Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was talked into using my Pomeranian for stud because my dog looked just like a dog that a young lady lost during a simple operation, I agreed to let her use my dog for stud and if they had a puppy that looked like her male that died she could keep it and That I get a puppy from the litter. well the female had two puppies one looked like mine and one looked like hers she sent me a litter registration paper to sign then decided to keep the one that looked like her female so she can breed it after I signed the paper she blocked me on facebook and informed me that since I sign the paper there was nothing I could do, I was getting nothing. I called and wrote to akc to stop the the registration before They got the paper well they too told me I signed it and there was nothing I could do , and the courts don't care about the registration they just care about the value of the puppy ,,, so how do we stop these kind of scams if AKC won't step up ??? any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If AKC got involved in breeder disputes, they wouldn't have time for much else. It's your responsibility to have a binding stud contract, and probably not provide your signature until you had your puppy. . If you didn't have a contract, there's probably not much for your side in going to court. It will simply be she said/she said. You've been taken, but maybe it will be a bit of a lesson on why breeding is best left to the people who know what they are doing, or have a mentor to help them avoid being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding , I do have all conversations in E-Mail and in Facebook regarding our agreement so I feel it is more than he said she said ,I just didn't feel it should be so easy for people to be able to scam others and profit off of it . I am Not a breeder, I just did this out of kindness, but now I just feel taken.. this IS going to court .I will respond with the results , so anyone else can learn from My mistake. again Thank you

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you've produced a litter of puppies (your dog is the sire) then, good or bad, you are a breeder. The term doesn't mean that you produce puppies all the time but, to me (and to many), it means that you have produced puppies. Sorry, pet peeve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello PatchworkRobot
Beautiful Dog ,,
Sorry if I offend anyone, I guess I should say I didn't do this for a profit, I did it to give someone a dog that looks like the dog they lost and thought I could get ME a new dog from my baby as well, turns out This lady had no intentions on replacing her lost male dog, she is keeping the female to breed, she was just looking to make money and AKC just helps her to make more money I am totally against turning Female dogs into puppy machines.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Thank you for responding , I do have all conversations in E-Mail and in Facebook regarding our agreement so I feel it is more than he said she said ,I just didn't feel it should be so easy for people to be able to scam others and profit off of it . I am Not a breeder, I just did this out of kindness, but now I just feel taken.. this IS going to court .I will respond with the results , so anyone else can learn from My mistake. again Thank you

You studded your dog, congratulations, you're now a breeder. Hopefully you learn your lesson, yes people will take advantage, that's why you should be sure to have a contract spelling out the terms of the stud and the fees involved (be it a pup or monetary).

Hello PatchworkRobot
Beautiful Dog ,,
Sorry if I offend anyone, I guess I should say I didn't do this for a profit, I did it to give someone a dog that looks like the dog they lost and thought I could get ME a new dog from my baby as well, turns out This lady had no intentions on replacing her lost male dog, she is keeping the female to breed, she was just looking to make money and AKC just helps her to make more money I am totally against turning Female dogs into puppy machines.
AKC does nothing of the type, they register litters THATS IT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I to did buy an AKC registered dog I was considering putting him in dog shows because I was going to alot of them around my neighborhood and even thought I could try agility if he was not show quality. all my other dogs are fixed, Dog shows don't allow fixed dogs , I guess yes now I am a breeder, I just would not have allow my dog to breed if I knew what this young ladys intentions really were, If I wrote a check and called the bank to stop that check before it cashed they would ,I just feel as me being an equal part of these puppies I should be able to stop the registration with my signature before AKC received the papers..

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
what is wrong about her wanting to breed the dog? How is it any more wrong than you agreeing to breed yours " to get a puppy that looks like hers".

I wont get into what I feel about breed registries, but it was your responsibility to breed or not. Hopefully, both of these dogs are ideal breed specimens, perfect temperaments, excellent conformation, healthy and tested (like no luxating patellas) , and surely comparable sheared both dogs would compliment each others qualities. If so, and if that puppy has all of the above, then there should not be a problem. If not, then maybe a lesson was learned, and you can steer people away from purchasing puppies from back yard breeders.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hello PatchworkRobot
Beautiful Dog ,,
See, though. That's not AKC's fault. It's yours for not covering your bases and doing your research.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again I just feel as me being an equal part of these puppies, I should be able to stop the registration with my signature, (before AKC received the papers)..no court gets involved with the registration part either. This dog will be nothing more than a puppy maker , and yes its my fault for thinking people can be trusted, I fell for her oh poor me story and that all her dogs were pets that she was sad over the sudden loss of her dog ..stupid ME ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok to all in here I did take this young lady to court and won and it may turn out she tried to register these puppies under another dogs name so AKC IS looking in to this And I did win in court plus she had to Pay court cost ,, Thank you for all your advice and opinions..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts