Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Before you start judging me how about asking why I know all these things and how long I've been studying dogs. Japanese Spitz and American Eskimo are the same breed. They became so popular in America that they got there name changed. They are still known by both names. If you ever go to a show you'll hear the announcers call them Japanese Spitz and then you'll hear them call them American Eskimos or Eskies. No I don't show my dogs, I have no desire to show them. Breeding a dog for show purposes is the wrong reason. I know several show dogs that have degenerative and genetic teeth problems, liver problems among other health issues. These breeders are still breeding them because they are "show" quality. Just because someone breeds them for show, doesn't mean that they are perfectly healthy. And actually yes knowing over 200 hundered breeds will help a veterinary profession. How many of you can say that you take your dog to a vet that knows every single health risk of the top of their head for every breed? I can't, I don't know one vet that knows that. They always have to look it up. I started studying about dogs when I was 7 years old. In dreams of becoming a veterinarian, a good one, that can actually help people. Like I stated in another post, I groomed a BLACK Shih Tzu Poodle mix that the vet said was a purebred Maltese.

I'd suggest for you people who are jumping on my back questioning me about everything. If I didn't know it, I wouldn't post it. If I don't know something I will tell someone to consult their vet or something else, or I wouldn't post at all. I'm not a guesser. No I don't know every little thing about dogs, but I bet I know a lot more than any of you do. So next time you start criticizing someone, how about asking them something first, not just jumping to conclusions if they're stupid or not.

And btw, there are over 300 hundred dog breeds in the world. No they aren't all AKC known, but then it took 2 breeders years for the King Charles Spaniel to be recognized by the AKC. They take their time with recognizing breeds, they don't just throw them all on a list and call it good.

Tell me, how many of you can tell me about the Billy? Or have none of you heard of that breed? Don't believe me, look it up.
American Eskimo Dog and Japanese Spitz are not the same breed.

NO reputable breeder would just breed the same pair of dogs over and over. You're not showing, are you involved in ANY groups or activities? Or just obsessed with cute fluffy puppies and memorizing random facts?

Stop spewing stuff about Eskies and STOP breeding them. You're pissing off my sweet Eskie.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Like I said above I know over 200 breeds, their standards, their health risks and diseases they are prone to, that's why I'm studying to become a vet, because I don't know one vet that know as much about breeds as I do...
ROFLMAO Oh, thanks for the laugh this morning. As for the rest...you sound like any other BYB'r using their dogs' reproductive organs to satiate their ego and trying to justify yourself by stringing together a bunch of words that really say nothing. Because actions speak louder than words.

I have to disagree with the above posters on some points. One of the big problems with pet shop puppies is that many of them are AKC registered, and they still come from puppymills. But to the OP, all the other registries are worse. The AKC at least does refuse to register the dogs of breeders that have broken their rules, few as they are. The other registries don't care. And some pet shops even try to fool the public by issuing "Pet-a-gree" papers that they made up with their own graphics program on their own computer. And people fall for this. And there's nothing that can be done because it's not illegal - and neither are puppymills.

So, to the OP, here's my question to you -- with all the education that humane societies, shelters, rescues, and other animal activists are constantly trying to get out to the public, why didn't you get the message? You could really help a lot by explaining how we missed the boat with you. Even Dateline on television ran some puppymill/pet shop exposes. And what the consensus is, is that the only way to stop it is to stop buying dogs from pet stores. So how are we going to stop that pet shop traffic if you, and people like you, aren't hearing our message? Please help us.

As for your dog - love it and cherish it, and say a prayer for it's mama who is still in a cage somewhere, pumping out puppies so that those pet shop cages will be filled. Though puppymills are all over the country, a predominant amount of them are in the midwest and northeast. Think of her when the weather is freezing, because she's outside in a wire cage that cause her feet to hurt. Be sure to give your puppy nice toys, and think about his mama who will never have any. Be sure to give him a soft bed, and/or a blanket, because she'll never have that either. And be sure to give him good food, because the food she gets is the cheapest food possible, so it doesn't cut into the breeders profits. And be sure to get him good veterinary care, which is something else she will never have because it just costs more than the breeder thinks she is worth.

And please, please, please, educate yourself and help us pass the word so that the next person doesn't make the same mistake you did. That's the only thing that can be done.
Great post. I'd love it if the OP could answer the (bolded) question. I just don't know how anyone could think buying from a pet store is a good or humane idea.

·
Banned
53 Posts
I only read the op, didn't feel the need to read anything else after that. There is no help you can recieve, your first problem is you went to a pet store to get your puppy. Did you see it's parents, where it lived, or its medical history? Did you even think to ask? You never wondered where those puppies came from or how that got to the store? Are you aware of the conditions dogs are forced to live through in puppy mills? I'm pretty sure after 3 pages by now you do, somebody had to of informed you of your ill advised decision. It is because people like you are willing to buy puppies from unknown backgrounds that pet stores continue to exploit dogs.

With that said, she is your dog now and she'll grow to love you...assuming she doesnt have some behavorial issues. But uh, I'm pretty sure you can work through it should such situations arise. Enjoy your puppy :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
all great post, but what so you guys think of Continental Kennel Club CKC I have a rottweiler that is CKC register after reading all of this I am a little concerned of how good CKC is

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I just wanted to say that I was shocked & appalled at the misinformation being put forth in this thread!...The ignorance & willingness to show it amazes me!:eek:
Ty to the few of you (you know who you are) for correcting the ignorance with factual information!:)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Sorry you feel that way, Raggs.

I have to say that I agree with DA. If you don't show your dogs, you aren't breeding for the right reason.

How do you know your dogs are even on standard?

(btw, you didn't mention whether or not you do show, so I'm assuming you don't)

You sound like a well educated back yard breeder, to me.
I agree with both you guys. If one doesn't show, complete in agility, rally, herding, protection work, etc. Then their dogs have no reason to be bred. What is the goal of breeding the dog if it isn't conformationally correct or can do work that it was bred to do? It's one or the other really. Everyone else that breeds I consider BYBs unless they can explain to me why they are breeding and how it betters the breed.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I just have to say that this thread is 8 months old...

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
TJ finds the BEST thread pics EVER!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Anyone know how the 'Top 10 Threads' are determined? I assume that is why this keeps getting resurrected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread hasn't been active for some time, but I feel I need to reply. I breed Dachshunds, and I use to register all my dogs and puppies with the AKC. However, I have switched all of them over to ACA registration. The reasons I like the American Canine Association so much better than the American Kennel Club is that the ACA promotes health and companionship over beauty and working ability. The ACA keeps health records of all dogs, including eyes, knees, heart, hips, elbows, etc. The AKC does not. The ACA is much friendlier, still promotes dog shows and seminars, still promotes responsible breeding, etc. I disagree that puppymill dogs are more likely to be registered with the ACA. The only thing that makes AKC registration harder is that a dog that has produced or sired over 7 litters must be DNA'd with the AKC. The ACA does not do this. However, it is not hard to DNA a dog. I've done this before with several of my males, when I registered with the AKC. They send you a kit, you collect a sample of DNA, and send it back in. Then your dog can breed as much as you want it to. The ACA is more for dogs bred to be pets, but many people show with the ACA, too. I show, go to seminars, do extensive health testing, and only breed dogs with the best temperament. The AKC is all about looks. As long as a dog is up to the breed standard, a lot of AKC breeders do not bother to health test. When I was purchasing my first stud dog, I went to a breeder that was highly recomended by the Dachshunds Club of America. However, she did not even provide health guarentees for her puppies! Her reason was that many genetic conditions are not genetic, and are caused by how a dog is fed, raised, exercised, etc. While I tend to agree with this on a very limited number of health concerns, I found this to be terribly suspicious. I put health over breed standard any day. A very healthy dog that diverts from breed standard slightly, can still be bred.

For example, one of my prized females, now retired and a couch dog, was a black brindle piebald. She is definately a one of a kind color. This would be unacceptable in the show ring, but she passed her dental, eye, heart, thyroid, vWD, liver, kidney, hip, elbow, and knee certification (all of which I require from all of my dogs before breeding). So, I bred four litters from her. She produced a Chocolate Double Dapple female (I kept for breeding), and a fawn piebald female (which I also kept for breeding). Both females passed all health examinations and, other than color, fit the breed standard perfectly. All of these females would have been considered unfit for breeding by the AKC and could not have been shown.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
The ACA keeps health records of all dogs, including eyes, knees, heart, hips, elbows, etc. The AKC does not.
That's what OFA is for (and OFA numbers are listed on AKC pedigrees)

the ACA promotes health and companionship over beauty and working ability.
Working ability and proper structure are still mportant in many breeds.

The AKC is all about looks.
Bologna

I went to a breeder that was highly recomended by the Dachshunds Club of America.
Directly from the DCA:
"The Dachshund Club of America makes no representations or warranties regarding the health of any animals or services provided by its members and has no liability to any one who purchases an animal or services from its members."

AKA, just because they're DCA members doesn't mean they're good breeders.

other than color, fit the breed standard perfectly
Did anybody actually evaluate them?

·
Registered
249 Posts
First of all, I have to say to JelloJess that I'm very sorry you were dupped in this manner.

That being said, I have to ask (and I apologize if I missed it somewhere), why did you pay big bucks for this dog? Were you planning to show or breed?

Have you actually had the alleged microchip scanned and seen the number come up on the scanner? Is there really even a microchip in the dog or is there just a number on the paperwork?

Sadly, with the computer age, just about anything can be printed up to look legit and the scammers usually come up with names or initials which either sound legit and/or are close enough to the real deal that people don't catch it. This does not always come from the pet shop owner. They can be taken in, and/or don't care enough to check.

Years ago I was passing a large pet shop in what qualifies for downtown here and saw a littler of Queensland puppies in a x-pen in the middle of the store.
I went in pretending to be a ditzy customer, ooohhhing and ahhhing over the puppies. The owner came over and told me about the wonderful woman who breeds them and gave me the song 'n dance about their registry. I let him ramble on a while and then I let him have it with both barrels.

Needless to say, he was pretty shocked and upset. He gave the lady $200 for the 6 puppies and she assured him he could sell the males for $200 and the females for $250 because they were "registered". Fortunately, he was a good guy (naive, into fish and always wanted to have a fish/pet store), so he signed the pups over to Rescue and never had a puppy or kitten for sale in the store again, having learned a pretty inexpensive lesson.

The other good news which came out of this is he worked with Rescue and AC and called her about getting more pups, so we were able to bust her puppy mill operation. She did go to jail, not for operating a puppy mill but for fradulent business and non-payment of taxes.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I know this thread hasn't been active for some time, but I feel I need to reply. I breed Dachshunds, and I use to register all my dogs and puppies with the AKC. However, I have switched all of them over to ACA registration. The reasons I like the American Canine Association so much better than the American Kennel Club is that the ACA promotes health and companionship over beauty and working ability. The ACA keeps health records of all dogs, including eyes, knees, heart, hips, elbows, etc. The AKC does not. The ACA is much friendlier, still promotes dog shows and seminars, still promotes responsible breeding, etc. I disagree that puppymill dogs are more likely to be registered with the ACA. The only thing that makes AKC registration harder is that a dog that has produced or sired over 7 litters must be DNA'd with the AKC. The ACA does not do this. However, it is not hard to DNA a dog. I've done this before with several of my males, when I registered with the AKC. They send you a kit, you collect a sample of DNA, and send it back in. Then your dog can breed as much as you want it to. The ACA is more for dogs bred to be pets, but many people show with the ACA, too. I show, go to seminars, do extensive health testing, and only breed dogs with the best temperament. The AKC is all about looks. As long as a dog is up to the breed standard, a lot of AKC breeders do not bother to health test. When I was purchasing my first stud dog, I went to a breeder that was highly recomended by the Dachshunds Club of America. However, she did not even provide health guarentees for her puppies! Her reason was that many genetic conditions are not genetic, and are caused by how a dog is fed, raised, exercised, etc. While I tend to agree with this on a very limited number of health concerns, I found this to be terribly suspicious. I put health over breed standard any day. A very healthy dog that diverts from breed standard slightly, can still be bred.

For example, one of my prized females, now retired and a couch dog, was a black brindle piebald. She is definately a one of a kind color. This would be unacceptable in the show ring, but she passed her dental, eye, heart, thyroid, vWD, liver, kidney, hip, elbow, and knee certification (all of which I require from all of my dogs before breeding). So, I bred four litters from her. She produced a Chocolate Double Dapple female (I kept for breeding), and a fawn piebald female (which I also kept for breeding). Both females passed all health examinations and, other than color, fit the breed standard perfectly. All of these females would have been considered unfit for breeding by the AKC and could not have been shown.
Why would you take a hunting breed like your daschunds and breed them for companionship only? The breed is a hunting breed and to change that is to distroy the breed and turn it into something else. The only Daschund breeder I personally know registers her dogs with the AKC, she does earthdog events and also breeds for sound structure with health testing.

The AKC also dose NOT stop you from breeding a dog that is not up to standard which is the same as the ACA. you can breed a pure white daschund with the AKC if you want too you just can't show it.

And WHY!! did your bitch produce a double dapple!!!?? Do you not care about the heath problems can can be suffered by double dapple puppies?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
The reasons I like the American Canine Association so much better than the American Kennel Club is that the ACA promotes health and companionship over beauty and working ability.
And how exactly do they do this? Working ability is also extreemely important in most breeds. There would be no point to having all the different breeds if they were all intended to just be lovely pets. And how is the AKC not promoting health and companionship? Sure they could do better, but you make it sound as if they are doing nothing at all.

The ACA keeps health records of all dogs, including eyes, knees, heart, hips, elbows, etc. The AKC does not.
How would a potenial new owner find out about this health information? Is testing required for every dog before it's bred? is there a minimum passing score that the dogs must meet?

Ever heard of OFA, CHIC or CHF?

The ACA is much friendlier, still promotes dog shows and seminars, still promotes responsible breeding, etc.
How many dog shows do they have? Are they all over the nation or manly in one are? What do they consider responsible breeding and how do they promote it?

The only thing that makes AKC registration harder is that a dog that has produced or sired over 7 litters must be DNA'd with the AKC. The ACA does not do this.
Why not? 7 litters is alot for most dogs. Is it not a good thing for purebreds as a whole to have DNA on frequetly used sires?

All of these females would have been considered unfit for breeding by the AKC and could not have been shown.
Many of the unusal colors have associated health issues that go hand in hand with them, hence why they are dissallowed in the AKC conformation ring. And I don't get how saying your dogs were unfit for AKC yet acceptable for ACA helps prove your point that the ACA is any better. By the way you could have still shown your dogs in the companion and earth dog events. And as long as they were register purbreds you cuold have bred them and registered with AKC.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.