Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

All-Breed Show Pics

5K views 71 replies 22 participants last post by  txcollies 
#1 ·
Well every year in central Illinois there's a big AKC conformation/rally/obedience show...since such a thing is rare in the prairie, people travel to see it. I knew several people exhibiting there (conformation and performance) so I made my way over (yes this is the same same show Xeph is haunting this weekend).

I attempted to take pics but the conformations rings were indoors so...well I did the best I could with what I had lol.

Enjoy!

Porties:

Lhasos:

Danes:

*more*

See less See more
#10 ·
Dal:

Sibes:

Somewhere in there my camera battery started flashing at me so I had to conserve to get these last two...

Flatcoats:

I took a ton of Terv and GSD pics but unfortunately they didn't turn out at all...(even worse than some of these lol)

#13 ·
Thanks for sharing such awesome pics!

That Great Dane looks to be in nice shape!!!!! Wow
AmStaff is cute
Belgian Groenendael pretty
Shar Pei not too wrinkly, that is nice.
Beauceron another I really like, great pic
I don't like English Bulldogs at all, but that one is rather nice, don't know why. Something about him/her. Cute.
Border Terriers sweet

Too bad about the Terv pics. Did you see any Malinois?

Many of the others lovely as well.

I would have just liked to see Pit Bull Terrier, Corso and Staffy.

#16 · (Edited)
Any time Reno :)

V -- sorry to shock you concerning Henrietta...it's always the ones you never suspect, right? :p

Too bad about the Terv pics. Did you see any Malinois?

Many of the others lovely as well.

I would have just liked to see Pit Bull Terrier, Corso and Staffy.
There were only a few Malinois -- unfortunately I missed their actual show because I was distracted by the Dobes (who were between the Mals and the door, plus I get to play Kim's Mal BF regularly but don't get to play with Dobes very often). And once out of the ring...well they are Malinois, they weren't exactly standing still for dim-lighting pics lol

There was a Staffy pic, but since it was AKC there weren't any APBTs or Cane Corsos to attempt to photograph.

I'll upload the best one of the Terv pics once my camera battery recharges.

#18 ·
Oh, I just loved your pictures! I really loved that mastiff's face as he "guarded" the bag! What a cutie!!!!

Of course, I MUST say a BIG thanks for getting the sammies. Those Akita Inus are just stunning, too!! I did look heavily at akitas before I chose sams, but I just wasn't sure I could handle the temperment of an akita.

#20 ·
OoOo....a dark brindle akita **drools** Such a cool breed.

I always think that dog shows are just full of dog-insane people who spend hours and hours trying to get that last hair in place before they have to enter the ring where they show for 2 minutes!!!! LOL!!!

BTW- Love Webster's ears!

#21 ·
It really varies.

I saw a Springer Spaniel person physically shoving his dog into position despite the dog's obvious anxiety, and a GSD person heavily choke-chain correcting their dog. I think that's the sort of image a lot of people have of dog shows.

On the other hand I saw a Newfie person meticulously getting "that last hair in place" outside the ring...then the dog danced around and got one of his own slingers wrapped around his head. The person just cracked up, said "you're hopeless!", wiped it off, and walked into the ring.

The flatcoat handers were in jeans and just hung out and let their dogs play prior to entering the ring.

A dobe person took his dog out to roll in the grass before showing to relieve stress. Granted he was wiped off after but hey.

So I guess it just depends. Granted I didn't go back into the grooming area so I don't know how insane/fanatical people get there, but it seems like attitudes vary over a pretty wide range: some people are out for blood, some people just genuinely think it's a good time, and for some people it's a job...and various combinations of all the above.

#23 ·
Yikes!!!

Showing should never be like that. My mom had this one bitch that was super incredible. But, she hated the ring and just didn't show well. Kept her ears down, her tail down, and looked generally mopey.

Mom showed her three times, and said, "Welp, that was a bust!" and gave her to a family as a pet. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't force the dog to show. The best show dogs are the ones that have that incredible spark that makes them just shine in the ring- the kind of attitude that turns heads.

The newfie owner has the right idea. It's supposed to be fun! It's really funny to see young male sams in the ring for the first time. :p I think certain breeds lend themselves to forcing their people to have a sense of humor! ;)

#24 ·
You shouldn't force the dog to show. The best show dogs are the ones that have that incredible spark that makes them just shine in the ring- the kind of attitude that turns heads.

The newfie owner has the right idea. It's supposed to be fun! It's really funny to see young male sams in the ring for the first time. :p I think certain breeds lend themselves to forcing their people to have a sense of humor! ;)
LOL - so true, on all accounts!

And honestly the vast majority of dogs there like it. Many even love it, and they really shine.

Even among those that don't it's usually just resignation at worst. Not something you want to see, but not exactly a cause for concern either. Like your mother's dog, they just aren't cut out for the job.

Unfortunately there are people who give everyone else a bad image and are poor/inhumane dog owners/handlers...be it in conformation, SAR, obedience, rally, agility, tracking, field, law enforcement K9 programs, weight-pull, or just 'everyday' pet ownership. Especially pet ownership.

#27 ·
Great photos! I LOVE dog shows. Your camera takes much better photos in the dim light then mine does. Nice!

Spicy... I'll make sure to get some good photos of the bully breeds at the UKC Premier on the 12th just for you.

#28 · (Edited)
Was it split into colors for Aussies? cause all I see ther are the black tris. It's unusual in AKC for aussies to be seperated by color they usually only do it if there is a HUGE entry.

and here is an interesting tidbit in case you didn't know.

For Am. Staffs the uncropped ear is supposed to be prefered over the cropped ear according to the standard but you almost never see an uncropped dog.

#31 · (Edited)
DOGGONE IT SHAINA!!! I was THERE! WITH DELPHI! As in I WAS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO YOU!!!!

*dies*

The woman in the white suit with the Rottie bitch (3rd one back I think) is Delphi's handler!

#33 · (Edited)
LOL I actually saw you outside the GSD right first thing in the morning (not to creep you out lol)...but you were leaving as I walked up and I didn't want to try to yell "XEPH!" over the crowd :p Plus you had your hands very full of a certain GSD bitch that seemed to think striding out into the hoard of people walking by would be fun :p

I didn't see you by the Rotties at all but I was talking to someone I knew so was basically just watching the dogs instead of the people.

Are you going back today?

LMAO - Keechack, down here, 35 is a SMALL entry for Aussies- I almost never see fewer than 25! It's always split by color!
We poor Midwesterners have it rough, lol. Seriously though, for a lot of breeds it is SO hard to get the major pts. required to finish a championship even with a perfect dog simply because there are so few majors here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.