Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the process of talking to people about a Siberian Husky puppy in 2-3 years. A lot of my research has been done through the breed club which got me to thinking about membership. I was looking at the requirements and it seems like a lot, personally.

Because SHCA, Inc., believes that an applicant for membership should meet certain minimum standards, we provide our guidelines here for your general information:

1. The applicant must have owned a Siberian Husky for at least three years.
2. The applicant must have actively participated in AKC shows, obedience trials, or organized sled dog activities for at least two years.
3. The applicant must be willing to sign the SHCA Code of Ethics.
4. The applicant must be able to furnish two sponsors (not members of the same household) who are members of the SHCA and who have known him personally for at least two years.

-www.shca.org
I understand that they don't necessarily want to "waste time" with people who get the dog because it's cute and fluffy, join, then don't live up to the code of ethics or not do anything with their dog except try to find someone to make puppies with. But, for a person who is trying to get into the breed it seems sort of newbie unfriendly.

I have a Siberian Husky mix with an ILP number (when I got my ILP I don't think mixed breed events were available, otherwise I would have done that). I have only been to one rally competition so far mainly because she doesn't enjoy it as much as other activities and because I am still in the process of learning, although we are still training and plan to trial again next year. Hardly counts as actively participating, methinks. I really wanted to join with a future puppy and do trials but also be apart of the breed club and work with people with similar interests as me, however, it doesn't seem very friendly to put upon these restrictions.

I looked up the Saluki breed club and Rottweiler breed clubs too. For the Saluki, you must have (I think) owned Salukis for 7 years! It seems for the Rottweiler club all you need to do is sign some papers and send in your dues. But wow, 7 years until you can be apart of the breed club? It seems somewhat odd to me.

So, I guess what I am asking is, do you support breed clubs and heavy restrictions or would you rather see more lax restrictions? What about newbies who are getting into the breed and really want to do their best and be apart of breed club activities? Why do breed clubs have heavy restrictions? Would allowing more people to join increase revenue?

Granted, I will still work towards joining and following the requirements but I guess it just really struck me as odd that the various clubs have such different restrictions.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I believe the average length of time someone participates in a breed/showing is 5 years before quitting, so I guess the clubs want to only get the 'serious' folks. But I think that if more clubs were open to people earlier (perhaps limiting voting rights to members with a certain number of years/show experience) it would be a better thing -- perhaps helping pet owners become more interesting in more serious involvement, etc. Also, the extra income wouldn't hurt either. =P

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know that Pai. Even if 5 years is the limit though, wouldn't having that person in the club and being apart of that community increase their chances of staying and staying within the breed? It just seems counter-intuitive to me.

It seems like breed clubs really only appeal to breeders.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
It seems like breed clubs really only appeal to breeders.
Yeah, I agree. In my opinion, any types of outreach to get new people into a breed/showing/breeding responsibly would be very helpful for many clubs and breeds, particularly the rare/endangered ones.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
They might also be worried about byb's using the "being a member of the club" as a selling point for litters that are not carefully planned. I don't think a 3 year limit is bad (how can you say you really know the breed or what's good for the breed without growing up with the breed long enough to see several stages of their life?), or even having experience with the showing/working aspect of it since huskies are a working breed.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
You don't have to be a member of the club to be involved. Perhaps for some things (voting, meetings maybe), but you still have to have two sponsors for two years. To me, that sounds like they WANT you to get involved and get hands-on learning in the breed before they give you a rope to the hot air balloon.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
That's nothing comapred to the requirements for becoming a member of the Afghan Hound Club of America. The big reason for have such strict membership requirements is because the breed club is in charge of the breed standard and judges education. They make important descisions that will affect the breed forever. Almost every descicion or policy the breed clubs has is voted on by its members, and for that reason they want only serious and dedicated members who hae a certain investment in the future of the breed.

You aren't required to be a member of the breed club, or any club, to be involved in dog sports. By the way there are alot more clubs besides the breed club, and they're problably alot more useful to a newbie as well since they usually are local clubs. There's local breed clubs, agility clubs, obedience clubs, conformation clubs, ect.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the replies.

It seems I just didn't understand everything the breed club does. I understand that I don't need to be apart of the breed club to do sports and that wouldn't be the only place I do them. I just have a large interest in the breed and thought that it might be a step in the right direction to become more involved with the breed.

I kind of figured that they would be more open to those who were interested but seeing as how they basically define the breed and it's course throughout the years, I fully understand why such restrictions are placed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts