Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to some unavoidable instances, we're going to have to leave our Aussie puppy at home all day long for the next two weeks (and then i can start coming back home at lunch if necessary). He's 4 months (28lb) and doing really good in the house while we watch him...currently he is in his crate from 730 to 1230 and i come home at lunch to let him out (he pees and poops), then again from 1 to 4.

I know this isnt the most ideal scenario, and i have a feeling he's not going to be able to hold it....should we keep him in his crate to encourage him to hold it, or let him stay in the kitchen (which we keep him in when we have errands to run <1hr)? He's good in the kitchen as well, but im sure with more room, he's more likely to not hold it.

Is this going to set-back housetraining? Id hate to go from a dog who now rings the bell to go outside to a dog that is used to p'ing in the kitchen...

I feel really bad for having to do this to him at 4 months, but thats the way it goes....ideas? suggestions?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I think you answered your own question...he's probably not going to be able to hold it that long. If you crate him, you'll have to bathe him and thoroughly scrub the crate if there's an 'accident'.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can also try it for one day and see how he does! I wouldn't leave any water or food while he is in there though! If he does it then great, if not thenyou know what else to try.

If it were me I could crate all day. I wouldn't want to incourage him to go in the house at all. They won't go in their crate usually. Just try it out and see!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would hire a pet sitter to come over at noon and let him out for potty for the 2 weeks.

Every time he goes in the house, it's going to take longer to get him trained. And it might set back what you've already accomplished.

Having said that, I wouldn't try to make him hold it. You'll have a stressed puppy and a horrible mess. If you absolutely cannot hire a sitter, leave him in the kitchen and deal with the set back later. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just don't see crating being an option, it's not something your dog can really be expected to handle at this age... they just are physically capable of holding thier bowels the full day and being kept in excrement is just an awful thing to do to your animal. If you can't find someone soon enough to come by then I think your idea of using the kitchen or a bathroom is the best option. Sure you'll have some set back with potty training but you'll be preapred and patient and your dog will have a chance to re-learn what to do without having to be fouled in the the process. Things happen and life can be a little crazy at times so don't sweat it, do what's best for your dog and I'm sure after a couple weeks you'll be back on track and can refocus your pooch! Just plug your nose when you come in the door for the next bit *wink*.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'd go for finding someone to come in and let him out to potty mid day, if you can't do this my second choice would be doggie day care. If neither of the above are at all possible I'd opt for the kitchen where he can at least get out of the mess he's likely to make, oh and yes, i would imagine that would probably set you back a bit on house training :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently ran into the same problem.

My puppy is almost 4 months and for this week, and the next two, I have orientation for my new job from 8-4. Unable to come home for lunch, I hired a petsitter to let Darby out midday.

I have been putting her in her kennel and she has done fine. No accidents. Like I said, obviously not the most ideal situation, but I don't trust her in the kitchen not to chew/have accidents.

I would definitely recommend the crate and possibly hire someone. I would go with a neighbor if at all possible because as I discovered, pet walkers/sitters can be expensive.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Personally when I've had puppies and worked all day in the past I set the crate inside an ex-pen with the crate door open and set up the whole thing in the kitchen (easy to clean). Then when I got home, I took down the ex-pen, cleaned up any accidents with an enzyme cleaner, and went back to taking the pup outside. The ex-pen set up was only up those times when I could not be/get home to take the pup out. That way the pup didn't go in the crate, I had a limited area to clean, and there was nothing the pup could get into. It would have been ideal to have someone who could come in during the time I was gone but that's not always the case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with the idea of the cage in the exercise pen in the kitchen. I would put down a puppy pad to encourage him to go on the pad. The nice thing about the pad is that when it's gone... so is the permission to go inside. I'm sorry that your circumstances won't allow you to come home to take him out mid-day... that's tough. Just make sure that you limit his space to a small area but that he has enough room to get away from his excrement.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
The nice thing about the pad is that when it's gone... so is the permission to go inside.
If only that were true...

My first choice would be to try and find someone to come in and let him out for a little while

If you want to leave the puppy in the kitchen, I also suggest the expen idea, or you're going to have all sorts of messes to clean up.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
If only that were true...

My first choice would be to try and find someone to come in and let him out for a little while

If you want to leave the puppy in the kitchen, I also suggest the expen idea, or you're going to have all sorts of messes to clean up.
Not to mention the kitchen is the most expensive room to remodel should puppy decide to teeth on the cabinets. :eek: Yup, I learned that the hard way. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts