Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya everyone! Its been a while since I posted here.
BUT, I have a beagle/basset mix and he's about twelve years old and has allergies that manifest in skin issues. Currently he has been diagnosed with atopic dermatitis. We have been trying to find a food that works well for him.
What we've tried:
CURRENTLY I am feeding ACANA Pacifica for his skin... he's doing well but I can't afford it :(. I want to try to find a food that is 45$ or thereabouts for a large bag.
I've tried:
-Blue Buffalo- horrrible diarrhea for over a month.. we transitioned him over a 3 week period and he had horrible gas etc. Too rich, I think.
- Natural Balance: He wont eat it :/
- Earthborn HORRIBLE gas.
- Nutrisource: .. meh
- Innova- he wouldn't eat it
- california natural- no real difference

I am looking at Taste of the Wild. But I have heard really bad stuff about Diamond Foods... They seem to always have a recall out.

I've heard good things about Fromm and stuff as well. But what I am looking for is something that is primarily meat and as grain free as possible.

Any ideas? I work my budget around this dog food. But its expensive ><. I have another dog, a cocker spaniel that I feed as well.. she is prone to UTIs and I have to keep her away from high grain diets.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Its not cheap but I feed my dogs an alaska grown dog food made with wild salmon meal, barley and kelp. I have seen it work wonders for alergies in other dogs. Its called Alaska grown dog food and I know you can get it online by mail, I pay 49.99 for 50 lbs of it locally and that lasts my 3 dogs a month. I just had my parents put thier 9 year old shepherd/lab on it and in 3 weeks she has lost 4 lbs, calous's on her joints are gone and her coat looks like a new dog . Mom says she is like a puppy again !! I dont know if this will help you, maybe you can find another brand locally with similar ingredients ??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not cheap but I feed my dogs an alaska grown dog food made with wild salmon meal, barley and kelp. I have seen it work wonders for alergies in other dogs. Its called Alaska grown dog food and I know you can get it online by mail, I pay 49.99 for 50 lbs of it locally and that lasts my 3 dogs a month. I just had my parents put thier 9 year old shepherd/lab on it and in 3 weeks she has lost 4 lbs, calous's on her joints are gone and her coat looks like a new dog . Mom says she is like a puppy again !! I dont know if this will help you, maybe you can find another brand locally with similar ingredients ??
I can't find it anywhere :( I have found what is in it... but I can't find it.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
You;ve already tried anything I can suggest. Have you checked online? Quite a few have very good prices with free or very cheap shipping. What about salmon or fish oil? If he's doing well on the Acana, find a way to feed it. Roll coins, give up something (cigarettes, alcohol, Dunkin Donuts, lunch out) or deal with his skin issues except it's he who has to deal with them, not you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already cut out a lot. I am gonna find something. He does well high protein low carb.. From what I've seen he does better on fish than anything. So..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wondering what about Barking at the Moon? It has a LOT of the same ingredients as Acana Pacifica but its running about fifteen dollars cheaper.. how does it stack up to acana?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts