Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
"Ok, let's say this is true - what possible purpose would there be for you to know the standards of 200 breeds? It certainly isn't going to help in the veterinary profession. Wouldn't it be of more use if you concentrated on basic animal care, like dogs needing to be inside with their families, or what common medications (like aspirin) a dog can have? How will knowing if a dog's "stop" meets the standard help in your veterinary career? Seems to me that kind of information would only help if you wanted a career being an AKC judge."

Knows 200 breed standards? Wow! I've gone over the collie standard at least 100 times and I still wouldn't say that I truly know the standard. And now that I'm getting a TFT, I'm starting to read and study both the AKC and UKC standards for that breed. But 200? There aren't 200 breeds in the AKC so she must also be studying standards for UKC breeds? When did she have time to study or work? Amazing.

"And remember, these boards are for learning too. Try it, you might like it. "

You are absolutely right. But I have the feeling that she's still in the know-it-all stage of life. She'll probably get through it eventually. Most of us do. LOL:)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Knows 200 breed standards? Wow! I've gone over the collie standard at least 100 times and I still wouldn't say that I truly know the standard. And now that I'm getting a TFT, I'm starting to read and study both the AKC and UKC standards for that breed. But 200? There aren't 200 breeds in the AKC so she must also be studying standards for UKC breeds? When did she have time to study or work? Amazing.

"And remember, these boards are for learning too. Try it, you might like it. "

You are absolutely right. But I have the feeling that she's still in the know-it-all stage of life. She'll probably get through it eventually. Most of us do. LOL:)
I wondered about that 200 thing, but I was too lazy to look up the current count. :) But I think there might be something else going on here. The claim is s/he owns two breeding "eskies" but I ran across a post in the thread asking what kind of dog everyone has, and s/he said s/he had a lab/akita mix and 2 Japanese Spitz. Nothing about American Eskimo in that post at all. And though the Japanese Spitz and the American Eskimo look similar, it would be like calling a Collie and a Shetland Sheepdog the same breed. Maybe s/he doesn't know the difference? Odd for someone who KNOWS 200 breed standards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank all of you! Regardless she is a beautiful and healthy little girl and I love her all the same ... maybe a little more just knowing she could have possibly came from such horrible conditions! So thank you guys once again...you all have given me some great advice and suggestions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the ACK is anything like the CKC it is a non-profit organization that promotes that buying a puppy from a responsible breed who has found out that the only way to spread the gospel about their particular breed is to put up with the bureaucracy and red tape of an organization that holds a monopoly on the dog community. And an ILP number is only for rescued dogs, so if you would like to participate in say obedience make sure to lie and say you got your puppy from the SPCA. Good luck with your new addition

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If the ACK is anything like the CKC it is a non-profit organization that promotes that buying a puppy from a responsible breed who has found out that the only way to spread the gospel about their particular breed is to put up with the bureaucracy and red tape of an organization that holds a monopoly on the dog community. And an ILP number is only for rescued dogs, so if you would like to participate in say obedience make sure to lie and say you got your puppy from the SPCA. Good luck with your new addition
Not true. Any purebred dog is eligible for an ILP. Here's info from the AKC website on this:
http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.cfm?SEARCH_BUTTON.X=16\&SEARCH_BUTTON.Y=12

·
Registered
149 Posts
Before you start judging me how about asking why I know all these things and how long I've been studying dogs. Japanese Spitz and American Eskimo are the same breed. They became so popular in America that they got there name changed. They are still known by both names. If you ever go to a show you'll hear the announcers call them Japanese Spitz and then you'll hear them call them American Eskimos or Eskies. No I don't show my dogs, I have no desire to show them. Breeding a dog for show purposes is the wrong reason. I know several show dogs that have degenerative and genetic teeth problems, liver problems among other health issues. These breeders are still breeding them because they are "show" quality. Just because someone breeds them for show, doesn't mean that they are perfectly healthy. And actually yes knowing over 200 hundered breeds will help a veterinary profession. How many of you can say that you take your dog to a vet that knows every single health risk of the top of their head for every breed? I can't, I don't know one vet that knows that. They always have to look it up. I started studying about dogs when I was 7 years old. In dreams of becoming a veterinarian, a good one, that can actually help people. Like I stated in another post, I groomed a BLACK Shih Tzu Poodle mix that the vet said was a purebred Maltese.

I'd suggest for you people who are jumping on my back questioning me about everything. If I didn't know it, I wouldn't post it. If I don't know something I will tell someone to consult their vet or something else, or I wouldn't post at all. I'm not a guesser. No I don't know every little thing about dogs, but I bet I know a lot more than any of you do. So next time you start criticizing someone, how about asking them something first, not just jumping to conclusions if they're stupid or not.

And btw, there are over 300 hundred dog breeds in the world. No they aren't all AKC known, but then it took 2 breeders years for the King Charles Spaniel to be recognized by the AKC. They take their time with recognizing breeds, they don't just throw them all on a list and call it good.

Tell me, how many of you can tell me about the Billy? Or have none of you heard of that breed? Don't believe me, look it up.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Let's stick with the subject. How many sizes of American Eskimo are there? How many sizes of Japanese Spitz are there? Why, if they are the same breed, is the number not the same?

And no one suggested that it might not be valuable for a vet to know the breeds and the diseases they are prone to, though being able to look it up would still be good because new diseases crop up in dogs all the time, especially puppymilled dogs.

What was suggested was that it is of no value for a vet to know the breed standards, of which you said you knew 200. I'm curious about where the extra 50 or so that are not AKC breeds, get their standards. So please explain what use it is for a vet to know those standards, as intricate as they are. Do you not realize that most dogs are not bred to standard, and the average purebred that is brought into a vet is going to show little resemblance to the standard? So what good can it do? Will you recognize a puppymilled purebred as a purebred when they are so far from the standard? Will you assume that an oversized dog is not purebred because it is so different from the standard?

And btw, there are actually over 500 dog breeds in the world, so your claim of over 300 is a little low, but then you're not a guesser, right? You also might want to give your vet a break since some people have produced black maltese. Maybe you should read about that too? http://www.foxstonemaltese.com/maltese_breed_history.htm

I await to know more about your expertise with American Eskimo and Japanese Spitz, because I can only find information where they may have common ancestors, but they are different breeds with different countries of origins.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not true. Any purebred dog is eligible for an ILP. Here's info from the AKC website on this:
http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.[/COLOR]cfm?SEARCH_BUTTON.X=16\&SEARCH_BUTTON.Y=12[/

Let’s say you got a dog with its individual breed registry papers, for example the Australian Shepherd Club of America, you have a purebred dog that should be able to get and ILP number right? Wrong! Your pedigreed dog has a traceable lineage and technically should be registered through "proper" channels. That means you have to try and trace your dogs pedigree back to the point until which you can find AKC registration and then register back down the line until you get your dog registered (that can start getting expensive). Parents, Grandparents etc. on both sides have to have AKC registration. "Enrollment in the Indefinite Listing program is not to be construed as an alternative form of registration, but rather, as a listing so that dogs who are ineligible for AKC registration may participate in AKC Companion and Performance Events." The AKC would find a dog with an ASCA papers eligible to be registered that means no ILP number, and you've just lost $35. The ILP number is for dogs that have no papers whatsoever. Not very nice of them not to mention that fact on the website is it?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Miranda, you are correct in stating that the ILP is for dogs that are ineligible for AKC registration. But, this would include dogs that are registered with registries, such as working dog registries and individual breed registries where, for some reason, the dog could not be cross registered (i.e. the litter was not AKC registered). In such a case, the dog would not be eligible for full AKC registration and would be eligible for an ILP.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Sorry, I misspoke. What I should have said was that any purebred is eligible for an ILP IF his/her breed is recognized by the AKC. The North American Whatchamacallit is not going to be registerable no matter how pure he is.

Miranda, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying (other than the above).

·
Registered
11 Posts
What I'm saying is that if the dog has a tracible pedigree the AKC wants it registered through the regular channels, that means with a litter and through a breeder, then you can get full registration. They will not give you an ILP number if you can trace the pedigree through a breed registry, those dogs technically are able to get full registration (because they have a pedigree) and will not be granted an ILP number. I know it doesn't make sense but that is how it works. I would love to hear that things have changed but I have recently had a lot of experience with this whole (very frustrating) process.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I believe it's as simple as this. If the dog you want to register is an AKC registered breed and the original breeder registered the litter with the AKC, then the dog would have to be registered via the regular registration process either full or limited registration depending on how the breeder registered the litter. But, if the dog is a recognized AKC breed and either the breeder never registered the litter or the dog's history cannot be traced, then the dog would be eligible for an ILP number as long as it met the criteria for one.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What I'm saying is that if the dog has a tracible pedigree the AKC wants it registered through the regular channels, that means with a litter and through a breeder, then you can get full registration. They will not give you an ILP number if you can trace the pedigree through a breed registry, those dogs technically are able to get full registration (because they have a pedigree) and will not be granted an ILP number. I know it doesn't make sense but that is how it works. I would love to hear that things have changed but I have recently had a lot of experience with this whole (very frustrating) process.
Your post confused me. I've been trying to make sense of it.

So...if your dog is not registered with the AKC, as long as you can trace back the parents, you can still register it?

How many generations back would that have to be? For example, I know that both mom and dad have to be registered before a pup can be, so wouldn't have to get the parents registered too? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

And I think a dog would have to be spayed before the AKC would grant then an ILP. Now, that's just what I've heard...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your post confused me. I've been trying to make sense of it.

So...if your dog is not registered with the AKC, as long as you can trace back the parents, you can still register it?

How many generations back would that have to be? For example, I know that both mom and dad have to be registered before a pup can be, so wouldn't have to get the parents registered too? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

And I think a dog would have to be spayed before the AKC would grant then an ILP. Now, that's just what I've heard...
Let me give you a scenario. You have purchased an Australian Shepherd puppy from a breeder whole registers her dogs through ASCA. The father of your dog has dual membership with both AKC and ASCA and the mother has only ASCA papers. You later you decide that you would like to participate in obedince trials, so naturally you apply for an ILP number, when you hear back about your number you ar told that: "Regrettably we are unable to comply with your request, as you have indicated that the sire and dam are registered with the Australian Sheperd Club of America. Please be advised that the intention of the ILP number program was to allow rescued dogs of a recoginzed breeds to compete in AKC events and not to be treated as an alternate form of registration for dogs represented and sold as purebreds. In accordance with the Animal Pedigree Act, if a dog is represented as a pure bred then a breeder is obligated to provide registration at no additional cost to the new owner and a breeder is in violation by selling without." Now you have found out that you do not actually own a purebred dog in the AKC's eyes. So you phone the AKC and ask how you can get around this road block and they will tell you since the father is AKC registered you can get the mother of the litter registered and apply by the normal means. But the mothers parents are not AKC registered so now what? The AKC will tell you to register them too but please keep in mind that there is a six year limit on back registration after the dog is born. Then you get a hold of the Board of Director member for you zone and they tell you that your current dog will not be able to be considered for an ILP number if you would like to persue obedience try getting another dog, "they do better in twos."

·
Registered
1 Posts
well um im not sure what the difference is of aca and akc but it sounds like you were ripped off you ethier need to sue or go to the manager or the owner and have a very serious talk about how you love your dog and she's worth the money but you need to tell him that what is employer did and then you might have your way but if you don't you will still have the dog to go home to and he/she will be there for you will love you and won't care how much you spent he/she will just be glad it u that bought her and not some whack job that is abusing her just think of it that way!!!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
My beagle puppy is UKC and AKC registered. The only difference really is the
AKC is strict allowing ONLY purebreds to be registered with UKC you never know what is in your dog. It is too easy to a dog registered with the UKC. The AKC also holds more events. Most events are for purebreds only :( but some mixed breeds can participate in, I think it varies by region though. We don't have a big dog community here, so not many AKC events are held at all. There is really nothing you can do at this point. Papers don't make your dog special or better. Just love your dog papers or not! You probably did get ripped off though. I can tell you my puppy was only $25 but my uncle raised her litter so I got a little off :). If you got her from a petstore then you definitely paid alot more than you would've at a breeder's. You learn from mistakes though! At least you got her before another puppy mill did, who knows what you saved her from!:D

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
American Eskimo and Japanese Spitz are NOT the same breeds. ABSOLUTELY not. There was some Japanese Spitz used in the development of the modern AED, along with Keeshond, Pomeranian, and (mostly) white German Spitz of all sizes.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
And an ILP number is only for rescued dogs, so if you would like to participate in say obedience make sure to lie and say you got your puppy from the SPCA.
I have to disagree with this. Any dog that a person feels is a purebreed can submit for an ILP, and the AKC determines whether you get the ILP or not by the pictures you submit, and whether or not they feel it's a purebreed or not. I have an ILP on my Betty, and didn't lie about anything, and didn't say anything about getting her from the SPCA. I'm also going to be registering Chloe here very soon as well, as we are wanting to do Obedience and Rally with her. As for Nell, she was already registered with the ABCA, so we just submitted the paperwork with copies of her ABCA and pics, and she's got her Open Registration, and will be doing Agility, as well as Rally.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
My Australian shepherd Kechara has a three generation pedigree with ASCA and I had to get an ILP on her to participate in Agility, obedience ex. because only her Sire was AKC registered

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.