Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please remind me that all 3-4 month old puppies are whirlwinds of tiny sharp teeth and that this too shall pass?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When he makes this face, you can hardly even tell that he is, in fact, a creature composed entirely out of fangs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It shall pass lol. My wife called my current dog satan dog for the first 6 months or so. She didn't really interact with him until he was a good year old. You are not alone!

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
It shall pass!
However (and I'm just trying to be helpful), I don't think puppyhood NEEDS to be that hard either. Puppies bite. But what they bite and when they bite is determined by the owner, if you have a solid training/management/routine going. Even doing something simple like rewarding for calm at the pen, rewarding calm as you open it, rewarding, using treat tosses, as you walk out to the potty area, rewarding potty with a bout of tug on a bite rag... It's a lot more consideration than just 'let the puppy out- oh no it's biting me!' but biting humans is a totally learned behavior. And I am speaking generally, as I don't know what you've tried and not tried.

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
lol too cute... carry around a favorite toy and teach to hold or teach them to go find the toy during episodes.. that and the classic table spoon of peanut butter :) Any way to cheat during this time period :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not really fair to say he bites me all the time. There are many times he doesn't bite me, such as:
When he's eating (biting kibble)
When he's biting a toy or chew
When he's biting another person
When he's biting my other, very patient dog
When he's biting something expensive and/or dangerous that got overlooked in what I thought was meticulous puppy-proofing
When he's sleeping

lol, to be fair, I think he's teething. And he's actually got pretty good bite inhibition - he doesn't bite all that hard. And it's not hard to redirect him onto a toy. But he's also discovered this clever trick where he runs under your legs when you're seated and nips at your thighs from beneath? Aghhh.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
I think most of those situations (biting another person, your other dog, something expensive/dangerous, the back of your thighs) can be avoided by having him in a pen. I am not saying to contain him in a basement and forget about him. But I think it's equally extreme when puppies get total freedom as they WILL get into undesirable situations. A puppy can be in a pen right in the central living space, with you working right there, your older dog relaxing a few feet away, etc. That sets him up to learn how to be part of the household without giving him access to perform undesirable behaviors.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I'm using a puppy playpen, and he's coming along nicely with crate training, too. It's not unmanageable at all. I'm just ready for this phase to move along, lol.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Somehow ended up with same pic twice in post. One of the attachments was supposed to show up in post. Theres another pic at the bottom of the little croc hanging off my pajamas

·
Registered
146 Posts
Parus, I feel your pain -- literally! My right arm has a bunch of tiny scars and even a couple of fresh scabs from where my girl has chewed me up. My son has joked that I should wear long sleeves so nobody will think I'm a meth addict. :doh:

I will give you a rundown of what I've done. But keep in mind that my girl is 16.5 weeks old and is still a little vampire! I think the problem would be minimized if I had three hands instead of just two: one to hold the pup, a second to hold a treat, and a third to clip on the leash.

I bribed my girl into a sit, then a down before I clip on her leash. Since we started this, she is much better. Now, unless she's acting wild, I usually can clip on her leash just by asking her to sit. Getting a harness on her is another story. I still need to bribe to get her inside.

During potty runs Bodie likes to latch onto a pant leg or jump up and grab a sleeve. Socks, shoes, shoestrings are not safe either. This was a HUGE problem that often resulted in torn clothing and bruised skin. I started using kibble to lure her out of the house. It helped a lot. Sometimes she will still grab a pant leg, especially if she's in a playful mood. I just freeze and then she'll let go. Most of the time, she'll grab hold of her leash and hold it in her mouth on the way outside. This has resulted in a little frayed spot on the leash near the latch. Better than ripped clothing but will likely have to take steps to stop that habit.

We did the "ouch" method where you say "ouch" when the pup bites. This is supposed to teach them to soften their bite. Don't say it in a sweet "I love my vampire puppy" tone because your pup (like mine) might take it as an invitation to bite again, but harder! What I had to do was gruffly say, "ouch" then tell her that she needs to "be gentle." If she is in a fairly calm mood, "be gentle" will result in a softer chew or a lick instead of a real bite. This was OK when she was younger and I was trying to soften her bite. Unfortunately, "ouch" and "be gentle" mean nothing when my girl is in a wild mood. She just turned 4 months, so it's time she learned not to put teeth on human skin at all. The puppy group leader said we should now be saying "ouch" whenever teeth meets skin, no matter how gentle she bites.

One of the things we started last week was a short time out each time my girl got a little wild. Two time outs followed by wild action meant she went to her playpen for a longer cool-down session. Sometimes it worked but when she was in an excited mood, nothing seemed to help. So, a couple days ago, we talked to the woman who owns the dog training business where we take Bodie for her puppy class. The first thing the woman asked was "how much freedom does she get?" Feeling guilty, I confessed that the only free time she gets is short periods in the living room & kitchen but always dragging her leash. I explained that she spends most of her day in her playpen (in the office with me) with short potty visits to the backyard, longer backyard visits for playtime. Bedtime and whenever I need to leave the house, she is confined to her kennel.

I half expected to be scolded for not giving my girl more freedom. Turns out, I was doing pretty much what I should be doing -- except that my girl should have been getting more kennel time (nap time). Whenever she starts acting like a wild vampire, she goes into her kennel instead of the playpen. It's not meant to be a punishment. In fact, the woman told us that sometimes we can put her in the kennel with a frozen chicken wing, which will give her a chance to use up some of that biting energy before she settles into a nap.

I gave Bodie her first frozen chicken wing yesterday. I was a little nervous. I had grown up being told to never let my dog get hold of a chicken bone. I now know that cooked bones are unsafe but RAW bones, even chicken bones, are perfectly okay. Still, I hovered like a new mother giving her child solid food for the first time. Bodie loved it! She ate. Then she whined and fussed and barked to be let out. After awhile, she settled down for a nice long nap.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol found these pics of the first day I brought home my current little View attachment 246298 bundle of joy. Tormenting everyone in the house within 2 hours. View attachment 246298
Hahaha, amazing. Making so many new friends.

Parus, I feel your pain -- literally! My right arm has a bunch of tiny scars and even a couple of fresh scabs from where my girl has chewed me up. My son has joked that I should wear long sleeves so nobody will think I'm a meth addict. :doh:
o_O Now I am feeling grateful that at least Jet has a fairly soft mouth. He is very nippy but he has yet to actually leave a mark on a person or animal.

Whenever she starts acting like a wild vampire, she goes into her kennel instead of the playpen. It's not meant to be a punishment. In fact, the woman told us that sometimes we can put her in the kennel with a frozen chicken wing, which will give her a chance to use up some of that biting energy before she settles into a nap.
Yes! I have noticed that he's only really unrelentingly bitey when he's overtired. The rest of the time he can be redirected onto toys or distracted with a game or mini-training session. If when he's in frenzy vampire mode I put him in his crate or pen with a chewy, he'll chew it for a few minutes then conk out unconscious.

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
6lwNZSOhWYZhUECrZcNdcC.jpg

Definitely a thing. It will pass.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Atlas is two and a half and I still vividly remember this phase! He was particularly vicious. Admittedly I didn’t do much aside from riding it out, because he was a pretty amazing pup aside from being a land shark. (No chewing inappropriate things and very few potty accidents.) Perhaps my next pup will have more management, or maybe not, as Atlas might need a taste of his own medicine. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts