Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NB Lamb and Rice that I am feeding puppy (Canned) doesn't give a portion size for puppies- most annoying becuase it just says (for example) 1-2 cans per day/adults 10lbs or less; Puppies need approx 3 times more.

She won't eat 3 times more- she will eat the adult portion but no more than that, and I wondered how you feed them the ALS foods.

I do wonder if she is close to full size now though and that might be why (5 months, Yorkie-Chi cross)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Do I understand correctly that you are feeding strictly canned diet?

Regardless, my dogs *never* eat the recommended amounts of foods. I believe they are typically too much for *most* dogs.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I can't imagine a Yorkie/Chi eating 3 cans of food a day, no matter what age! But, yeah, I would say she's nearly full-grown, I don't think she needs too many more calories than she will when she's older. If she's in good shape, don't worry about how much the bag/can says to feed.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yeah, the recommended portions are usually WAY too much. Kabota eats about 2/3 the lowest recommendation for Wellness Core (kibble). As long as she's in proper shape, has a waist, nice tuck, etc., don't worry.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah, never ever go strictly by the feeding recommendation on the bag. Nowadays I disregard it. Most brands recommend 1 1/2-2 cups of food for a dog Chocolate's size(23 lbs), but anymore than 2/3 cup a day and he begins to get chunky. You won't find any two similar sized dogs with the exact same activity level or metabolic rate, so let your dog be your guideline. It will take some trial and error before you find an amount that works for him/her.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to say thank you for all the replies- and yes, no kibble as she hasn't been able to chew it for a couple weeks- she just started shewing again this weekend!! So NB Lamb and rice kibble for her soon-

(Teething dog didn't chew ANYTHING- strange but true)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts