Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! After we adopted our new dog, she began itching like crazy so we took her to the vet. The vet told us to try flea preventatives as that can solve a mite issue, and we put her on benadryl as well as a medicated oatmeal bath twice a week. It has helped a little, but after weeks of her seeming to get better and then scratching herself raw and bloody on a bad day, we're still not sure if we've come up with the best solutions. Going back to the vet tomorrow to work on if it needs a different diagnosis, but I am almost certain it is an allergy problem. I put her on a grain-free fish food diet from Wellness Core (their ocean brand) in case it is a chicken allergy, and give her benadryl twice a day. Has anyone had similar issues with their dog that they found a good solution for? I would like to get some ideas to ask the vet about tomorrow when I take my little good girl in to get her some relief!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do you think it's environmental allergies?
My dog as a pup ate cheap (wasn't aware at the time it's not good) dog food. And later on he started scratching like crazy. Looked into dog foods and put him on grain free and it worked (I was amazed) but now he's suffering from environmental allergies.
I was told oatmeal baths weren't good but if the vet recommended it continue to use it.
Have you thought about fish oil or vitamin E oil?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have wondered about environmental allergies, but the vet said with how vigorous her scratching was he thought that unlikely? I thought it was our condo because it is incredibly dry, but we got a humidifier and that has only provided minimal help. I'm fairly certain its not the food because she eats high quality grain free food, but I have thought about fish oil. Have you found that helps? What do you do for environmental allergy relief? That seems more difficult to isolate than a food allergy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have wondered about environmental allergies, but the vet said with how vigorous her scratching was he thought that unlikely? I thought it was our condo because it is incredibly dry, but we got a humidifier and that has only provided minimal help. I'm fairly certain its not the food because she eats high quality grain free food, but I have thought about fish oil. Have you found that helps? What do you do for environmental allergy relief? That seems more difficult to isolate than a food allergy.
Interesting, because my dog has never had any blood while scratching.
I'm also not doubting the food as it's a good brand.
I just started using fish oil this morning for my dog so I can't give answer yet.
I'm still trying to control Jr's. But I give him Benadryl. I also spray him every night with a soothing spray that contains tree tea oil made for dogs. And I also use the GNC itchy relief shampoo.
And I'm looking into a brand called LICKS. it's like an allergy support for dogs. Which I might try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HmmLICKS looks like some kind of multivitamin? It looks like that has fish oil in it, I'll have to ask my vet if she thinks that would be good to get. My vet gave us a shampoo called Henry Schein that is some kind of medicated shampoo especially for allergies, and that definitely seems to help right after her bath but the next day its right back to itching.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes LICKS does have a multi vitamin but I'm looking into the allergy one.
I had to look up the shampoo but my aunts dog was given the same thing when she started itching a lot. Which I believe did help but at the same time she was on Benadryl and other medications
That's how it is with Jr. I showered him and he slept fine but the next day he was scratching. But his allergies I really can't prevent especially cause its spring now. And we have grass and trees. And I had also stopped giving Benadryl for a day. And he stayed all night scratching.

I also am aware that you can have a test done to see what their allergic to but I've been told like $300. And there are also shots.
Personally I've become okay that he'll most likely be on Benadryl for the rest of his life through spring and summer. But if he ever gets way worse I'll take him in to explore my other options some more.

Maybe someone else will have more advice but I also asked recently for allergies and I was basically told the same thing.
But I'm sure your vet will have more answers.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I'm biting the bullet and having my five year old GSD tested for allergies this spring. My vet and I are thinking environmental allergies. She's been on Zyrtec and Benadryl for the past year with no relief. She's miserable, and I'm tired of telling her to stop scratching and chewing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah keep us posted on how effective that turns out! I'd be intrigued on if that helps isolate the causes of the allergies enough to find a way to prevent it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Please do keep us posted. That would be interesting for me too. As I'm sure Jr has environmental allergies, and how you will try to keep it under control.
Though at the moment I'm trying to control how much grass he comes in contact with.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Actually yes I have thought about booties
We have quite a bit of grass in the front yard which lately I haven't been allowing him in the front yard. But for when I'm in a hurry it's very easy to let him 'go' in the front yard but hasn't happened in over a month. (I have 3 dogs that don't get along so only 1-2 allowed in the backyard at once so the front yard has to do when I'm in a hurry)
He wouldn't be comfortable with having them on and I wouldn't want to stress him out. Plus when he does go on the grass it's cause I'm in a hurry and I sure wouldn't have time to put them on as I still have 3 other dogs who also need to go.
In the backyard I have a kennel run which has no grass and I usually leave him in there. And when I leave him the entire yard he'll step over the grass (have very little) but doesn't like to lay or sit in it.

At Petsmart I saw the "paw wash" not sure what it's actually called but basically add soap and water and put there paw in the small container.

Though he's not much of a paw chewer or licker, surprisingly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah yeah that's understandable. Maybe just a quick wipe down of his paws after he's outside, my dad did that for one of the dogs I had growing up because she had allergies and it seemed to help a little. Even if he doesn't chew or lick, the scratching gets all the allergens into his fur.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Actually I never thought about that!
I have hypoallergenic wipes for dogs and when he came in I wiped his paws. I'm low on them but I'll see if it helps. I went to Petsmart today but it's just one of those things that I believe it's too expensive to buy there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts