Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
She produced a Chocolate Double Dapple female (I kept for breeding)
A great thing about ethical breeders: They would not have bred two dogs with dapple genes together to produce a double dapple (which can be horrid and I would think as a breeder you would be aware). They also wouldn't breed a double dapple. The one thing I'll agree with you about the AKC being bad is that they would recognize your double dapple as an acceptable pattern. If that is even true, I have only been told and I personally do not breed or have interest in doing so.

So, a good amount of things here are wrong to me and tell me breed registries are the least of your concerns. 1. You don't know how genetics work. 2. Or you do and purposely bred two dapples together to get your double dapple. 3. Your dogs are of unknown backgrounds so you were unaware you even had a dapple. 4. You don't know what DD means and are misinformed about your puppies markings. Or you've mistaken a Piebald for a dapple. In any case, stop breeding and learn genetics. Dachshunds are complicated to me and I don't breed.

This read was merged and recently topped and totally confused me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a great Westy from an independent breeder (family who had two dogs that had a litter). The registration papers are from ACA. I want to register the dog with AKC. Is there any way to do that or am I SOL?

·
Super Moderator
7,333 Posts
This thread is several years old, you will get a much better response if you start a new thread for your question. As for your question, if the parents were not registered with AKC, you can not register the pup with them.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
The time to have done your homework would have been before you bought a puppy. And one of the first things that generally gets learned with homework is that you're not going to get a top quality pup from a high volume pet store, but you are probably going to pay more than you would for a well-bred pup. I don't know about ACA specifically, but there are a number of "paper mill" registries that less than responsible breeders use to avoid the requirements of AKC. Thing is, you have your puppy, you've let go of the money, and unless you are planning to show (or breed) her, registration isn't that important. And if you suspect she came from a less responsible breeder, or her registration is not legitimate, you wouldn't want to breed her anyway. If you want to breed, you'd want to really research the breed and the breeder and make sure that breeder is willing to act as a mentor. Otherwise, enjoy your pet for what she is.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If you are interested in showing in performance events, you can get an AKC number as long as you spay your dog. You can get a PAL number if she is indeed a purebred or you can register her as a mixed breed. Again, she must be spayed either way, but then you could show in agility, rally, obedience, earthdog...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Sorry you feel that way, Raggs.

I have to say that I agree with DA. If you don't show your dogs, you aren't breeding for the right reason.

How do you know your dogs are even on standard?

(btw, you didn't mention whether or not you do show, so I'm assuming you don't)

You sound like a well educated back yard breeder, to me.
I get so sick of "puppy mill" and "backyard breeder" labels. I would rather look at the person and what they are breeding and why they are breeding it. Some are breeding for the right reasons and some are not, and many do some things right, but maybe not everything we'd like. But there is no definition of the above terms. Is any large high volume kennel (no matter how clean, and no matter how much socialization the dogs get) a "puppy mill"? Or does a "puppy mill" require filth and neglect? Is anyone who breeds for something other than conformation champions a "backyard breeder"? How about people who are preserving the breed standard and breeding true working dogs? Should we call them puppy mills and back yard breeders? According to PeTA and H$U$, anyone who breeds is one of the above.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Not true. Any purebred dog is eligible for an ILP. Here's info from the AKC website on this:
http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.[/COLOR]cfm?SEARCH_BUTTON.X=16\&SEARCH_BUTTON.Y=12[/

Let’s say you got a dog with its individual breed registry papers, for example the Australian Shepherd Club of America, you have a purebred dog that should be able to get and ILP number right? Wrong! Your pedigreed dog has a traceable lineage and technically should be registered through "proper" channels. That means you have to try and trace your dogs pedigree back to the point until which you can find AKC registration and then register back down the line until you get your dog registered (that can start getting expensive). Parents, Grandparents etc. on both sides have to have AKC registration. "Enrollment in the Indefinite Listing program is not to be construed as an alternative form of registration, but rather, as a listing so that dogs who are ineligible for AKC registration may participate in AKC Companion and Performance Events." The AKC would find a dog with an ASCA papers eligible to be registered that means no ILP number, and you've just lost $35. The ILP number is for dogs that have no papers whatsoever. Not very nice of them not to mention that fact on the website is it?
Not so. An Aussie who does not have a background of AKC recognition is ineligible for AKC registration. Therefore, dogs without AKC background is indeed for dogs that have no (AKC) papers. Unless they've reopened the registry, they don't care if the dog has ASCA papers (which are the only papers I truly value, though my dogs are also AKC, just to play at their games. (Aussie owner since 1970.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased a gorgeous little 11 week old shiba inu puppy from an Amish man in northern Ohio about a week ago. He gave us an ACA registration paper with his signature on it. I was reading this thread about ACA vs AKC...would it be worth registering him with the ACA or is it as Curbside Prophet suggested, just a crap registry? Why would he have ACA registration papers and not AKC? We are not planning to show him but just wondered if we should get him registered. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I purchased a gorgeous little 11 week old shiba inu puppy from an Amish man in northern Ohio about a week ago. He gave us an ACA registration paper with his signature on it. I was reading this thread about ACA vs AKC...would it be worth registering him with the ACA or is it as Curbside Prophet suggested, just a crap registry? Why would he have ACA registration papers and not AKC? We are not planning to show him but just wondered if we should get him registered. Thanks!!
He's a puppy mill dog. You should have done your research before buying a dog. He can't be AKC because he has a crappy puppy mill breeder that only cares about money. Yes, ACA is a puppy mill registry, and worth absolutely nothing. It's used as a selling point by breeders. People think that a 'registered' puppy is purebred.

So in short, you shouldn't have bought your dog where you bought him, and the papers are worth absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
He's a puppy mill dog. You should have done your research before buying a dog. He can't be AKC because he has a crappy puppy mill breeder that only cares about money. Yes, ACA is a puppy mill registry, and worth absolutely nothing. It's used as a selling point by breeders. People think that a 'registered' puppy is purebred.

So in short, you shouldn't have bought your dog where you bought him, and the papers are worth absolutely nothing.
Thanks, but it's too late it's not like I can or would take him back now. And I really couldn't have done any research as I saw a posting online for shiba pups, with the man's phone number and name and that was it. I contacted him later for his address. But that was really all I could find out about him. And it's not like I didn't know that purchasing from puppy mills is bad. So it's not super helpful that you're chiding me after the fact for not doing something I couldn't do. But thanks for answering my question, I will not register him with the ACA.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
The research she is talking about involves talking to different breeders, researching health, researching the breed, etc. It would have gotten you a better quality puppy most likely. But you have the dog you have and you can love him just the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok my question is why is akc so great? I have a aca and akc t hey had pupsy had DNA test on the litter Wichita asked wherw they was reg threw for some reason I say my aca is the better of the 2 and akc is out to take. It all and the results said purebred by the way akc has just been around longer aca has shows as well maybe. Akc is more about that than aca

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay I really hope there is someone out there who can possibly help me. I recently purchased a beautiful beagle from a high volume pet store. The papers I received with her states that she is registered with the American Canine Association. Can someone tell me or explain to me the difference. I have been doing some research and have found many sites to refer to the ACA as a "bogus registery" if this is so, is there anything I can do? I have payed a great deal of money which I do feel she is worth it ...but honestly if she was bred from a "puppy mill" then isn't there anything to do about this?? And it also states she is microchipped but when I went to register that on the ACA website...it does not work. Imagine that. Please someone Help me!!! I am so upset and confused.
Hi! Here is information on both the ACA and AKC organizations. They are both reputable registries but offer different services. I hope this helps!
The American Kennel Club, Inc. (American Kennel Club) is the oldest and largest dog registry in the United States. The American Canine Association, Inc. (https://www.acainfo.com) is the second largest dog registry in the United States. Both AKC and ACA have dog shows, but AKC has a greater number of dog shows.

As of 04/12/2020, AKC’s standard registration rate for a dog is $37.99. AKC’s dog registration certificates are 3.5-inch (height) x 8.5-inches (width) printed on heavy weight paper. ACA’s standard registration rate for a dog is $19.00. ACA’s dog certificates are 11-inch (height) x 8.5-inches (width) printed on certificate paper with a gold seal.

AKC charges late-penalty fees for dog registrations:
LATE FEE – OVER 6 MONTHS AFTER LITTER REGISTERED $4.99
LATE FEE – OVER 12 MONTHS AFTER LITTER REGISTERED $35.00
LATE FEE – OVER 24 MONTHS AFTER LITTER REGISTERED $65.00
AKC’s late fees can be viewed on Fee Schedule – American Kennel Club.

ACA does not charge customers any late-penalty fees for dog registrations.

AKC charges an additional $10.00 per registration if the customer wishes to add a co-owner to the dog. ACA adds one or more co-owners to a dog free of charge.

AKC’s microchip division for lost & found protection is AKC Reunite (Pet Microchips | Lost Pet Recovery | AKC Reunite). ACA’s microchip division for lost & found protection is MARRS Microchip (ACA's Microchip Animal Rapid Recovery Services (M.A.R.R.S.) - Home Page). AKC charges customers $54.95 for AKC Registration + lifetime AKC Reunite lost & found coverage. ACA charges customers $19.00 for ACA Registration + lifetime ACA MARRS Microchip lost & found coverage. Both AKC and ACA are participating companies with the American Animal Hospital Association (Participating Microchipping and Pet Recovery Services | AAHA Universal Pet Microchip Lookup).

AKC’s standard litter registration fee is $25.00 plus and additional $2.00 fee per puppy in the litter. ACA’s standard litter registration fee is $18.00 with no additional fees for each puppy in the litter.

AKC charges late-penalty fees for litter registrations:
LATE FEE – OVER 12 MONTHS AFTER LITTER REGISTERED $35.00
LATE FEE – OVER 24 MONTHS AFTER LITTER REGISTERED $65.00
AKC’s late fees can be viewed on Fee Schedule – American Kennel Club.

ACA does not charge customers any late-penalty fees for litter registrations.

ACA also includes lost & found tags with their dog registrations free of charge. The ACA tags have their official seal on one side of the tag. On the other side of the tag is says: “I am lost. Please call” and a toll-free 1-800 number along with a unique ID number exclusively for the dog. The 1-800 numbers are answered by live operators 24 hours a day / 7 days a week to reunite the lost dog with the ACA owner. There is no additional annual or lifetime fees for this service. It is included in the initial $19.00 ACA registration fee.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.