Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Is He Allergic?

• Yes. If he is allergic to rabbits as a food item then he is also allergic to them as a live pet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. If he is allergic to rabbits as a food item then he is not allergic to them as a live pet.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes. If he's allergic to the food the rabbit eats, then he's allergic to rabbit poop.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No. He's allergic to the ingredients in rabbit food only, he's not allergic to rabbit poop.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I learned that my dog is allergic to rabbits. The problem is I have a rabbit. According to the results of his allergy test, he is allergic to rabbits as a food item. The vet doesn't think he's allergic to 'live' rabbits. I got the rabbit a couple months ago (it was my backup plan if he was allergic to poultry) but I don't know if it's affecting him because he was already itching before I got it. He likes to interact with the rabbit and occasionally eats the rabbits poop. I can keep him away from the rabbit and the poop but can the smell of rabbits still have an effect on him?

What do you think? If he is allergic to rabbits as a food item, is he allergic to them as a live pet? And if he's allergic to some of the ingredients the rabbit eats, would he be allergic to rabbit poop?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Food allergies are usually due to a certain protein. So if he's allergic to rabbit meat that doesn't necessarily translate to an allergy to rabbit dander. If he's allergic to something in the rabbit's food, then, yes, he would probably be allergic to the rabbit's poop, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts