Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At our Obedience class tonight there was a wiry coated solid black dog. I asked them if it was an Airedale cross. They were quite insulted, they said it was a purebred registered Airedale. I told them they only come in black and tan and they said they had bought it in Alberta and it was very rare and they had papers for it.

Anyone else ever heard of a solid black Airedale? Am I right in saying they only come in black and tan? There are so many breeds nowadays coming up in different coat colors, maybe they come in black now.

If it was an Airedale it certainly had poor conformation, lowset tail and poor earset.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I just checked the AKC site and not only are they not allowed to show in solid black but they can't even be registered as pet quality black

only colors are black an tan and grizzle and tan

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It's like a white GSD- the color is not officially acceptable but there are breeders who like the 'cool' factor of a non-standard dog. It might well be purebred (Black-and-tan pattern reverting to solid black isn't COMMON but also isn't THAT unheard of, there's a case mentioned in Little) and was then perpetuated by a fad breeder. There's also solid reds (although I suspect those have a bit of Irish Terrier brought in.)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
It's like a white GSD- the color is not officially acceptable but there are breeders who like the 'cool' factor of a non-standard dog. It might well be purebred (Black-and-tan pattern reverting to solid black isn't COMMON but also isn't THAT unheard of, there's a case mentioned in Little) and was then perpetuated by a fad breeder. There's also solid reds (although I suspect those have a bit of Irish Terrier brought in.)
but even the AKC allows GSD's to be registered as white. They don't even allow the AT to be registered as Black

but ya I agree with you about the fad breeding

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
At our Obedience class tonight there was a wiry coated solid black dog. I asked them if it was an Airedale cross. They were quite insulted, they said it was a purebred registered Airedale. I told them they only come in black and tan and they said they had bought it in Alberta and it was very rare and they had papers for it.
Funny that people get a 'very rare' color variant of a breed that's almost never seen, then get insulted if people think it's a mix. Silly people.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Somewhere, on another forum, there's an Airedale owner posting something like, "Can you believe the nerve? Telling me my dog is a mutt?"

IMO there's little to be gained from such a confrontation.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Somewhere, on another forum, there's an Airedale owner posting something like, "Can you believe the nerve? Telling me my dog is a mutt?"

IMO there's little to be gained from such a confrontation.
I do agree, why rain on somebody's parade when it's not necessary. I think sometime the person/persons giving the unnecessary opinion do so to impress others with their vast dog knowledge. It's kinda like calling somebody's baby ugly(I know all babies are suppose to be beautiful some are not as beautiful as others though)it's hurtful as you really can't return the baby/dog

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
but even the AKC allows GSD's to be registered as white. They don't even allow the AT to be registered as Black

but ya I agree with you about the fad breeding
There's lots of colors for different breeds that aren't registerable with the AKC. I can think of at least 3 afghan hound colors that aren't listed. Just because it's not there doesn't mean that it can't happen. To my knowledge in order for a new color to be listed it has to be approved by the breed club. From my experience breeders just register the off colors as whatever's closest and do their best keep records that the dog isn't realy the registered color.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I do agree, why rain on somebody's parade when it's not necessary. I think sometime the person/persons giving the unnecessary opinion do so to impress others with their vast dog knowledge. It's kinda like calling somebody's baby ugly(I know all babies are suppose to be beautiful some are not as beautiful as others though)it's hurtful as you really can't return the baby/dog
How was the OP supposed to know that they were raining on someone else's parade by mistakenly calling their dog a... a... a.. MUTT! :eek: I mean, I agree, I wouldn't have added the "They only come in black and tan" But if someone is going to get so deeply offended by having another person mistakenly referring to their dog as something it's not, then that person really needs to get a grip. There are worse things that can happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts