1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple questions about the CGC test -

Test 1: Accepting a friendly stranger
The dog will allow a friendly stranger to approach it and speak to the
handler in a natural, everyday situation.

- I am wondering what reaction the dog is allowed to have? As examples - is the dog allowed to attempt to greet the person or the dog must remain seated beside me?

Test 3: Appearance and grooming
The dog will welcome being groomed and examined and will permit
someone, such as a veterinarian, groomer or friend of the owner, to do so.

- Misty likes to lick the brush - I have no idea why. Do I need to train this out or will her licking the brush be permitted?

Test 8: Reaction to another dog
To demonstrate that the dog can behave politely around other dogs,
two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of about
20 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for
about 10 feet.

- What type of reaction is permitted - I understand a polite one but Sierra loves to play bow any new dog. Is this considered polite on the test?

Test 9: Reaction to distraction
To demonstrate the dog is confident when faced with common distracting
situations, the evaluator will select and present two distractions. Examples
of distractions include dropping a chair, rolling a crate dolly past the dog,
having a jogger run in front of the dog, or dropping a crutch or cane.

- With this one is the dog allowed to startle for a sudden loud noise and then resettle/calm quickly?

Test 10: Supervised separation
This test demonstrates that a dog can be left with a trusted person, if
necessary, and will maintain training and good manners. Evaluators are
encouraged to say something like, “Would you like me to watch your
dog?” and then take hold of the dog’s leash. The owner will go out of sight
for three minute

- Is the dog allowed to look for me? Mine both tend to hunt for me when I disappear (not struggling, straining but intently looking around corners and smelling around). Also what reaction are they allowed to have when I return? Both mine tend to get rather excited to see me - are they allowed to be more happy to see me than remain with the stranger or must they remain fairly still?

I intend to take a "CGC" class to get a better feel for it but as I am new to where we live I am still reviewing training centers for their methods, finding one that even offers a CGC class and working out my schedule at my new job. I want to start working on pieces we may not have down yet until I can find a class to get into.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I have a couple questions about the CGC test -

Test 1: Accepting a friendly stranger
The dog will allow a friendly stranger to approach it and speak to the
handler in a natural, everyday situation.

- I am wondering what reaction the dog is allowed to have? As examples - is the dog allowed to attempt to greet the person or the dog must remain seated beside me?.

Dog is not required to remain sitting (though teaching the dog a good solid sit is going to make the test easier on your and the dog). Dog must not display aggression or fear, shouldn't jump on the person

Test 3: Appearance and grooming
The dog will welcome being groomed and examined and will permit
someone, such as a veterinarian, groomer or friend of the owner, to do so.

- Misty likes to lick the brush - I have no idea why. Do I need to train this out or will her licking the brush be permitted??.
I wouldn't think that would be a problem. If you do the test with TDI modifications, and your dog is licky with people, that might be commented on as something you need to work on.

Test 8: Reaction to another dog
To demonstrate that the dog can behave politely around other dogs,
two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of about
20 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for
about 10 feet.

- What type of reaction is permitted - I understand a polite one but Sierra loves to play bow any new dog. Is this considered polite on the test??.
Pretty much the same as the greeting a human. No aggression or fear. No lunging. Moderate interest is okay. Again, it's best to train your dog to sit or down and wait while you shake hands. Just makes everything easier and safer.

Test 9: Reaction to distraction
To demonstrate the dog is confident when faced with common distracting
situations, the evaluator will select and present two distractions. Examples
of distractions include dropping a chair, rolling a crate dolly past the dog,
having a jogger run in front of the dog, or dropping a crutch or cane.

- With this one is the dog allowed to startle for a sudden loud noise and then resettle/calm quickly? .
The dog can startle but shouldn't show an extended period of anxiousness about it.

Test 10: Supervised separation
This test demonstrates that a dog can be left with a trusted person, if
necessary, and will maintain training and good manners. Evaluators are
encouraged to say something like, “Would you like me to watch your
dog?” and then take hold of the dog’s leash. The owner will go out of sight
for three minute

- Is the dog allowed to look for me? Mine both tend to hunt for me when I disappear (not struggling, straining but intently looking around corners and smelling around). Also what reaction are they allowed to have when I return? Both mine tend to get rather excited to see me - are they allowed to be more happy to see me than remain with the stranger or must they remain fairly still?

I intend to take a "CGC" class to get a better feel for it but as I am new to where we live I am still reviewing training centers for their methods, finding one that even offers a CGC class and working out my schedule at my new job. I want to start working on pieces we may not have down yet until I can find a class to get into.
The dog can look for you, just shouldn't seem overly anxious - lunging, whining, barking, and can be happy for you to return. Note that this is what I've seen in the test, but different evaluators may be more or less strict. It's not a terribly difficult test, but I think it is always better to over-prepare than be just barely there. I teach my students to stop their dogs, sit or down them, and ask them to wait, then step forward for the greetings. Especially the dog to dog. It looks better and prevents a dog from getting too excited and jumping, lunging, etc. which could get him failed.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't think that would be a problem. If you do the test with TDI modifications, and your dog is licky with people, that might be commented on as something you need to work on.
TDI? Therapy dog International right? Just making sure.
What would be the benefits of doing a TDI modified test over just CGC? I am interested in seeing if Sierra could be a therapy dog - taking a class on it to see how naturally it comes to her. She just may be good with kids and people but not quite therapy dog material but she may be and I intend to find out.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
TDI? Therapy dog International right? Just making sure.
What would be the benefits of doing a TDI modified test over just CGC? I am interested in seeing if Sierra could be a therapy dog - taking a class on it to see how naturally it comes to her. She just may be good with kids and people but not quite therapy dog material but she may be and I intend to find out.
Yes, Therapy Dogs International. The TDI certification is basially the CGC with a few modifications - there is medical equipment (we have a wheelchair and a walker) a leave-it (tossed food) and some extra distraction - for instance a child or someone acting like a child. With the CGC you can get a certificate and some fun stuff from AKC. If the dog passes it with TDI modifications, you can be certified for therapy dog visits. Generally, at my place we put the classes together, and have one evaluator for CGC and one for TDI watching the same test (which is usually performed by the TDI evaluator.) So if a dog does well, they can get both certifications at once.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Therapy Dogs International. The TDI certification is basially the CGC with a few modifications - there is medical equipment (we have a wheelchair and a walker) a leave-it (tossed food) and some extra distraction - for instance a child or someone acting like a child. With the CGC you can get a certificate and some fun stuff from AKC. If the dog passes it with TDI modifications, you can be certified for therapy dog visits. Generally, at my place we put the classes together, and have one evaluator for CGC and one for TDI watching the same test (which is usually performed by the TDI evaluator.) So if a dog does well, they can get both certifications at once.
Awesome. I need to find a class like that. Your class isn't in the DFW area is it?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I know it's recommended that you go through a class...
But is there a way to just go to a testing (event? facility?) and do it? I don't have time for a class but I'm pretty sure Soro would do well as he is!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I know it's recommended that you go through a class...
But is there a way to just go to a testing (event? facility?) and do it? I don't have time for a class but I'm pretty sure Soro would do well as he is!
It is recommended but it is not mandatory, the only training facility I went to would just do some extra exercise at the end of a lesson for people that wanted to try the CGC, but it wasn't a full class devoted to the CGC. I never took a class with any of my dogs for the CGC, and my dogs passed with flying colors.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
It is recommended but it is not mandatory, the only training facility I went to would just do some extra exercise at the end of a lesson for people that wanted to try the CGC, but it wasn't a full class devoted to the CGC. I never took a class with any of my dogs for the CGC, and my dogs passed with flying colors.
So... I just have to keep an eye out for when and where these tests are being held?
(thanks, I know I've asked about the CGC before!)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me check around. I know some folks down your way. I'll check to see if anyone is doing CGC/therapy classes.
Thanks! I would love to get her into a class/test prep. I'm pretty sure we have some behaviors to perfect but it also makes me feel better to be over prepared.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts