Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O how I have been dreading this time of year :( my chihuahua deuce has lots of allergy issues both food and environmental. We finally got an allergy test after the last season but my vet suggested we wait with the allergy shots since last season was unusually bad. I agreed since I would prefer not to give him injections all the time. This year I really want to take a preventative approach to prevent him from getting to a bad stage. He started the licking a few days ago and his eyes are reddish. The last 2days I gave him a little Benadryl to help the itching since the grass at work was just cut for the first time and I'm sure it's making him itch. I also wipe his feet after walks and today he will be getting a bath in tea tree oil shampoo. I also started giving him fish oil. Any other suggestions to help him?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
The vet told me to use vitamin E and the fish oil and oatmeal shampoo ... but you would know best for your dog about the bathing ... as every dog is different. Vitamin E should be given with fish oil anyways. The dogs body uses up a lot of vitamin E to utilize the fish oil in the first place. It needs to be replaced into the dogs system. I was told 1000mg capsule of fish oil a day for a 20 pound dog and 200IU of vitamin E a day for a 20 pound dog. I was told this at the vet the other day as Lucy has some skin issues which are allergy related. ( flea and possibly food related ) You can always ask your vet about this. :)

Also Abbylynn and Blu Boy get these on a daily basis. It is good for skin and coat.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ill get some vitamin e as well. We used oatmeal shampoo in the past but i have since learned that oatmeal shampoo is actually bad for skin issues especially for yeasty feet, it actually promotes the yeast environment and causes more yeast to grow. Since deuce is always licking he always got the yeast infection and I was actually making it worse with the oatmeal baths. My holistic vet suggested the tea tree oil instead and it really helps him a lot. Yeah deuce has both food and environmental as well, I hate allergies!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thanks for the tip on oatmeal ... I think I will skip that. Others have said the same thing about the oatmeal shampoo! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts