Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11lb maltipoo/yorkie mix who is a little over a year old and I'm getting him fixed in a couple of weeks. I have the consent form and talked to the vet but don't know what options I should get. (I'm indecisive). I know I'm having him microchipped. But I'm not sure about the other stuff. I read that getting blood work is good so you have a base for later. There's also a pt/ptt test for blood clot ability, surgical monitoring (but there will be someone with him at all times), Pain management (Therapeutic Laser treatment during surgery and/or pain meds to take home or nothing at all), an laser surgery (I've read that's more beneficial for females and he would take more time to heal but recovery is quicker). I don't care about the cost but I also don't want to pay for anything unnecessary.

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
Normal neuters are fairly noninvasive surgeries so that is a plus.

Personally, for any surgery I do blood work and a few days of pain medication like a basic NSAID. A few days of pain meds should be pretty cheap, maybe $20 or so. For major surgeries, I would opt for a pain shot and some narcotics like Tramadol followed by NSAIDs but a neuter is not a major surgery.

Most vets require blood work for dogs aged around 6-7 years and older but if cost is not a huge issue, it is great peace of mind and good info before giving medications.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
On a young, healthy dog, I tend to not do blood work. I'm comfortable with that. Other people aren't. I would never say that it's not a good idea to have it done, though.

The clotting test wouldn't be a bad idea, but again not something I've ever done.

A pain shot or meds for at home wouldn't be a bad idea, either, although as Shell said, most neuters are pretty easy and noninvasive, unless they have a retained testicle that the vet has to open up their abdomen to hunt down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts