Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old pit and his hair has started falling out in very small places ( spot on his tail, hair thinning around his eyes and shoulder blades), and his ears and paws are always red and the vet told me that I need to get him allergy tested and put him on steroid shots and all in all he told me its going to run me right around $1000 for everything!!! Has anybody else been through this and have any other kind of solution or suggestions??? Anything would be great!!!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
First, what food is he eating? Many allergies are related to food, and can be cleared up by switching to a different brand/protein source. Corn, wheat and soy seem to be the ingredients that frequently cause itching. Some dogs are sensitive to certain meats. A limited ingredient food such as California Natural can help.

Are his allergies worse at certain times of year? Does he get worse when he's mostly inside or mostly outside?

A thyroid blood panel might be a good idea, too. It would cost a lot less than $1000 :D . And medication for hypothyroid is pretty reasonable, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts