Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my five-year-old female dog Akita. She's a mixed breed.

I did a lot of research on what breeds might be in her and I have some guesses.... but first, I'd like you to make your guess. Then we can compare :)

I would really appreciate it if you took your time and helped me out a bit. Since there are so many experienced dog owners around here, I thought you might recognize some breeds...
well, anyway, I'm looking forward to your suggestions!

here are the pics (I'm really sorry if they are too big... I tried to make them smaller, but I guess that's not small enough, sry!! :( )

Thank you very much in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
What a cutie! I would agree that Australian Shepherd is a good guess. Her face looks like my childhood dog's face...we thougth she might have had some border collie in her, but she was a mix as well.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I can see aussie also.

I keep thinking I see a little golden retriever in her too. Maybe?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off, thank you very much for your replies!
I forgot to say she's medium-sized (22 inches).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees Aussie in her. I guess Aussie should be pretty certain now since she also has a lot of its character traits:
She's highly intelligent, but because of that often tried to outsmart me. As a puppy, she was a landshark and nothing worked - she just kept biting and nipping you, even refusing alternatives like bones and toys. I remember reading a thread about Aussies (here on dogforums.com) where a lot of Aussie owners stated this landshark-being was typical of these dogs.
Other than that, she is also reserved with strangers and a good guarddog.

(But I know other dog breeds might be like that, too.)

@Sibe
Yeah, especially the ears remind me of a Golden Retriever... but I'm not sure myself.

@ Charis

I'm surprised you said hound and spaniel. This had me thinking of her mother: I got Akita as a puppy and I could see the mother and her siblings. Father unknown, though.
Her mom was claimed to be a Golden Retriever/German Shepherd mix if I recall correctly, but she looked more like an Irish Setter or a Munsterlander (but I was rather unexperienced with dog breeds five years ago so I'm not sure - Akita was my first dog).
Akita's mom was also taller, probably between 24 and 25 inches.
And I remember her cololur to be saddle-tan with brindle.

The siblings were all black and white and short-haired except for a sister of Akita's who looked just like her.

Anyway, my dog loves water and a strange habit of hers is to run after a stone you threw and if necessary, dive to get and retrieve it.
So when I'm about to throw a stone, she stands totally still and lifts a front paw. This always reminds me of pointing breeds.
Or am I just exaggerating and other non-hounds do that too?
However, she doesn't hunt at all, not even ducks when they're near.
When going for a walk with her in the woods, she never strays and keeps looking back to me.

Does that make sense?

Hehe, I'm probably thinking too much about what breeds my dog is, but I just love to keep small things in mind and try to compare them to a dog breed.
Don't get me wrong: In the end, it doesn't matter at all what's in her because I just adore her the way she is. :)

One more thing:
Do you think I'm stupid to think that there's some German Shepherd in her because of her colour (saddle-tan)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts