Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OoOo....a dark brindle akita **drools** Such a cool breed.

I always think that dog shows are just full of dog-insane people who spend hours and hours trying to get that last hair in place before they have to enter the ring where they show for 2 minutes!!!! LOL!!!

BTW- Love Webster's ears!
It really varies.

I saw a Springer Spaniel person physically shoving his dog into position despite the dog's obvious anxiety, and a GSD person heavily choke-chain correcting their dog. I think that's the sort of image a lot of people have of dog shows.

On the other hand I saw a Newfie person meticulously getting "that last hair in place" outside the ring...then the dog danced around and got one of his own slingers wrapped around his head. The person just cracked up, said "you're hopeless!", wiped it off, and walked into the ring.

The flatcoat handers were in jeans and just hung out and let their dogs play prior to entering the ring.

A dobe person took his dog out to roll in the grass before showing to relieve stress. Granted he was wiped off after but hey.

So I guess it just depends. Granted I didn't go back into the grooming area so I don't know how insane/fanatical people get there, but it seems like attitudes vary over a pretty wide range: some people are out for blood, some people just genuinely think it's a good time, and for some people it's a job...and various combinations of all the above.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yikes!!!

Showing should never be like that. My mom had this one bitch that was super incredible. But, she hated the ring and just didn't show well. Kept her ears down, her tail down, and looked generally mopey.

Mom showed her three times, and said, "Welp, that was a bust!" and gave her to a family as a pet. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't force the dog to show. The best show dogs are the ones that have that incredible spark that makes them just shine in the ring- the kind of attitude that turns heads.

The newfie owner has the right idea. It's supposed to be fun! It's really funny to see young male sams in the ring for the first time. :p I think certain breeds lend themselves to forcing their people to have a sense of humor! ;)

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You shouldn't force the dog to show. The best show dogs are the ones that have that incredible spark that makes them just shine in the ring- the kind of attitude that turns heads.

The newfie owner has the right idea. It's supposed to be fun! It's really funny to see young male sams in the ring for the first time. :p I think certain breeds lend themselves to forcing their people to have a sense of humor! ;)
LOL - so true, on all accounts!

And honestly the vast majority of dogs there like it. Many even love it, and they really shine.

Even among those that don't it's usually just resignation at worst. Not something you want to see, but not exactly a cause for concern either. Like your mother's dog, they just aren't cut out for the job.

Unfortunately there are people who give everyone else a bad image and are poor/inhumane dog owners/handlers...be it in conformation, SAR, obedience, rally, agility, tracking, field, law enforcement K9 programs, weight-pull, or just 'everyday' pet ownership. Especially pet ownership.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Awesome pics! That is a gorgeous AmStaff! Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Great photos! I LOVE dog shows. Your camera takes much better photos in the dim light then mine does. Nice!

Spicy... I'll make sure to get some good photos of the bully breeds at the UKC Premier on the 12th just for you.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Was it split into colors for Aussies? cause all I see ther are the black tris. It's unusual in AKC for aussies to be seperated by color they usually only do it if there is a HUGE entry.

and here is an interesting tidbit in case you didn't know.

For Am. Staffs the uncropped ear is supposed to be prefered over the cropped ear according to the standard but you almost never see an uncropped dog.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yup it was split by color...there were around 35 entries. I didn't know they did that for large entries and was a little confused when every time I looked over there was only one color in the ring lol

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
35 is a very big entry. That was a 5 point major. The most I've seen was 22 (including Hawkeye) and it wasn't split by color.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
DOGGONE IT SHAINA!!! I was THERE! WITH DELPHI! As in I WAS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO YOU!!!!

*dies*

The woman in the white suit with the Rottie bitch (3rd one back I think) is Delphi's handler!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
LMAO - Keechack, down here, 35 is a SMALL entry for Aussies- I almost never see fewer than 25! It's always split by color!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
DOGGONE IT SHAINA!!! I was THERE! WITH DELPHI! As in I WAS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO YOU!!!!

*dies*

The woman in the white suit with the Rottie bitch (3rd one back I think) is Delphi's handler!
LOL I actually saw you outside the GSD right first thing in the morning (not to creep you out lol)...but you were leaving as I walked up and I didn't want to try to yell "XEPH!" over the crowd :p Plus you had your hands very full of a certain GSD bitch that seemed to think striding out into the hoard of people walking by would be fun :p

I didn't see you by the Rotties at all but I was talking to someone I knew so was basically just watching the dogs instead of the people.

Are you going back today?

LMAO - Keechack, down here, 35 is a SMALL entry for Aussies- I almost never see fewer than 25! It's always split by color!
We poor Midwesterners have it rough, lol. Seriously though, for a lot of breeds it is SO hard to get the major pts. required to finish a championship even with a perfect dog simply because there are so few majors here.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
hmm maybe I should head down there for a show. How far is it from Chicago?

Although in an AKC show the fewer Hawk is up aginst the better chance he'll have unless he gets the perfect judge for his type. It'll be hard to finish him in AKC.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
OoOo....a dark brindle akita **drools** Such a cool breed.

I always think that dog shows are just full of dog-insane people who spend hours and hours trying to get that last hair in place before they have to enter the ring where they show for 2 minutes!!!! LOL!!!

BTW- Love Webster's ears!
Well there certainly are some of those types at dogshows. I am not a groomer, which is why I picked Rottweiler's as a favorite breed. (one of the reasons) When showing them, you just have to pick the crusties out of the corners of their eyes and go. They are not supposed to be clipped in anyway. You might give them a bath and make sure their nails are trimmed back but that is daily maintenance. I wouldn't want to have to groom a poodle or any of the long coated breeds, that is for sure.

Great pictures Shaina, glad to see you had fun.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
luckly with Aussies you just trim the feet neaten up the stragly hairs on the ears. and take off the long feathering on the tail and you can go in like that. some people in aussies DO go overboard, I've seen people who trim the britches to make them rounded, I've seen them trim the fur on the underside to make it a stright line, and I've seen people take so much hair off of the ears that they look like Labrador ears. that kind of over the top grooming is not expected in my breed though and I guess it's just a new fad.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I didn't know whippets came in brindle. Pretty dogs all around!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks for sharing - loved the pictures. So many breeds under one roof would be very cool to see indeed. Nearly spat out my morning shake on the (ahem) dog doing what is every handlers nightmare. :p Did you see any berners there?

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I didn't know whippets came in brindle. Pretty dogs all around!
:)

Thanks for sharing - loved the pictures. So many breeds under one roof would be very cool to see indeed. Nearly spat out my morning shake on the (ahem) dog doing what is every handlers nightmare. :p Did you see any berners there?
No Berners :( You can bet I would have gotten pics of them if there were...they are one of my favorite "giant" breeds.

Sorry 'bout the coffee, lol. That poor handler looked fit to be tied.

There was a second similar incident involving a Schnauzer. Apparently one of the handlers was asked ringside to handle the dog (last minute) and she agreed...only to have the dog urinate in the ring. And honestly...the dog kept going for about 45 seconds, it was unbelievable. When she stepped out of the ring, bright red, she declared she'd never handle the guys' dogs again lol.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
OL I actually saw you outside the GSD right first thing in the morning (not to creep you out lol)...but you were leaving as I walked up and I didn't want to try to yell "XEPH!" over the crowd
Well ya should have you fruit!!!

Plus you had your hands very full of a certain GSD bitch that seemed to think striding out into the hoard of people walking by would be fun
One thing is certain...she's not afraid of much (thank God!). I would have stopped to say hello. I hope I wasn't the person you saw overcorrecting their dog :p I will admit, Delphi got a couple good ones (she's a bit over zealously friendly), but she actually reacted better than Strauss does sometimes x.x

She's just so HAPPY! Sorry the first thing you saw was her ugly pinhead though :p Maybe we can swing back through on our way to TX so you can meet the crew xD

21 - 40 of 72 Posts