Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the time limit to register an individual puppy with the AKC?

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
What is the time limit to register an individual puppy with the AKC?
I don't think there is a time limit as long as you have the original paperwork. I do believe there is a late fee after a certain time period.

If you have any questions call AKC customer service. They are very helpful.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there is a time limit as long as you have the original paperwork. I do believe there is a late fee after a certain time period.

If you have any questions call AKC customer service. They are very helpful.
Thanks! I see on their site that you can register a dog at least 24 months after the litter has been registered. So that is good news. She's just turning three so a bit older than 24 months. Late fee is not a problem, I just want her registered so we can go to AKC trials.

I talked to her breeder already and they thought there was a time limit but are looking into it for me. I had a brief panic of 'I'm never going to be able to register her!' a minute ago.

I'll go ahead and contact the AKC.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Thanks! I see on their site that you can register a dog at least 24 months after the litter has been registered. So that is good news. She's just turning three so a bit older than 24 months. Late fee is not a problem, I just want her registered so we can go to AKC trials.

I talked to her breeder already and they thought there was a time limit but are looking into it for me. I had a brief panic of 'I'm never going to be able to register her!' a minute ago.

I'll go ahead and contact the AKC.
I would be VERY surprised if the AKC does not work with you on this. They WANT to register dogs as long as the paperwork is in order and they can be sure it is legitimate.

IF by some odd ball chance they do not, you could always get an ILP on the dog to run trials. Can't do conformation with an ILP but it does not sound like you are going to be doing that.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be VERY surprised if the AKC does not work with you on this. They WANT to register dogs as long as the paperwork is in order and they can be sure it is legitimate.

IF by some odd ball chance they do not, you could always get an ILP on the dog to run trials. Can't do conformation with an ILP but it does not sound like you are going to be doing that.

I hope so! I would think they would want my $95 late registration fee, so I'm hopeful that it will work out well. We are not wanting to do conformation (she is spayed), just agility and obedience. The breeder sold her to me with the option of getting limited registration, not full.

I was a little more hesitant to even think of ILP as a possibility. What is the general thought about ILP'ing a dog from a good/well known breeder? I would have thought that could potentially be taken the wrong way by the breeder, which was not what I want since I would very much like another dog from them in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts