Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Alaskan puppies in family with a young girl...

2K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  malamutelove 
#1 ·
My friend was searching for a dog. I gave him all the usual tip, yet this morning he got all happy telling me he found his dog.

The dog is a malamute and he'll have him in a week. The puppy will then be 7 weeks old.

He lives in a small duplex with his girlfriend and their 5 year old girl. He's active, but works a ton and is not often home. The dog is (big mistake) mostly for his daughter.

So yeah, how do I explain to him nicely this is not the best situation for him or the puppy?

#2 ·
Does he understand that malamutes are large, working dogs? Specifically used to haul heavy freight for long distances.

They're definitely not an apartment dog, although they can live in an apartment if exercised sufficiently.

Plus, when a mal blows coat...they really blow coat...it's truly astounding at the amount of undercoat...just wow.

I would make sure your friend understands how large the dog will be when grown, and how destructive a bored malamute can be. Think holes in the drywall, couches and furniture completely destroyed, digging giant holes in the carpet, tearing up flooring and that's only a day's work.

I LOVE malamutes and I researched Nordic breeds for a LONG time before I decided I didn't want one. I looked at websites and bought malamute books and went to shows and talked to breeders (some that showed and some that worked and some who did both) and tried my BEST to convince myself that I could have one.

Male malamutes can be dog aggressive; they howl like wolves rather then bark, and they have an extraordinary prey drive.

As with most nordics, they can be very difficult to train for the novice owner. Not saying it can't be done and they are great dogs, but they're not nearly as biddable as my corgi.

Again, I just adore this breed, but they are alot of dog in so many ways.

#3 ·
I'm not sure what you could tell him. Perhaps show him some videos online of what mals/sibes do when they are bored, what they are capable of endurance-wise (races), blowing coats, etc. A 5 year old may spell disaster for such a high prey drive dog - it depends on the child's behavior. Maybe find a few videos of mals hunting/demonstrating their prey drive.
Demonstration of what the dog will be like grown is the only thing I can think of

#4 ·
I sent him an email about it, telling him my experience with my nordic dog and such. I tried to explain it could be a really bad choice for him, because of his situation.

It was lenghty, but I mentionned everything you guys mentionned and added that if he was dead set of a nordic breed, he should at least go to a rescue and find an adult dog who already has a calm personality and is really used to children.

#9 ·
I mentioned that to him.

and he's a really good guy, but he works a lot, often during the night and he's generally exhausted. It sounds like such a bad idea to me. I gave him examples of normal activities my nordic dog NEEDS to be easy to manage on a day to day basis.

He just replied to me. At least he's not offended. He said he did all the research and needs a motivator to start moving around. He said he called several places and they advised him against an adult dog because of the kid (huh.....?????).

At least he wants advice....I guess he'll need them.

#6 ·
Mmm...More stuff:

Now, I consider myself a fairly active person, but malamutes need more excercise then what I could provide. With Opal, I can spend 30 minutes twice a day throwing frisbees with her and doing training and she's pretty good to go. Throw in an evening jog for a mile or so for good measure. On weekends, we go hiking. She's high drive, but she does have an off switch, thank the gods of Corgi. ;-)

Malamutes need so much more then that; I would say that if you don't bikejour every day or do actual hauling or do performance with weight pull that it would be almost impossible to meet their requirements.

Plus, they CAN have pretty bad health problems if the breeding is wrong. I've heard of severe hip dysplasia, heart issues, seizures, etc.

#7 ·
IMO if he wants a puppy for a child ( as a Christmas present? ) a furry pup like a Rough or Smooth Coat Collie would be a better first time children's dog. :)

#8 ·
I am not going to lie, Miko is less work than I was anticipating but I would never recommend a northern breed because not all of them are like Miko. When we first got Miko we walked him/ran him for a good 2 hours every day and I think he was happy but also he can lay around and be calm. He has lived in an apartment for about 6 months of his time with us, and honestly he was at his best behavior when he was in the apt. Because we had roomates at our old place he didn't get the constant supervision I would rather have (they would let them out without consulting us). For example the day I moved out I left them in our old room and the guy threw them outside for probably 2 hours and left. No one was home and they were outside unsupervised because he was angry at me for not being there to do a walk through. It is a long story but if I ever see him again I will have a long list of things to scream at him about. Don't you put my dogs in danger because you have an issue with ME.

*rant over* anywho Miko does have a lot of energy but I would say that the major concern with being in an apt with a northern breed is them being loud. Remind him that his neighbors may not be happy to be woken up by the wooing.

#10 · (Edited)
They probably advise him against an adult dog because most of them (or all? if he is going through a rescue) may not have been conditioned to a small child. Malamutes are known to be terrible with children. They're just not a breed of dog you should get if you have a small/youngish child. This being a large reason why I didn't get a Malamute. I have a young (6 years old) nephew who isn't around that often - but is around often enough (once or twice every few months). But not around to where I could condition the puppy to children and would be comfortable with them interacting safely.

If raised WITH a child under CONSTANT (and I really do mean absolute 100% constant) supervision - then yes - he/she COULD be a happy well adjusted family pet that does great with children.

I found http://www.malamutehealth.org/articles/anemia.htm that site while looking up Malamute health problems - you may want to share it with your friend.

If he works a lot - a northern breed is more likely going to annoy him than motivate him (which in my opinion is an absolutely terrible reason to get a dog - especially a northern breed). IMO you need to be motivated for yourself to do things - not try and have something else to motivate you. I can foresee this leading to a very destructive Malamute.
And they can work out in an apartment setting - but exercise and multiple exercise and training is an absolute must every day.

Bella isn't a Malamute - so she's not huge - but she does require quite a bit of working. For her first 4 months with us - she went on two or three walks (average of about two most days morning/evening) a day about 2 miles each (if it wasn't too hot) and got several training sessions a day. She has a great off switch in doors and can go a few days if she has to without a walk now but you can absolutely notice when it's been more than two days and she hasn't been out. I also started biking with her which helped out immensely. She weighs about 40 pounds less than what a Malamute will. If she was a Malamute I'd have to work her a lot more.

#11 ·
I mentionned to him a lot the fact he should never leave his little girl alone with the dog, not even for a minute...

It sounds like a recipe for disaster. He's not getting the dog for the right reasons (basically, his daughter wants one and he needs a motivator to start exercising) and he's not getting the best breed to fit his needs. I just hope it'll turn out a happy story anyway. I'm mostly thinking it'll be yet another puppy in a shelter in a few weeks.

At least, he was happy I gave him advice instead of getting offended and defensive. He was actually glad I was taking the well being of his family at heart and asked if he could ask me all his questions once the dog would be there.

At least there's that.

#12 ·
You're taking this a lot better than I am and I have nothing to do with the situation xD!

I guess because I have a fondness for them that I take things like this to heart.

Hopefully everything works out for him, his family and for you! You could always start teaching the dog to pull the sled with dexter!

#17 ·
To tell you the truth I wouldn't consider Malamute the worst first dog. I am not sure where you guys are getting that Mal's are so high energy and need lots of work. I have been around both quite a bit and the energy level between a Sibe and Malamute is not even close. The bored and super high energy is much more with the Siberian Husky.

Obviously it is possible for the Mal to be extreme high energy and destructive. I just think the biggest worry with him having a Mal. Is the kids aspect and the amount of fur they shed when blowing coat. It is all fun and games to talk about how you could handle the blowing of the coat, and that exact reason is why I could never have a Mal for myself.

#21 · (Edited)
From a pretty reputable breeder of show Malamutes (The same breeder I looked at going to before I got my Siberian):

"Alaskan Malamutes require a long-term commitment to obedience, activity, exercise and entertainment... their unique character, intelligence and energy level can frustrate you, will undoubtedly entertain you, and can bring you great joy (when they're happy!) or great grief (when they're not!)."

"They absolutely need a securely fenced yard! Alaskan Malamutes will roam due to their hunting instincts.... even if left in an unsecured for a few minutes! Alaskan Malamutes are commonly known to injure or kill other small pets, such as cats, birds, rabbits, mice, rats, etc., simply due to their strong natural hunting instinct."

"Alaskan Malamutes can be very destructive if left unattended . They are NOT recommended as apartment or condo dogs. "

"They need exercise and outdoor activity, and are usually too loud for such high-density living. They need room to run; leash walking does not satisfy their energy. Unless your schedule permits many hours at home and a lot of outdoor activity this is not the dog for you. MANY rescues come from apartments, condos, or homes where the owners work away from the home for long periods of time. Please remember... Rescue is very busy with displaced mals because MANY PEOPLE UNDERESTIMATE LIFE WITH A Alaskan Malamutes."

(And you were wondering where we say they require so much exercise and are so high energy?)

"A sunny disposition. Their activity level is high and they demand daily both a physical & mental workout. A Malamute will insist on having a part in all family activities demanding a lot of attention.They can be dog aggressive and extremely predatory. Pack oriented, try to establish and test the pack order. Do best when included in the family rather than shut outside away from the rest of the "pack. "Virtually always extend a tail-wagging, face-licking welcome to strangers. "

Just in case they didn't mention it - Malamutes are a high energy breed.

Also;

"Most mals love kids. They are not, however, a child’s pet. Mals are just “too much dog” for a child to handle. Start early, and have your children do as many different training exercises with the dog as possible, being sure to choose only exercises which the child can complete successfully. Young children must never be left unsupervised with any puppy or dog — yours or anyone else’s! In spite of the child’s and dog’s affection for each other, it still takes a lot of learning on both sides for them to understand how to behave towards each other. The vast majority of problems involving children and dogs are a result of children behaving like children, dogs behaving like dogs, and parents or other responsible adults failing to provide proper supervision and education."

"Since they are pack oriented, Malamutes are generally not "one-man" dogs. They are an extremely intelligent breed that can be very stubborn and easily bored. They are not typically recommended to a first-time dog owner as mistakes are easy to make and sometimes hard to correct unless you really know what you are doing. They can be a challenge to train, due to their stubbornness. It is said that to teach a Malamute to do something once or twice is very easy, because they are quite intelligent and quickly learn new tasks. To get them to repeatedly do something over and over again is much more challenging, due to their stubbornness and the fact that they become easily bored. This trait is quite common in all of the northern breeds. Many Malamutes end up in the pound and even destroyed because an owner fell in love with the cute puppy but could not control the large, stubborn, powerful adult.
"

Also, Zoopie, some things to pass onto your friend.

(And before I get flack for posting something about "pack" animals - sled dog breeds ARE pack animals.)

#18 ·
He needs a freakin personal trainer not a malamute and his kid needs a labrador. People like this annoy me, maybe it's the fact that it's 3am so i have no patience but seriously who gets a dog like that for a kid's first dog and an apartment. ugh it hits a nerve.

#19 ·
I think a Lab would be almost as big a disaster (minus the high prey drive). Labs are insane until they're 3 years old. And the chewing! Maybe a Shih Tzu or a Maltese. Possibly a Rough Collie if he wanted a big dog.

#22 ·
I am sorry if what I said came off as somewhat rude or you took offence. I was not trying to stir up a big debate. I have been around quite a few sled dog kennels. I can honestly say from my experience that everything you said is totally true. I am also saying that for the most part a Siberian Husky will be a lot more work than a Mal. They have everything the Mal has in a smaller more energetic body.
I misread the OP and I thought the guy was looking for an alaskan breed and I was going to the lesser of two evils for a first dog. I totally agree with everything you said in those quotes Niraya. They are a high energy breed generally, but there are different levels of high energy. All the ones I have been around had a great off switch. While the huskies would be running the sleds for the whole day and come back with just the same fervour they left with.

#23 ·
Internet is internet :D sometimes it is hard to understand a person's meaning through text alone! I didn't take offense per say - I just like people who are really looking into these breeds to be over prepared for the work ahead than to end up with another Siberian or Malamute in a rescue or shelter.

I posted what I did because I love both breeds. I completely understand the difference between the two, also. As like you said, A Siberian is everything a Malamute is in a much smaller package.

Malamutes are the traditional freight dog. They're bigger, heavier boned and meant to pull rather large and heavy loads over distances. Where the Siberian's are smaller - they're meant to pull lighter loads over even longer distances and they're just meant to keep going - like the energizer bunny! That's what the Chukchi people bred the dogs to be and to do.

While I completely agree you were in the right by saying they may be/are the lesser of two evils between the two breeds - I also feel that it is important to never underplay just how much work they really are and while the energy levels of the Siberian and the Malamute are different - even though they are both "high energy"- like you said. People underestimate just how "high" that "high energy" really means. If that makes sense.

Though, I know once someone sets their mind on something they are hard to sway - I don't much expect anything I say to change Zoopie's friends mind. But it's better to let someone know the worst possible scenarios and situations that they'll encounter - and let them decide based on that whether or not they can truly handle the breed and they'll find out all of the amazingly great qualities on their own - rather than telling them (in my case for a Siberian); They're the most beautiful dogs! Mine is really great in the house! She doesn't chew things and she doesn't go all crazy if she hasn't been walked for a day!
Now - people know how much time I spend everyday working my Siberian and training her. Because of that she IS great in the house and has an EXCELLENT off switch (She's asleep on the bed right now) because I worked with her so much. Now if I just told someone flat out all of the great qualities she has - they'd immediately go out and get one ( I mean, really, who wouldn't? They are absolutely stunning and beautiful! [biased]) without realizing how much work I actually did with her and continue to still do to this day. I'd end up receiving a call I'm sure not in the so distant future raging at me about how terribly behaved their Siberian is I'm sure! :D

#24 ·
I suppose it is more the dog in the breed than the breed in the dog. When I got my dog Rhodesian Ridgeback mix everyone kept saying RR's are to much energy you are not going to be able to handle it. I met a trainer who told me 3 hours of off leash walking is the only way they could live a normal life.
Well now here I am a year later with my dog laying at my feet tuckered out from one hour off leash walk this morning. Before getting her I was practically training for the dog doing 10km runs in 40 mins. I literally thought I was going to have to run a marathon every morning by the sounds of the people. I couldn't be happier for people telling me all this because I expected crazy and when I got my high energy dog I thought I had hit the lottery. No marathons for me a 5km jog is more than sufficient for my pups.
So in reality what your saying Niraya will dissuade the weak and only help with having a puppy.

#25 · (Edited)
I totally understand what you mean about preparing for marathons! xD

I did the same when we got our Siberian - I really do know that not every Siberian is like her. The biggest generalization about Siberian's that I have noticed is that almost every Siberian owner will say the same thing; Their great indoors - but once they get outside they're crazy! (That's generally speaking you have a well mannered Siberian that is somewhat trained and exercised regularly). She is just that. She loves to lay around inside! On the couch, under someones feet, by the backdoor in the sun - wherever! but once she's outside - everything is run, run, run!

And that's really all I try to achieve. I'm not saying no one other than myself should ever have a Siberian (or Malamute)! But as someone who cares immensely for the well being of the two breeds(Siberian's more so - as I've done more research and own one), and the people who are considering becoming involved with them by getting one - I feel it's very important to educate them in some manner or way and prepare them for the worst. Some people don't like that I will basically tell you every bad quality/characteristic about the breed with little or no good qualities. The way I see it - I have the breed - I know all of the great qualities that comes with owning one. I discovered them on my own - knowing full well what I might be getting into by doing my own research and knowing all of the bad and terrible things that MIGHT happen. And took the plunge. If you're that set on getting one knowing the risks that accompany the breed - then I did my job and hope that I educated someone enough that the dog they get will be happy and live it's life with that person and that that person will be just as happy with their pet and they'll soon discover all of the great qualities about the breeds that I have come to love in my own!

#26 ·
Thanks for all the info, guys.

As I own a nordic breed, I agree they require a lot of work and love to be happy. As a not-totally-acting-like-a-nordic-breed-dog owner, I also know they can make amazing companions. I really do mostly worry because of the young kid in the household (and because I know my friend is already exhausted and might not be up to the task after a week or two). Hopefully, he falls upon an easy loving dog (there are good and bad apples in every breed after all). Since he's dead set on this puppy, I guess time will tell.

#27 ·
Wow call me crazy but I lived in an apartment with a malamute puppy. My malamute was never destructive. To be honest the energy drive is more high with an husky. To be honest malamutes can either be very lazy or very active. I do love my malamute to death. How I understand they aren't for everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.