Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-Liberty / Lady Liberty Belle

Other name ideas
-Molly / Mollypop or something with Sweet and Sassy, etc.
-Lynn / Miss Lynn
-Lila / ???
-Aly / ???
-Alia / ???
-Aurora / Little Miss Princess Aurora
-Lacey / Summer Skye White Lace

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Hello everyone!!! Well we officially have our deposit down on our little golden girl! She hasn't been born yet, but it should be happening this week!! So we have a few names we have thought of but we are still so indecisive! We don't have to put a kennel name or litter theme, so we have free ball park! We really need help with the AKC full names though! We know we don't have to have the call name have anything to do with the reg. name but we would like it to be incorporated in some way! She is gonna be a very light cream/white. Her parents have the following in their names "Dewmist Winter Blizzard" and "Sasha May Skye".

Now there is a very good chance she could possibly be born on the Fourth of July, if so we thought it would be cute to incorporate that in her name!!
-Liberty / Lady Liberty Belle

Other name ideas
-Molly / Mollypop or something with Sweet and Sassy, etc.
-Lynn / Miss Lynn
-Lila / ???
-Aly / ???
-Alia / ???
-Aurora / Little Miss Princess Aurora
-Lacey / Summer Skye White Lace

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
From the stuff you put here and the way you seem to be heading.

Aurora In The Winter Skye....

or

Aurora Of The Winter Skye

But I am not a fan of using Aurora as a call name.

Bliss is a synonym for sky... You could call her that.

Or this to me is really cool.

Call her Welken.

wel·kin
noun \ˈwel-kən\
a : the vault of the sky : firmament <the sun of heaven … made the western welkin blush — Shakespeare>
b : the celestial abode of God or the gods : heaven

I am always bound to kennel names in the front. But I like to use pieces of the sire and or dams name.

For example...

My ACD dog is 2xAOM GCh (UKC Ch) Call Me Work N Some Magic - aka Merlin.
Merlin was a Magician or sorcerer depending on the legend. Merlin showed up in stories as early as 1200 AD and over time was portrayed as both.

Work N came from Merlin's paternal Grand Sire which I had MUCH respect for. Olman's Work N Class Man.

Our Lab girl is Tecate's Fly Me To the Moon - aka Keely. Keely Smith Recorded that song before Frank Sinatra did.

Her Mother is GCh Tecate's Moonlight Serenade aka Leigh.
Her sire is Ch Killian's My Ale

So we stayed with the song theme from the mom and stayed with Irish Names for the Call Name, like both the sire and the dam.

Our old ACD Bitch is Ch Call Me My Bling Bling - aka Gemma I did not name her.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Welken is an Odd name... But it comes off the tongue EASY... IMPORTANT to me in training and day to day living with the dog.

And... People will ask you about that name. It gives you the chance to talk about your dog.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi,

I always thought it was nice to take the dogs personality into account. Our recent addition an Irish setter puppy has been registered as "She is not much for damseling"

Though admittedly I have more experience registering cats with the CFA than I do registering dogs. After meeting our cats their registered names just sort of came to us over a week or so.

We have "Evil Foot Eater", "Nothing Suits me like a Suit", "She is so Zazzy", "Something Borrowed, Something Blue", and our newest girl is "Mischief Managed" All with the cattery name in front of them. I do sometimes regret Evil Foot Eater when at a cat show :laugh:

I'd write down your choices but I wouldn't get too attached to any of them until you actually meet the puppy. The perfect name will probably just come out of no where. I am not saying that you won't put thought into it (probably obsessive amounts! I know I do usually) but often times it seems that I end up taking part of something and part of another something and then something I never would have considered and "poof" a name!

Bea

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I like Johnny's suggestions. What about something like Summer Blizzard Bliss - she's born in the summer and it's in the spirit of winter, blizzard is a nod to the sire, and bliss (as a synonym for sky) a nod to the dam.

Definitely take personality into account and live with the name for a few days - especially since you'll have time before bringing her home. Practice calling the name as in, "Puppy, come!" or "Puppy, sit." Is it easy to say? Not embarrassing in any way? Do you feel a connection?

I wish we had done more name planning before getting our puppy; I assumed the breeder would have named him already, so we didn't talk about it. We decided on Tyson (reg. name [kennel] Pluto Killer], but after seeing his personality emerge, I'm starting to wish we had gone with door #2, Dewey (reg. name [kennel] Active Inquiry). And now that we've named him, I can think of tons of names (that I should write them down for future pups).

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Would it be possible for you to get your deposit back? The breeder in question does not seem to be doing any health testing, which is VERY important with golden retrievers (read this, especially A 1, 2, and 3). I understand that you're really excited about getting a puppy, but it's best to go with a breeder who really cares about health and who does the proper screenings on both parents. You may also want to look for someone who shows their dogs, because they will be breeding for amazing structure and temperament. Most good show breeders don't charge much more (and some even charge less) than the less-reputable breeders. Here's a good list of breeders in the area.

("White" golden retrievers like Blizzard are not desirable in the breed ring either, so don't get duped into paying extra for one because it's a "rare" color -- it's rare because it's undesirable.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts