Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slayer has, in the last few months began alert barking if strangers approach us in select areas. Those areas being the yard if its dark, our room and our dog sitters house. I do not mind the behavior as she does it with wagging tail and runs to greet them and sniff. What is confusing me is my dog sitter tells me that when my husband and I are not around she doesn't alert at all. Why would this be???

Also one other barking/growling related question. When the sitter and her husband play, they get down on all fours and hop around. Slayer goes ballistic with barking and growling..but all she does is play bow and licj faces...this is nothing to worry about is it? Can over excitement sound like anger?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Alert barking.....hm. It sounds like it might be protective, to alert YOU, her people, and she's not so worried about protecting the house sitter....

As for the second question, over excitement can get out of hand. Right now, it sounds as if she wants to play, too, but, if she does get over excited, she may not be as "in control" and may do something she normally wouldn't. So, it's a good idea to learn her body language, and perhaps end play time right before she goes into "over excited" mode.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ty for the reply, we end play6 as soon as she gets to the jumping around sporadically bit. lol..after that she is a danger to the furniture and porcelain lol

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
LOL! Our dogs are so small (a mini dachshund, and a dachshund chihuahua mix) that we don't have to worry about them breaking anything! Lucky us!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Why would you want a dog to alert bark, then not do anything about it? Mine alert barks as well but it need be, she will do something about it. She uses barking as a warning, as in a cross btw "mom, someone is coming" & "stranger stay away, your approaching our territory"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts