Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interviewing to start working at Camp bowwow in Denver. I would NEVER pay to send my dog there. The yards are tiny with 30ish dogs in one yard. These people...Grrr. They don't even know how to break up a fight properly. They were explaining that you just have to get in between them. One worker says that she shoves her squirt gun between them thus ruining bottle after bottle. Wonder why?! Seriously. Fighting dogs will bite anything and everything and you want us to get between them! Another work had the tip of her finger completely bitten off! I asked if they wheelbarrow the dogs to break up fights. They didn't know what that was! I had to explain the process to my potential superiors which they misunderstood to mean grabbing the waist of the fighting dogs. *Facepalm*
Squirt bottles and air horns are used for nearly everything. These dogs are hardly allowed to play with each other. Harmless sparring, get out the squirt bottle. Chasing, get out the squirt bottle. They don't have any toys to speak of. No tennis balls. No kongs. I can understand that tennis balls could be shreaded but if you're watching the dogs as attentively as you should be, you'll catch it before it becomes a hazard. There are dogs so bored and frustrated that they're spinning in circles and digging at the concrete. They've got nothing to do!
Humping is never allowed. Ever. A boston was humping a bulldog constantly(had to get out the squirt bottle). This bulldog wouldn't notice if the world was coming to an end let alone if a little boston kept humping it. I understand that it could be an issue if the humpee cared but if the humpee doesn't care, I sure don't.
Things will change when I'm on the clock even if I have to bring in kongs out of my own pocket.

One last thing. They foster dogs there which is great. Or at least it should be. The current foster is a pyrenees(sp?) mix. She hates male dogs so she's in a kennel 24/7. They should not be fostering this dog if it's only going to rot in its own filth! The manager introduced us to the foster and the pooch licked her lips having just finished drinking water. Manager says,"Licking lips means they're going to bite you".:eek:

I intend to work extensively with all the fosters once I start. There's no reason they shouldn't be loved and prepped for a permanent home.

:mad::eek:
</rant>

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Good luck working there. I fear your stress level from working in such a place is going to be sky high! Hopefully you'll have a positive impact and be able to effect some changes in how they manage things.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Ooh geez! I just finished filling out an application for Camp BowWow and had intended on sending it next month... I can't imagine...

I'm reconsidering if I want employment with them or not. The Camp BowWow in my neck-of-the-woods is one suite of a small strip-mall so-to-speak, and every time I drive by it, I see the fence that obviously belongs to them and it's not very big at all...

They're hardly ever busy either, I think that's a bad sign... Plus I saw an employee walking out, and she had tattoos every where, her shirt was wrinkled like it'd been worn and taken off a dozen times without a good washing...

Ugh...

</my rant>

Good luck to you though! I hope, like Winniec, that you'll have a positive impact and hopefully help encourage your employees to use other methods then just "squirt bottles", *Sheesh! lol!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you should still send in your application.
A.) Every camp is different.
B.) You could totally have a positive impact.
Believe me, I'm not going in there thinking that I'm going to let things stay the way they are. Half the dogs were sopping wet and neurotic. I would've been too if my teachers had decided to squirt me every time I tried to interact with my peers.
(Off topicish)There was a previously abused cattle dog there that I'm convinced was going to chew his own tail off. Apparently, his owners roommate was evicted and on parting he said,"The only good thing about living here was beating your dog".:eek: How could you not notice the change in your dog when a roommate is beating them?

I'll turn things around. Who knows? Maybe I can climb the ladder and really have an impact.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I thought about applying to the Camp Bow Wow out here and then changed my mind. I think I'm glad I did. I'd rather get started volunteering with shelter dogs again, anyway.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about applying to the Camp Bow Wow out here and then changed my mind. I think I'm glad I did. I'd rather get started volunteering with shelter dogs again, anyway.
I'm hoping my work with the foster pups will be just as good as volunteering. However, I'm not sure all camps foster.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
It sounds like you will be a tremendous asset to this place & I sure hope they will see that & allow you some room to make improvements for them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts