is a lot of extra work for me but I don’t mind and will happily give up the extra time if I can have two happy healthy puppies.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
thank you for the advice. When i got the 5 week old the breeder told me she is 7 weeks old. I only found out her real age when i took her to the vet. The conditions at the place i got her was not great so i decided not to take her back.
Starting today i separated the two and am doing separate training. They do get short supervised play sessions together. They both seems calmer and less stressed already. It’s only the fisrt day but i’m hopeful. ��. It is a lot of extra work for me but i don’t mind and will happily give up the extra time if i can have two happy healthy puppies.
excellent!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts