Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone could offer some insight into something that's recently started to happen. Twice now when my wife and I have taken our 9 month old Golden Retriever out on the leash with my wife holding the leash, within a few minutes the dog starts reacting to me as she hasn't seen me in months. Completely over-excited and extremely hard to get under control. We're really not sure what's causing this reaction, so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, has any suggestions as to why or what can be done to fix this behavior. Thanks muchly :)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Often a dog suddenly jumping all over you like this is due to a lack of confidence. Not in you or your wife but in the environment. It may be a fear period. It may be just because the dog is still very much a puppy and, like a little kid, has a lack of confidence at times.

I would not correct the behavior. I would also not baby the behavior. I would get the dog redirected to a favorite toy and play tug with the dog.

I would get a ball on a rope or a tug toy you can engage with the dog and play tug. Because the dog may be unconfident, let the dog win the game of tug. Builds confidence.

The other thing to consider is some dogs are "carriers" and will be happiest carrying a toy during a walk. This behavior characteristic is common in retrieving breeds and it is a genetic predisposition.

Do not use a tennis ball. Dogs can get those lodged in their throat and suffocate. The exterior of a tennis ball can severely wear a dog's teeth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts