Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the allergy test for my shih-tzu,Gizmo,back and I am kinda shocked. I thought for sure she would have some major food allergies but the only significant value was in pork (which i don't feed anyway). I was not surprised she has problems with some weeds and grasses (yellow dock, marsh elder, Russian thistle,orchard grass, sweet vernal). I know I cant do to much about weeds/grasses other then wiping her down after rolling around. Her highest values were the mites:dust mites and storage mites. I have never heard of storage mites. These guys develop in areas of moisture and high humidity (this is southern Illinois in a nut shell).You find them in house dust and stored food products including PET FOOD. I need recommendations on how to deal with these mites. I was looking into air purifiers. Any opinions? I know I can only do so much but I want to do all I can for her.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Assuming you feed kibble, how do you store it and how long does one bag last? Dry kibble spoils just like any food product. Check to see if there are any mites in the kibble. I think they'd be small white bugs (not sure on that). If there's any sign of bugs, toss out the bag and buy a new bag.

Buy smaller bags of kibble (~2 weeks worth), this ways they'd stay fresher. Store pet food in dryer, cooler areas off of the floor, preferably air tight. I keep kibble in the bag in an airtight bin on top of a dresser...in the basement. Warm and moist aren't much of a problem in Colorado though.

This should keep mites and mold out of the food. For allergies, you could try benadryl. Each pill is 25mg but for a Shih-Tzu, I would think half a pill twice a day would be good. Hope that helped :).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Her highest values were the mites:dust mites and storage mites. I have never heard of storage mites. These guys develop in areas of moisture and high humidity (this is southern Illinois in a nut shell).You find them in house dust and stored food products including PET FOOD. I.
my son has this problem....very very allergic to them among many other things. The only thing you can do is sweep, sweep, and sweep. Change your bedding a lot along with washing your puppies bedding. If you can afford to remove the carpeting and put wood floors in (we HAD to get rid of all our carpet that is how badly allergic my son is), you need to keep the humidity low in the house (we had to get a dehumidifier), and my son is on allergy medication every day. Did the vet give you any type of allergy meds for your dog???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have wood floors in all rooms but my bedroom. The dehumidifier is a good idea. I have also been told you can get mattress covers for you bed that helps with the mites (my bed is her bed). we ordered meds for her (sounds like its going to be a lot of shots-she will not be happy)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts